• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NEETs in Japan Reach 630,000, Women Account for Almost 40%

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
So is this a problem, because I'm not 100% sure how this is significant, somebody please explain it to me and break it down for me so I can get a better understanding.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
So is this a problem, because I'm not 100% sure how this is significant, somebody please explain it to me and break it down for me so I can get a better understanding.

NEETs are basically shut-ins that don't enter the workforce or do anything beneficial for society. I have to say 630,000 is a pretty small number, though.
Araki

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
NEETs are basically shut-ins that don't enter the workforce or do anything beneficial for society.

Although shut-ins are, by default, NEETs, a NEET isn't necessarily a shut-in.
Sasukeuzi

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

they pretty much bring down the nation's economy and live a life in their houses 24/7. it turns out to be a huge problem since it'll be difficult to find a job or to even live when financial support from your parents and such are cut off.
u should watch Welcome to the NHK, Heaven's Memo Pad, or Eden of the East to get a general idea.
and for the sake of bad puns ill just throw this in there:
Sounds NEET...because u kno neat and NEET and... ill stop

Last edited by Sasukeuzi on Mon May 06, 2013 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
And the total population?
HigherFive

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Sasukeuzi wrote:
Sounds NEET...because u kno neat and NEET and... ill stop

Stopping now is the only NEET thing to do.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

last census reported 128 million, mind you I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the NEET ratio was closer to 1% of the population instead of .5%.
consignia

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Is this that bad? British unemployment is way higher, 2 million, (source) for a smaller population. I'm not saying either way, since I'm just comparing with another figure I know, not looking at global trends.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
So there 40% of girls neets who needs a sugar daddy
Sasukeuzi

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
Is this that bad? British unemployment is way higher, 2 million, (source) for a smaller population. I'm not saying either way, since I'm just comparing with another figure I know, not looking at global trends.

NEETism is generally different from unemployment rates. the number of NEETs is only made up of younger ages of the population, so from ages 18-25, somewhere around that age range is from what im guessing. NEETs could make up a small portion of unemployment
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

127.8 million in 2011, so yeah, it's a relatively small number by comparison. However, they've also got another nearly 30 million (23.1%) over age 65 and that number keeps going up thanks to Japan's declining birth rate. Any additional amount, even if it's just a small percent of the population, is going to weigh down on them.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
consignia

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Sasukeuzi wrote:

NEETism is generally different from unemployment rates. the number of NEETs is only made up of younger ages of the population, so from ages 18-25, somewhere around that age range is from what im guessing. NEETs could make up a small portion of unemployment

OK, so according to wikipedia, a UK NEET is 16-24 and Japanese NEET is 15-34. The UK demographic roughly corresponds to Youth Unemployment which is 979,000 (source). Again, I'm not commenting on anything, just putting my first statement into proper context.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
This is a pretty interesting piece of news. I was unaware that women we also part of this matter, because males were always the percentage reported. Things must be getting pretty crazy there as well as the rest of the world.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Everything I know about NEETs, I have learned from Kuraghime/Princess Jellyfish.

... That said, I don't I understand it... unless it's a lot like my generation who live off their parents? Cause the economy sucks, and we can?

They explained it rather nicely on the show... but I believe it was from a very skewed, biased NEET pov. Too lazy to look up the quote/scene/explanation at the moment.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5