• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Water World

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nechronius

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually quite interested in what your opinion is of the final shows of the past season. If you would consider at some point posting your opinions, I think many would appreciate it. Or at least find some reason to criticize you harshly with the internetz beatstick.

I, however, am genuinely curious.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I largely agree with you about Gargantia, it's my favorite new show of the season and I am happy to see it at No. 1

But...I wonder what you thought of episode 5, which was a huge disappointment to me. Hopefully it will be back on track with episode 6.

And I still do want to hear your thoughts on the final episode of From the New World.

Anyways of the new spring shows besides Gargantia rounding up my top 3 are Titans and The Devil is a Part Timer.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind seeing an append (or The Stream+) in a week or so to finish up last seasons series.

Edit:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
But...I wonder what you thought of episode 5, which was a huge disappointment to me. Hopefully it will be back on track with episode 6.

I took the opposite from that episode actually. It was one part contractually required swim-suit episode, one part continuation of the themes Gargantia's been developing since the 3rd episode (well, really started putting a focus on). Can't say I found the crossdresser gag to be in very good taste though. That was the worst part of the episode.

I'm thankful they seem to be wanting to shelf Chambers from here on out. While the dialog that resulted from Chambers being ultimate death machine made sense thematically, in-universe logic felt a bit flakey.

Last edited by PlatinumHawke on Mon May 06, 2013 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Durga

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit that Mushibugyo is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. Yes, there's nothing inherently special about it, but I kind of appreciate its unabashed use of shonen cliches, and I really like the color design. Nowhere near the best of the season, but it's like that Saturday morning cartoon you know is dumb but consume anyway because of its unpretentious sense of fun.

Meanwhile I couldn't stand Majestic Prince. I'm not a fan of the designs (unlike Flowers of Evil, the ugliness doesn't help the show), and I don't like any of the characters of the cast, so I found myself really bored. With two much better mecha shows out this season, albeit mecha shows with drastically different flavors, I didn't see any point in watching more.

So far this season is much stronger than last. I have 8 shows I'm consistently enjoying so far, where as last season I only ended up liking two shows.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
In regards to why they used and keep using the misfit pilots in Majestic Prince, the show explained that pretty explicitly. I don't know how you could have missed it.
nechronius

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I just realized there's no "Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat" on the Stream list. That's quite unfortunate. It's considerably better than some of the titles on that list. Get past episode 1 and it's much, much better. I am looking forward to upcoming episodes.

Photo Kano I'm watching just to see how bad it can get. I don't think it's nearly as horrible as a lot of people made it out to be just based on its premise, but it IS pretty bad, primarily because it's so dull and it's given no hints at anything remarkable coming up.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Agreed on Karneval, I've read the manga so I knew that at least the start of the show was gonna be rough but I was hoping that the writer/director could work some magic and make it flow better. So far it is flowing a little better but yeah, I'm feeling a bit frustrated at it especially since it's going to end before, IMO, it starts to hit it's stride.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
At least Bamboo admits the previous episodes in Chihayafuru have been dragging out. Still love it myself but, they might need a third season just to cover the single matches. Space Bros is fine for now. =__=

Gargantia: Without the inclusion of ep. 5 (ugh), I still look forward to the show. There are some technicalities that still need to be addressed (freshwater, presence of land, etc.) and quite a few characters need to be fleshed out more. Ledo strikes me as a naive guy trying to find his place in the world so I hope he finds something solid before the series ends.

RDG/Devil Survivor 2/Karneval/Cime Edge/Hentai Prince-All average shows so not much to comment on for now. Hate how Karneval has such promise as an action/adventure but, every episode makes feel either confused or bored.
Hentai Prince, in a way, more "mature" with it's presence than I expected. Yes there are cliches (there are two tsunderes) here and there plus, the hero gets really preachy at times, but the whole "facades" scenario is quite interesting.

Flowers of Evil: Finally, people are getting over the art. The issue is the pacing; ep. 5 and we just got to the 2nd volume. The ambiance is fine but, at times it feels like more than 25 minutes due to how slow everything feels.

Devil is a Part-Timer and Attack on Titan: Both are fun shows but, AOT does comes off as cheesy and over dramatic most of time. I'm only worried that the love triangle in Part-Timer will take up majority of the latter half of the series.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
I just realized there's no "Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat" on the Stream list.

Also no Oreimo 2, which is one show that I have been enjoying this season.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When lives are at stake, it doesn't seem wise to continue using these teenage misfits in combat, just to wait around and see if they'll get better or not. And yet, that's the entire crux of the show—waiting for our protagonists to get their situation together, to form the super team that we know they'll eventually be.

I'm pretty sure they explained that multiple times in the first 4 episodes alone. The JULIA/ JURIA System relies on the pilot's survival instincts in addition to being specifically tuned to DNA. Now, this group of "misfits" have exceptional high skills in their own field in addition to ABNORMALLY high survival instincts. It's just that they suck at teamwork.

Quote:
(Really? Some guy's little sister is a secret commander of an anti-super-mech-lady taskforce? Please.)

Kotori isn't in charge of it. It's a different branch, if I remember. It's just that the work in tandem. It's like how you could have your legit infantry army (the mecha girls) but also your special operations units (Kotori's team.)

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Mon May 06, 2013 9:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Poor Leviathan. Yeah, you make good points, but I still find it entertaining as a cute time-killer.

The filler episode of Chihayafuru was dumb but I've not gotten bored of any of the rest of the show yet. If anything I'm just happy they keep playing Karuta, since that's what the show does best.

Also, Bamboo, please acknowledge this suggestion; you should change the name of the column to TEH STREAMZORZ.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

Quote:
(Really? Some guy's little sister is a secret commander of an anti-super-mech-lady taskforce? Please.)

Kotori isn't in charge of it. It's a different branch, if I remember. It's just that the work in tandem. It's like how you could have your legit infantry army (the mecha girls) but also your special operations units (Kotori's team.)

the AST and Ratatoskr are not working together. The AST wants to eliminate all Spirits with extreme prejudice and Ratatoskr, the organization Kotori is head of, wants to coexist with the Spirits, or something like that
sainta

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
The fifth episode of Attack on Titan was awesome. I mean, that ending full of emotions!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I like Gargantia, but I don't really see many special qualities to it. It's pretty, but I'm not getting a whole lot out of it beyond it being pretty and "stranger in a strange land".
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Ranking Yuyushiki below Photo Kano should be a chargeable offense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11