• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Dark Sols: Prepare to Crowdfund Edition

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Evangelion 3.33: Nobody Seems To [Like] This Movie

How about "Evangelion 3.33: This Movie Is [Not] All That".

I haven't actually seen it myself yet, because I'm waiting in hope that it will be at a local theater like the last one.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, I'm really surprised by Zac's take on Eva 3.33. I had pretty much entirely the opposite reaction- I thought it started very strong with some really cool new plot directions and alternate takes on the characters but the last 40 minutes or so felt rushed, choppy and nonsensical to the point that it ultimately left me feeling cold on the entire movie.

Then again story-wise I always preferred the earlier parts of Eva (not that I don't love much of the second half of the series) so maybe that's why. It felt like the flaws in the series were coming at me all at once, compacted into a much smaller time frame.

Maybe I need to watch it again, I don't know Confused
cheetahpretty

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Eva 3.33 was my first exposure to Evangelion. I've never seen the show, nor have I seen the first two movies. It was...interesting. The two things I got out of it were that it gave me shounen-ai-y vibes and that Shinji is at fault for everything. Smile
The crazy girl from Flowers of Evil is named Nakamura. I actually like the rotoscoping in that show, but I don't really like the show itself. I definitely have respect for it. It just seems like the type of story about unpleasant people doing unpleasant things. The show kind of reminds me of Girls in that way. It's well-done, it's just not my thing.
Suisei no Gargantia is my favorite show of this season. Attack on Titan makes me want to read the manga.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Glad you liked eva 3.33 zac, it is a great expansion to the franchise. I really do not believe it deserve the hate it's getting, but fans will have to give it some time. I expected anno to pull off a huge gaianx type last half but it even caught me by surprise.

Spoilers below:
spoiler[I did not expect shinji to trigger the 3rd impact which of course started to kill everyone in the world off. Thankfully kaworu sacrificed himself to stop the full impact but half the world if not more was turned to tang.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
This is fairly saddening about Kids on the Slope. It's a series I would show to people who dont normally watch anime. I have the blu-ray sitting here and the fact that they arent going to fix it is abysmal.

Even Aniplex switches out entire sets or sends out new discs regardless and that cant be cheap.

Regarding The Great Gatsby, my heart sunk a little bit once Jay-Z got attached to it. Because when you think Great Gatsby you think of a horrible rap "artist".
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
My only personal problem with 3.33 is that it simply couldn't stand on its own as it feels too much like a "sequal", the second movie you could potentialy plant someone who has seen NONE of the Eva series, not even the first Rebuild movie, and pretty much follow the length of the film, the third movie completely relies on the audience being more than a little psyched after the second and possibly at least scene the original series final two episodes to get all the "meta" refferences.

More importantly, 3.33 is a piece of work that is BETTER than End of Evangelion.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I wish Sam and the rest of the Anime Sols team the best. It's a great idea that will either live or die on the content it provides. I can see a market for some of the Tezuka, and the Tatsunoko stuff but I don't know about Creamy Mami ... Of course that's a situation where I'd love to be wrong.

It's easy to see where Zac is coming from with the sentiment regarding failed series. If I have 2/3rds of Yatterman but the remaining sets fail I might be a bit hesitant towards supporting other projects. Hopefully Anime Sols brings in the super hardcore audience who will want the entire series so cases like that don't become common.

I do have some questions about the service. Will the DVDs contain English dubs? Not all of the shows have them, but stuff like Tekkaman, and Yatterman (though this was a South East Asia dub) do. As well, how long will the episodes be streaming for? Will content be cycled out each week, go as long as the DVD campaign, or will they be up for as long as it's possible?
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
My only personal problem with 3.33 is that it simply couldn't stand on its own as it feels too much like a "sequal", the second movie you could potentialy plant someone who has seen NONE of the Eva series, not even the first Rebuild movie, and pretty much follow the length of the film, the third movie completely relies on the audience being more than a little psyched after the second and possibly at least scene the original series final two episodes to get all the "meta" refferences.

More importantly, 3.33 is a piece of work that is BETTER than End of Evangelion.

Its called Evangelion 3.33, why would it be expected to "stand alone". If you haven't seen the others you shouldnt be expected to be able to understand it.

It's something that has been irritating me recently with this talk. Not every anime movie should be seen as stand alone. Sure if its based off something and is a re imagining, then yes, it should. But if its billed as a sequel, then why would ANYONE every expect it to stand alone, especially with the Evangelion project, when its the third part of a series.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Dubbing probably depends on how much they can raise. Which given the prices ($15k-25k, and it could be higher if they want to include dubs) probably is a lot. I have doubts this can work.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what's even gonna be available with this Anime Souls, it'd be nice to pony up for something like Gin'eiden, but I can't see that specific series happening. How about some Pierrot Magical Girls like Creamy Mami? That'd be nice to see an official release for, but there's so much other crap that one could possibly choose.... which leads me to think about what kind of limitations might appear for how many shows are available at a time and how they'll be advertised.

It really all hinges on what titles they put up. Regardless of good they are, you're not going to raise money with the likes of World Masterpiece Theater anime.

Edit: listened to a bit more. I hope Creamy Mami does well, I'd like to see that on DVD with some decent quality. From what I can tell, it sounds like this project is limited to DVD only, which is kind of sad when older things are finally get some BD love like Minky Momo.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri May 03, 2013 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Primus

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Dubbing probably depends on how much they can raise. Which given the prices ($15k-25k, and it could be higher if they want to include dubs) probably is a lot. I have doubts this can work.

I guess I should clarify that I mean already existing dubs. I wouldn't expect any new work (outside of subtitling and DVD authoring) to be done by Anime Sols.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah my feelings on 3.33 are pretty negative. I don't quite like the Rebuild movies as I feel they are quite pointless and don't feel as personable as the tv show.

I guess my problem is yes, this movie has a lot of changes and yes I do not like them compared to what I liked about the tv show. But these changes just seem so random and nonsensical. And you know what I can't really tell you why.

spoiler[I don't like the new status quo. The way Nerv works seems unrealistic compared to the grounded way it worked in the tv show.I don't like the new characters. Misatio is just well kind of a bitch, who perhaps could have avoided a lot of the problems if she just told Shinji what was up, which she can't because if she did'nt the movie wouldn't work. Asuka is well just annoying, there seems to be no pathos at all compared to her tv show version, she simply is just loaud obnoxious girl that the tv show was able to get away with because of her actual background. Mari is even more useless in this movie, with her seemingly only point being saying mysterious stuff while sounding violent because Eva didn't have that girl character.

I don't like the new Kaoru, who somehow happen to have this great piano in this bombed out place. What? In the tv show, Kaoru was just this person who was sent to Nerv and the way he meet Shinji and was able to interact with him made a lot of sense. They work at the same place and Shinji's alone and has no one else to interact with. I mean I guess the alone part is true in the movie, but it just feels unnatural and more contrived in how they interact in the movie compared to the tv show

And then well I mean it just seems like there's no rules or rythem to how the world works. I mean here's an Eva in Lillith with two lances, why? I have no idea and that's how it seems like the entire 2nd half of the movie was. Just random new plot elements that to me made no sense to me.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

I do have some questions about the service. Will the DVDs contain English dubs? Not all of the shows have them, but stuff like Tekkaman, and Yatterman (though this was a South East Asia dub) do. As well, how long will the episodes be streaming for? Will content be cycled out each week, go as long as the DVD campaign, or will they be up for as long as it's possible?

Happy to answer these questions for you:

The DVDs might include an english dub if an uncut version exists and the Japanese companies own the rights to it. The dub for Tekkaman is NOT uncut and Tatsunoko does not own the rights to it, therefore it wouldn't be included on the DVD set. English dubs that were created for non-western markets might be considered for inclusion on the DVDs however if it would raise the cost significantly I'm not sure it would be a smart move.

The content on the site will be available for as long as the goals are up and then probably for quite a while longer.
We'll never take down earlier episodes while still streaming later episodes of the same series, so you can always watch a show from episode 1.
However, since Anime Sols doesn't have a membership and is not planning on making enough money to be sustainable just on advertising, we won't keep full shows up indefinitely (we'll probably keep the first few episodes of everything up forever as a free preview after DVDs have been produced).
That being said, once subtitles are finished our partner companies are free to sell the streaming rights to other sites like Hulu or Crunchyroll, so I would expect the shows to continue to be streamed somewhere after they are successful on Anime Sols.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
When talking about summer movies, I honestly think Man of Steel looks incredible. That last trailer really sparked my interest in it. Movie could still end up being disappointing, but at least it looks more interesting than Iron Man 3.

Last edited by Oneeyedjacks on Fri May 03, 2013 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emichan

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Creamy Mami is the thing I'm looking forward to the most~~~ <3 <3 I love Mami. This year is her 30th anniversary celebration, and there have been all kinds of fun events and goods released in Japan to mark the event. <3 I've been a happy camper.

I'd also like to see Magical Emi licensed too... (and the other Pierrot magical girls)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10