• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, April 21-27

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh~ The Spice and Wolf light novel made it.

*Also, the Alice in the Country of Hearts cover is incorrect. It shows volume 1, rather than 2.
Alexander55

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
The NYTimes is like a popularity contest, I don't see myself buying half of these titles or using this as a guide to purchase the listed Manga. I rather read them myself(both IRL and online) before I make my purchase.

NYTimes=An Outdated old newspaper vying for modern day relevance.
Too bad they aren't as good as they were back in the 90's.
Alll

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
i don't see much passion online for Yu Gi Oh yet is one of the best selling here, i guess little children are the ones who buy it, after all, Yugioh is for them, but usually teenagers or young adults are into Naruto or Bleach
Primus

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Alll wrote:
i don't see much passion online for Yu Gi Oh yet is one of the best selling here, i guess little children are the ones who buy it, after all, Yugioh is for them, but usually teenagers or young adults are into Naruto or Bleach

I believe Viz stuffs some trading cards into the volumes so collectors might buy them for that.

Alexander55 wrote:
The NYTimes is like a popularity contest, I don't see myself buying half of these titles or using this as a guide to purchase the listed Manga. I rather read them myself(both IRL and online) before I make my purchase.

This is a sales chart. Why would it not be based on popularity?
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I see Railgun something I am collecting, though I hope Seven Seas keeps releasing them though they have caught up to the Japanese manga.

I would collect the Spice and Wolf light novels at some point!
Alexander55

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
This is a sales chart. Why would it not be based on popularity?

Hence why its a popularity contest. And where are the "sales?" Where's the numbers? Do these people even keep track of all sales pertaining to Manga? I doubt it.

NYTimes/ICV2 are about as honest about their sales of Manga just as VGChartz is about video games. You just can't trust what they say because they probably don't even know how much something sold.
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
The bestsellers charts - for all books - reflect sales from bookstores (Barnes and Noble, Amazon, etc.). This is a division of the full bestseller list. So, no, they probably don't reflect how many people bought the new Black Butler and Spice and Wolf books from RightStuf (as I did), but these lists are important. They're important for book stores to see what's worth stocking, Licensing companies probably take these sales figures into account when deciding what to license, etc. They're not meant to tell you what to buy.

Also... yes. #1. Always <3 (also this is the best part of the manga so far.)

++ it's definitely interesting to see a light novel on the list! Hope it keeps up there (and some others chart) so they can license more of them!
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least Negima made it for its swan song...I'd do anything to have it continued Sad
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
I just discovered yesterday that they were releasing A Certain Scientific Railgun manga here and I didn't even know it HAD a manga! Now I gotta find a store that has volume 1 lol.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
Spice and Wolf at No.2. So enjoying this novel.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Alll wrote:

They all ran in the same magazine and are aimed at the same demographic.

And there's tons of stuff dedicated to Yu-Gi-Oh online. Just probably not as much given it doesn't sell as much as Naruto, and it's not legally available uncut so people have to resort to fansubs so it's more hidden than rolling on over to Crunchyroll or whatever. Back when 4Kids had it they threatened people who uploaded the torrents, but now that they're dead it's a bit more open and the torrents can be posted at more places, for example.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL, in the USA Yu-Gi-Oh! was definitely marketed closely with Naruto and Bleach a couple years ago when Shonen Jump Magazine was still a thing and all three ran together there. However, I feel like recently the audience for Bleach/Naruto has gotten older while Yu-Gi-Oh!'s still skews younger: Bleach and Naruto's anime are aired at midnight on Adult Swim while Yu-Gi-Oh! is still a Saturday morning thing on Toonzai or Nicktoons or wherever fate has tossed that poor show!

In Japan obviously the three share a demographic, but here I think it's changed a bit! Isn't that weird?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1