• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation Unveils Swimming Team TV Anime Free! for July

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Its the exact same name, including the exclamation point, and people really think its just a coincidence?

Yes, the manga "Free!" Truly a visionary in the field of titles, using an English word an a question mark, which has never been done before in the history of Japanese media!

RyanSaotome wrote:
Are you guys just trolling?

Are you just trolling?
Parse Error

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Its the exact same name, including the exclamation point

Those are not at all uncommon in anime titles.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
Are you just trolling?

No, I'm just reporting that a manga with the exact same name as KyoAnis next major anime got canned due to "various reasons". Thats about as obvious as it gets that it got canned due to the new KyoAni anime being announced... either due to KyoAni putting pressure on the magazine, or not wanting to deal with being confused with KyoAnis new anime so the magazine cancelled it on its own. Either way, its due to this new anime being announced.
Draneor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
This conspiracy goes even beyond the 4koma. KyoAni also ripped the title off of a 2001 comedy, an episode of Desperate Housewives, and the stage name of a rapper. How much of our cultural heritage much KyoAni destroy before we fight back?

Last edited by Draneor on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rextyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
musouka wrote:
Are you just trolling?

No, I'm just reporting that a manga with the exact same name as KyoAnis next major anime got canned due to "various reasons". Thats about as obvious as it gets that it got canned due to the new KyoAni anime being announced... either due to KyoAni putting pressure on the magazine, or not wanting to deal with being confused with KyoAnis new anime so the magazine cancelled it on its own. Either way, its due to this new anime being announced.

No, yet another generic manga got cancelled and you're looking for a reason to feel persecuted since KyoAni "betrayed" you.
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
musouka wrote:
Are you just trolling?

Do you seriously not understand the difference between a "hiatus" and "cancellation"? It's right there in one of the links you provided.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
musouka wrote:
Are you just trolling?

Do you seriously not understand the difference between a "hiatus" and "cancellation"? It's right there in one of the links you provided.

"Indefinite Hiatus" is a nice PR term for "Cancelled".
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I sure hope Gary Wright launches that suite against Adobe for stealing the name "Dream Weaver".
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

No, "cancelled" is a term for "cancelled".
Parse Error

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Either way, its due to this new anime being announced.

I know you're disappointed that this is at least one less KyoAni aimed at you, and possibly more if it's successful, but there's really no need to get hysterical over it or start demonizing them. Haven't you been on the other side of these kind of arguments often enough to know all this stuff is pointless?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Yes, they don't want to offend the sensibilities of all those "Free!" fans out there.

Christ Ryan get over it. You never even knew this manga existed so your sudden concern is, quite frankly, offensive.
fromtheashes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
What the f*** did I just read in these last couple of pages????

RyanSaotome, we all know that you don't like the idea of this show being made. Whatever. We like different things. You don't have to watch it. But it's not cool to spoil someone's fun by coming out with some conspiracy theory that is simply based on you spreading hate for this show and for KyoAni. Get over it and take the petty arguments somewhere else.
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote
All this hatred is so amusing to watch.

For the most part, people are just obtusely expressing their homophobia. I also see an awful lot of misogyny. How shameful.

For others, it's just the usual, heavily biased KyoAni hatred. Yeah, because I'm sure that their quality, relatable, and (sometimes) emotional and meaningful works are far worse than anything Xebec or JC Staff have made in recent years.

Kastel wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Another reason to dislike this anime.

http://seventhstyle.com/2013/04/26/kyoto-animation-hijacked-name-from-4koma/

Its forced a cancellation of a moe manga named "Free!"

How low can KyoAni go??? We all know stealing names = Canceling a work :O!!!

Not enough face palms can be made for this accusation. Coincidences do happen, ladies and gentlemen, and not all companies are evil corporates hell-bent on screwing over their consumers (no, that's Capcom's job). KyoAni is a company that enjoys animating - I find it hard to believe that they would actually go out their way to do something as petty as stealing a name, especially something as easily thought up and simple as "FREE".

But HEY, what do I know? I'm just a fair, feminist, understanding, non-homophobic and non-judgemental otaku who fights with the power of love rather than hatred. Surely, I must be the spawn of some devilish weeaboo!

Can't wait to watch this anime, btw. KyoAni hasn't disappointed this guy, yet. Anime smile
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Poor Ryan. His favorite company slept with another demographic, and now it's just "used goods" to him now...
TeenChibi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome, chill out.

You (along with many others) clearly didn't care about the "original" Free! prior to this ridiculous speculation. I don't believe KyoAni has that much power to cancel a manga. It's just a coincidence and you know it. Manga share similar titles and get canceled all of the time. Hell even songs, TV shows, and movies share the same names.

As you always preach, anime is made to make money for people who buy it the most. (I.E. Otaku and Fujoshi.) This anime will most likely make money as the fujoshi's dollar is just as potent as the Otaku as proven many times already. Just accept that Japanese animation studios aren't restricted to creating one type of anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 58