• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gundamlion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:50 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Kidder wrote:
oh lord I hope we don't start arguing about the definition of "anime".

Anime, n.
1. Japanese animation.

It's pretty much as simple as that.

A debate could be started about whether American shows with Japanese involvement/staff is anime, or vica verca (I think a thread was made about that quite a while back), but seeing as how The Boondocks had no Japanese involvement whatsoever (at least to my knowledge), there's not even an argument for it, and it is obviously not anime.

By the way, my least favorite kind of vegetable are apples. I mean, they're not even vegetables, and they suck! Jeez, they don't deserve to be vegetables! That's why they're my least favorite type of vegetables!

I couldn't agree more Laughing
rumpague

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Pastelflash color fades across the soft denim of the sky into the thinning clouds, a rising beachplum breeze ringing the wind chimes to call an end to day. There is the soft mope of love birds in the oak nearby against the drone of an evening lawnmower on the next street over. Ah, summer.

I Iove wireless networks. Sorry.

Anime, right. Favorite Anime.

1) Planetes. This is the real deal, 26 episodes / 650 minutes of primo animation that redacts the courage, anger, love, ambition and laughter fueling the engine of humanity and casts the distillation into a rocketship future. Hakimachi is the ultimate contrast to plug-and-play mecha pilots, a workingman who spends years in the Big Empty honing his EVA and piloting skills so as to grasp with both hands a berth on the Jupiter Expedition (akin to shipping out with Magellan on the Victoria during the circumnavigation), never expecting his emotions to gust up and blow him from his course. Amidst the current catalog of increasingly derivative titles, Planetes offers a unique and realistic story of COULD BE from a future that bounces from our grasping fingertips like a helium filled surgical glove.

2) Cowboy Bebop. I can't hope to match the terrabytes of data that previous writers have cascaded past your eyes, friend otaku. This is the show you can't turn off at 1:30 AM, even after every episode has incremented past double digits in the register kept behind your eyes; and, I'll list some reasons why it resonates with me: action and humor, great names like Jet Black and Spike Spiegel and Vicious, kinetic Jun Fan Jeet Kun Do, Faye Valentine and her lost history, questions on why Spike uses an outmoded Isreali Ta'as Jericho 9/41 pistol and has a cybernetic eye... y'know, cool stuff. And, Yoko Kanno and The Seatbelts.

3) Honey and Clover. This anime is like a smile hanging at the corners of your serious expression and threatening to hijack your face. College students learning about life and love, with the requisite doses of angst and tenderness and connected by the thread of binge drinking. Great music, atypical animation that correctly echoes the style and watercolor pallette of the manga it was inspired by, and extremely well developed characters full of human foibles. I watched the final episode and as the final credits rolled I felt like my best friends had moved away. Luckily, with a live - action film and a new animated series, they're due back into town at any minute! I need to go get beer...

4) His and Her Circumstances (Kare Kano). When Hideaki Anno finished with his Wagnerian / Freudian morass of an ultimate mecha anime, he directed what I consider one of the finest anime ever made: His and Her Circumstances. Adapting the popular high- school manga as both screenwriter and director, he absolutely won me over as I watched each episode and said aloud "So THAT is why they say he's a genius..." It is as if by some alchemy Anno crystalized nostalgia and packaged it in bite- size portions, each fulfilling emotional rewind lasting exactly 25 minutes a pop. All the little dramatic mechanisms work here, from the artful pauses and city still- lives to the Gainax character deformities; especially impactful is the plentiful inclusion of manga- ka Masami Tsuda's original art. It would be unreasonable for me to demand that all 21 tankoubon be animated, but damn it...!!

5) Ghost in the Shell anything. Sometimes, a concept is just so perfect that it bursts goddess- like from the head of Zeus (or the man publically known as Masamune Shirow) and demands to be admired. Such it is with the GITS multiverse and Major Motoko Kusanagi. Pick your poison, there ain't a bad show in the bunch. With fine plotting and storylines, and what I consider above average animation across the board, either the "primary" or alternate versions of this compelling story of Section 9 redefining legality and the urban rules of engagement meet the highest recommendations. And, again, Yoko Kanno... how can one go wrong, I ask?

Unappealing:
I just hate a lack of subtlety or complete senselessness... so, my frowners are as follows:
- Divergence Eve
- Gravion anything
- Milk Chan
- Magikano
- Shadow Skill anything

Don't like my choices? I welcome reasoned debate, try and change my mind or introduce me to what YOU like.
ann186186

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:00 am Reply with quote
hmm top 10 facorite ehh

1. Princess Mononoke: this one just got to me..i just love it especially in japanese though i have to use the sub titles and junk the voices and reactions are just so much better..i suggest that you watch it in japanese just makes it ten times better

2.Howl's moving castle: yes i am a big fan of miyazaki(sp?) this one i watched recently for the first time and it was so good

3. Gravitation: so good and it reminds me of my fav. tv series so...

4. Chobits: Chi is just so cute and the story is good

5.Fruits basket: the sohma's and the chinese zodiac and the cat

6. Bleach: Soul reapers and KON!!!! and the action is great

7. Loveless: hmm this one i liked though the tv series is good the mangas are so much better

8. Samuri champloo: the character and action...the samuri that smells of sunflowers

9.fullmetal alchemist: Mustang hmmm and Ed make this one, one of my fav.s Embarassed

10. Mirage of Blaze: this one is kinda new to me but I am really liking it and well i watch it everyday and am excited to see what happens hehe Laughing

others that i like
vampire princess miyu
ghost in a shell
papa to kiss in the dark
pretear
kolidostar(sp)
vandread
kite (sawa)

now to the ones i hate

1. anything that is american made that is trying to pass off as anime

2. any of the dragon ball series i liked it when i was younger but i have seen the light so to say

hmm i don't seems to know any other anime that i just down right hate
AnaPana83

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Hmm 10 favorites... I think ill put down the ones i remember liking up till now and see if i get to 10, and then ill put the ones i dislike.

Like:
1. Trigun - even though sometimes i hate the animation quality, the story line, Jonny Yong Bosch's marvelous voice, Vash's awesome and complicated character and all the great villains and friends are so great. And the soundtrack is awesome. I love the rock, grunge, latin, western, ballad combinations, and the guitar riffs are crazy cool. This one is near and dear to me. Look out for the OVA!

2. Cowboy Bebop - What isn't there to love about Bebop man? Jazz, smoking,, furturisitc, a little romance, and plenty of action and an awesome soundtrack by Yoko Kanno. Perfect combo.

3. Ghost In The Shell (Anything) - Moody, great quality animation, and ongoing plots and action. I love watching this one before i go to sleep.

4. Fullmetal Alchemist - Ed kicks ass! If i were in highschool again, i'd want that teenager as my friend.

5. Eureka Seven - Once again, nearly anything with Johnny Yong Bosch in it makes me watch, i love Renton and the soundtrack to the show is unbelievable. I also like the OP by FLOW. Im still watching this one since i haven't seen all ther episodes but i've managed to fall in love with it.

6. Samurai Champloo - I like the hip/hop urban feel during samurai times to the series and Mugen is one bad motherf***r. I love his crude, to hell with it attitude and his moves that are also like breakdancing are awesome. Plus the animation quality is tops.

7. Gungrave - Brandon Heat is the bomb@! Anything from the mind of Nightow i like.

8. Escaflowne - Romanticism at its best. The colors man...look at the colors... Shocked

9. Dragon Ball Z - One of the first anime's (after Knights of The Zodiac) that i recall seeing. Man who can hate on Goku?

10. Sailor Moon - Ok, a little corny BUT, when it was out, i watched it..like the girl that i am. Anyway, Darien was hot lol.

Dislike:
1. Pokemon - Jesus, the name makes me shutter.

2. Naruto - I am seriously trying to give it a chance, but dammit, it always takes me right out of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:42 pm Reply with quote
AnaPana83 wrote:
Dislike:

2. Naruto - I am seriously trying to give it a chance, but dammit, it always takes me right out of it.

Why?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Koya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:01 am Reply with quote
Very Happy Im gonna ramble for a sec so you can just scroll down to the top 10 if you want. Very Happy
(*note- Some anime series can loose their overall enjoyment just because of the ending. So if you guys have a problem with a certain anime just because of its ending... Search out the manga. 9 times out of 10 you'll find either the story is being contined and the series is not really done yet, or the manga goes alittle further, and the series tends to have a more satisfactory ending.)
This above all things can ruin a series for me(only applies to action animes). They have their beginning.. they have there endind. so they figure what should we do, to allow this series to have 25 + episodes... oh yeah lets just introduce a new character every show. then after that shows done lets never show this character again... okay maybe once more. haha

Comedies this doesnt apply really because you're watching it to laugh mostly... id be like complaining that seinfeild never had a good plot. Doesn't matter.. if you laughed and enjoyed the characters it suceeded.

~~TOP 10~~~

10)love Hina/Maburaho/Tenchi (in tokyo..blah blah so many of them) why did i put 3 in 1?? these are all generally the same anime. Its one guy(always not special or popular.. so he thinks) Surrounded by girls who are all trying to get him. its a comedy so dont expect much action. just cute characters, and funny episodes.

9)Naruto - wow what a debated anime this is... I really like the manga because it stays more to the story plot, and it progresses more, however the fillers are destroying the characters and plot itself. Also the battles do seem to take awhile, but this show was never really for its action, although it has it. the best part is how they use to have good character developement. Which in turn helped you feel the action scene more. You're not just saying "(4 letter word) thats awesome action!" , you end up cheering for the characters, and feeling whats going on. example the Rock Lee vs Gara fight! amazing!

8)
[/b] Hellsing[b] - This is another love hate relationship.
I loved the story progression, and the characters however spoiler[He was just to damn powerful.. you just find out there was no way for him to die.. really]

7) Gantz - Jesus this ones violent. however if you check this out, look at the anime first.. like that then move on to the better manga.. why you ask better?? you'll see. hahaah it seems to have all the makings of the animes that just live from episode to episode.. however it was just getting you into it. Then the plot thicken's! (the mangas not even done yet Very Happy)

6) Chronicles of a heroic knight (Record of lodoss wars *TV*)

Dont confuse this with the original 13 ep (ova).. its newer then it, and all the information is givin in slower dosses. in short you get to comprihend everything easier, and enjoy the characters more. EXp "Orson"

5) Samurai X (ova's) - yes just the ova's! It has beautiful art, good characters, gory action, and what seemed like a good ending.. before they brought in the TV series.. which never really went anywhere.. it was one of those.. he was weak and his enemy was stronger... so he'd train, and fight weaker guys, and then he'd prevail in the end.. only to encounter someone stronger eventually. Sound familiar?? hahah could this be a samurai version of DBZ?? haha So whatch the ova;s! if you like them alot.. give the series a try.. i guess.

4) Fullmetal alchemist - art done really well... it progressed all the time.. no filler episodes... i laughed ,i cried... i wanted more.. i got the movie.. well done chaps well done.

3)GTO - "hahaha" what more can i say about a anime thats based around a old biker gang leader who becomes a teacher just because he's a big pervert. It was hilarious! little random at times.. but it all added to the characters.. and even though he was a big pervert he always ended up being awesome in the end!! if you like comedies!! you'll friggin love this one!

2) The Twelve kingdoms - This i just discovered recently by accident. The besed art i've seen in an anime. It takes alittle to get into but after the first 5 episodes you'll be hooked.. haha theres around 40?? some episodes so you;ll have plenty to enjoy. The whole examing oneself (communist) view that it eventually gave off was wonderfull. I especially loved the main characters female friend.. im sure some people could relate. If that happend to them.. being so caught up in those stories that she couldnt help but want to belive it was for her. (im being vague so i dont give anythign away)

1) Berserk - hahah this i also stumbled upon by accident. Since i liked "Orson" so much in Record of lodoss war, and him being a berserk.. the title caught my eye. This is the most original anime i've ever scene. This is the one that i can whatch over and over again. alot of people didn't like the action scenes for some reason.. but i thought they were perfect for the anime. other then the ending, it portrays midevil battles well. no one with extraordinary gifts or powers just strenght that was worked hard for. then the ending rather messes you up! but fear not the manga continues and anwers all your unanwered questions. Trust me you'll love it.

Least favorite
5)chobits - loved the manga.. but the anime doesnt progress fast at all.. when i whatch the anime.. i feal like my life is being stolen from me.

4)DBGT - Is it just me.. or ever since they fought freeza there powers have actually been getting less and less. i mean DBZ end when the man gets golden hair and becomes "Super" Vegeta in the early stages of DBZ could blow up planets with one finger.. towards the end of DBGT the were have full out battles as SSJ4 and only making big bangs.. the degression in the series ruined it.

3)Evangelion - i don't knwo what it is but i generally hate robot animes, or machine ones periode.. this one especially.. i've attemped to whacht them, even the movies which were suppsoe to make it easier to understand.. but they didn't at all.. it;s the most damn confussing over the top anime i've seen.

2)Beck - most people probaly don't even know about it, its about a boy who meets a band member he looks up to around his age. Its based all about music, but they just do a terrible job portraying them as a good band, and good music.. if there music in the anime isnt good. "read the manga to give this a chance, because your imagination can take care of the music

1)Pokemon - do i really have to comment, this is all animes fans worst nightmare trying to introduce anime to someone else. what do they think of first.. pokemon... RIP pokemon and leave Us in peace

~RT
AnaPana83

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
AnaPana83 wrote:
Dislike:

Why?

Well Pokemon there is no moving me on that one. I just never liked it since when it came out especially after my friends little brother got into it lol and started with the cards and all that mess. It just ruined it for me. I remember he ruined a night out for us cause we had to take him and pick him up from the movie. Sigh, it's just one of those things. But you know, i did enjoy the 64 video game for awhile.

As for Naruto...I am still giving it a chance. It is hovering bewteen Like and Dislike, thats why i put it at 2. I don't like the animation quality much or the drawings of the characters (im a very visual person) and Naruto to me seems very hyperactive, kinda like for younger people. Im almost 23 mind you. But this is just MY taste, ya know. If someone else likes it, may he go with the anime God.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jeikobu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
AnaPana83 wrote:
Well Pokemon there is no moving me on that one. I just never liked it since when it came out especially after my friends little brother got into it lol and started with the cards and all that mess. It just ruined it for me. I remember he ruined a night out for us cause we had to take him and pick him up from the movie. Sigh, it's just one of those things. But you know, i did enjoy the 64 video game for awhile.

As for Naruto...I am still giving it a chance. It is hovering bewteen Like and Dislike, thats why i put it at 2. I don't like the animation quality much or the drawings of the characters (im a very visual person) and Naruto to me seems very hyperactive, kinda like for younger people. Im almost 23 mind you. But this is just MY taste, ya know.

Have you by any chance ever tried seeing Pokemon in Japanese? It's so much better than the chopped up dub that it isn't even funny. The only problem is you will almost certainly have to put up with watching it raw. I can't find almost any fansubs for it.

I do agree that fairly often (especially in more recent history) they could've drawn the characters alot better, and sometimes the way they draw them just looks pretty poor, like they didn't take their time. But then they are trying to give us an ep per week so the workload can pile up, and I hear they for certain eps or for certain parts of eps have a Korean team do alot of the animation, and that's apparently where it comes out looking poorer (no offense to any Koreans, this is just what I've heard).
However, I find this show very exciting, fun and addicting. I've watched more eps of this in one day than I have for any other anime in one day. And while I wish the filler would end, even that I enjoy (people bash it far too much). I think it's well worth its hype (though it's up to opinion, of course). And plus, it looks like the filler will end soon, after the 3rd movie hits Japanese theaters in early August. The message in the trailer apparently translates as something about it being "the end of part one", meaning that part two (post-time skip) is on the way. Here's hoping! ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
frouella

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:25 pm Reply with quote
frouella wrote:
My 5 least favorite:

5. Wolf's Rain -- Okay, this wasn't that bad really, but I did get realllly annoyed by the four filler episodes in a row! I mean, come on, if you need some time just take a hiatus, we'll understand! But no, instead they show us the same story four different times, from only slightly different perspectives. Otherwise, I didn't think this series was too bad, though it does fall into my "Apocalypse Anime" category, and not just because it actually does deal with the end of the world. I'll explain further - see Gilgamesh.

4. Yu Yu Hakusho -- I know this is petty and shallow, but I couldn't watch this series because of Urameshi's hair. And that one guy's Hammer pants. And the really bad 80's theme music. I know a lot of people consider this to be one of their favorites, and I apologize, but I just can't watch it. Meh.

3. Macross Plus -- Again, the character design on this was just...weird. I couldn't watch it without cringing. Which isn't to say that the other background stuff wasn't amazing - which it was, especially given when it was made - but there were too many main characters running around in front of it. And I was kinda over the whole Top Gun storyline. The music was really good, though (Yoko Kanno strikes again!).

2. Gilgamesh -- I bought this one because it looked really different stylistically, and I thought everything was going well until I got to the end. Once there, it turned into a perfect example of spoiler[killing everyone off at the end because we've left too many loose ends and don't know what else to do.] Hence, it also goes into my "Apocalypse Anime" category, where it will stay indefinitely.

1. Naruto -- Before all of Naruto-fandom comes clamoring for my head, let me explain. I've watched several episodes of Naruto. Almost 40, to be precise. The plot itself is entertaining, and the characters look interesting -- why then is it my #1 least favorite anime? BECAUSE IT TAKES 10 FREAKIN' EPISODES TO GET THROUGH ONE BATTLE, AND THEY CAN'T STOP WITH THE FLASHBACKS AND COMMENTARY!!! You know, it IS possible to make a reference to an earlier event without actually showing it again! And you don't need to explain every single jutsu in such painstaking detail! Seriously, if this show went any slower, it'd be going backwards! Maybe that's what pisses me off the most about this show -- it's got potential, but they absolutely kill it with the pacing.

Owari!

I need to make an addendum here -- Insert Elfen Lied into the number two spot (hn, how appropriate...), thus knocking Wolf's Rain off the list and into the land of regular mediocrity.

I saw that EL was on many people's top ten list, so I went to check it out and...ugh. I mean, I didn't mind the gore, and I wasn't offended by all of the (gratuitous, mindless, fetish-inspired, subservient female) nudity (...much), but it was like watching someone trying to do brain surgery with a battle axe; no subtlety whatsoever. I mean, yes, poor Lucy, she's been mistreated her whole life because she's different, but the way they go about trying to get the audience to sympathize with her is sooo heavy-handed -- spoiler[they beat a puppy to death, fer chrissakes!] Who wouldn't hate humans for that? It's a cliche, and it makes me feel manipulated. If you're going to try and toy with my emotions, make sure I can't see the strings, know what I mean?

On a positive note, I did like the opening theme music; it was really haunting and beautiful. And while I don't see the correlation between elfenliet and Klimt (and Lucy being naked in every shot), the opening animation was impressive too. Overall though, I couldn't get over the sensation that I was being whacked in the head with a hammer. The only reason Elfen Lied isn't in my #1 worst spot is because it's only 13 episodes long; at least it's painful and quick, as opposed to Naruto that draws the torture out indefinitely.
coldmug

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:29 am Reply with quote
well i'll give it a try and put down my favore 10 and my least favorate 5

1. love hina because one guy surronded by many girls and the romance. plus I find it funny on how much on guy can take from so many woman.

2. crest of stars, banner of stars, and banner of stars 2 I put all three of those together because there mainly the same anime just diffrent sessons. I liked that one because on person being stuck with a whole diffrent race where he can't even understand them at all. plus i can't wait for the 3rd one to come to the US.

3. Evangelion I like that one from just being clasic and the eva are sweet and just how much blood shed and wreckage to ever thing.

4. gundam wing i like that one for all the meca designs and the piolts are just so funny on how they never agree with each other till the end or really ever get alon till the end as well.

5. Dears I liked dears because its an person from another world who will just follow some one around any where and what happens to the guy is just so great.

6. Stellvia i liked that one because it deals with space and its really not to sci fi and its more down to earth and more our time than way in the future.

7. vandread i liked that one because it deals with one guy on a whole ship of woman where they don't get along till way latter and its funny men and woman seperated.

8. full metal panic i liked that series because the mecks are pretty sweet and how onbe person can be so ignerate about anything and everthing and how much beating he takes form one girl.

9. the mars day break i liked that one bacause the whole group of main people take every thing so lightly and dosen't care about any thing really.

10. please teacher because its just so funny how a studen has to fall in love with a teacher and just how they have to keep it a secret from every one.

top 5 worst

1. boys be it was some what good but it just seemed boreing to me and it waent like the other romance animes i like.

2. Pokemon they just have to many animes and there all the same and there all boreing.

3. arjuna its just looked good at first but i just din't like it at the end some parts where good but i thought it was just bad.

4. neo ranga i just plan din't like that series i bought it out on a whim but i just din't like it.

5. divergense eve, misaki cronocoles it was ok but it was really confusing nd all it really had was big boobs in it and i found the story just plan hard to follw.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
excel958

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, my list seems to be a bit different than everyone elses. Lets see

1. Monster
In my opinion, Urasawa Naoki's finest work. The characters are realistic, the antagonist is dispicable, the plot is simply amazing. The art is realistic, and the soundtrack is glamorous. Simply the best anime in existence. A flawless series.

2. Paranoia Agent
Took me two watches to fully understand the show. Simply amazing. A very good moral message at the end, and how it was conveyed was creative and excellent. The social commentary fits perfectly. Another flawless series.

3. Azumanga Daioh
Absolutel hilarious! Osaka is a riot! And Sakaki <3 It's absolutely humerois. I love it.

4. Full Metal Panic/Fomuffu/The Second Raid
Highschool Comedy + Mecha + Romance = A very good mix. And FMP Proves this. I love the characters, and Sosuke is a force not to reckon with.

5. Excel Saga
FUNY FUNNY FUNNY! I love it's over-the-top and random humor.

6. Yakitate Japan
Who ever knew an anime about bread would be hilarious? So many puns and hilarious reactions. Kuroyanagi is the master of reactions.

7. Jubei-Chan
Seasons 1 and 2 were amazing. Lovely Eyepatch anyone? Very funny and I enjoyed watching them. Samurai girl battles ensue!

8. Full Moon wo Sagashite
A beautiful romance Anime smile And I love the music in it. One of the best Shoujo titles out there.

9. Black Cat
I love the characters. Interesting scene transition. Eve is cute ^__^ And lovely battle scenes. I need to get into the manga, as it develops more.

10. Bleach
One of the best Shonens out there. Drags on a little bit, but besides that, simply amazing.

Some others I love: Gunslinger Girl, Full Metal Alchemist, Perfect Blue, Hotaru no Haka/Grave of the Fireflies, Hellsing, Boogiepop Phantom, Ergo Proxy, Akira, Serial Experiments Lain, Noir, Haibane Renmei, Cat Soup, Noisemaker Soundman, Mai-HiME, Naruto, jeez, too many to name >_>

There aren't many titles I dislike, but some are

1. Futakoi
SO UTTERLY POINTLESS! It was painful to watch.

2. Fruit Baskets
I ought to read the manga. The anime was pretty lame though.

3. Naruto
I love it yet hate it. Mainly due to the filler.

4. Blah

5. Blah
undeadben

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: - Updated on 6/27/2010 for current preferences. Previous edit was on 5/03/2008.

undeadben notes: Instead of making a new post each time I make changes, since there is a nifty index for this thread, I figured it is just as well to update my original post whenever I can so that the person indexing doesn't have to go through the trouble of adding another link.

When I watch different anime and then re-watch my favorites is when I sometimes change my mind about the order of my favorite lists. If a show can stand up to multiple re-viewings and still entertain me well the higher a chance that show has a chance of keeping it's spot on my favorites. With the exception of 1 and 2, my top ten list is no exception as it has gone through four or five different makeovers since I first posted here and not just with the inclusions of 3 previously unwatched and unranked series. Even without the new additions there would still have been shows that moved from their previous position. *For more info on how I make my favorite lists go to the end of the post.

So then, here are my current favorites, my top two are the only ones that have not changed since I originally posted here.

Top 10

10. Elfen Lied - Phenomenal. Beautiful, dreadful, painful, wonderful, horrible, emotional. How can one 13 episode series have so many adjectives to describe it? Well this one does. I asked myself while watching this, "How can I watch this?" and could only reply, "How can I turn away?" All the characters were so real yet likable, I guess that is weird to say in this type of series, but I am talking about the way they behave and react to their surroundings. The story is just amazing to follow and even with the gore and violence this show quickly became one of my favorites. There are just a couple inconsistencies but they are easy to overlook with everything else going on. This is one of those stories that is so versatile that it can make me laugh out loud one moment, make my stomach turn the next and quickly bring me to tears. And the animation really completes the story; it’s a vast gallery of both beautiful and horrible imagery with an overall impressive craftiness to it all which makes it pretty incredible overall. (Original #10 on 07/18/2006 Samurai Champloo, previous #10 after 5/3/2008 Edit Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu)

9. Soul Eater - Ridiculous but somehow charming. If I had to describe this show in just a few words that’s what I’d say. The show is mad as a hatter but it has quite a few other surprises as well. Just as Shinigami mentions in the next episode preview at the end of episode 1, "action, gags, surprises," also some fanservice, and a lot of other things he doesn't mention. Things like a plot that could be explained in like a minute or two and yet is still interesting, outrageous characters that sort of fall on one end of the curve or the other, interesting artwork some of which looks like it was designed by a genius and some by an imbecile, all wrapped up in a really clumpy and ill formed package.
The introductory episodes had me believing all sorts of insane things were to come, and they have. However something really surprised me is how good the individual episodes are put together. There is a plot hidden behind the veil of madness and is very often a good one. It’s not always about how to fit in the next gag, it could occasionally turn somewhere else; dark, exciting, silly, dramatic, emotional, and many other avenues. Above all, and probably my favorite thing about this show, is that even when the story suddenly gets cheesy or lame it doesn’t even bother me because I am so into it that I even enjoy those moments. Heck, I even liked the outright stupidity of the Excalibur episodes. When I can find good in the worst moments of a show I know I’ve seen something special and I know I’ll watch this show again sometime. (Original #9 on 07/18/2006 Air TV, previous #9 after 5/3/2008 Edit Azumanga Daioh )

8. FLCL - Insane! This is close to the most fun I have ever had watching anime. It's hard to describe so if you haven't seen it, so give it a try, it is only 6 episodes long. From the various tributes and parodies from any number of shows from Cutie Honey to South Park, and pop culture blurbs of almost anything including music legends from different eras alone this show would be an interesting watch, but this is just the edge of the surface. I watch this over and over and cannot get enough. The characters and situations are just on a different track than what I expect and even when I think I finally have a hold on it, I discover that it is actually on a track that I didn't even see before.

There is just incredibly deep and masterful storytelling here. Despite all the madness and fun there are several unevenly stacked layers beneath the surface and wonderful characters to boot. In fact depending on your mood while watching, and whether you watch the English dub or Japanese with subtitles, you can pick different vibes from the series ranging from zany and wacky to deep and intense; in fact I’m surprised how it can also be really dark, especially if watched in Japanese with subs. It is just brilliant overall and worthy of many re-viewings. Oh, and to top it all off this has my favorite soundtrack in any anime series, OVA, or movie; The Pillows are an awesome group and the music used here fits this series perfectly. (Original #8 on 07/18/2006 Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, previous #8 after 5/3/2008 Edit Elfen Lied)

7. Haibane Renmei - A truly wonderful series with many different aspects to it. I love the whole concept of children being born or maybe even reborn into a whole new world with an unknown purpose. Some parts troubled me very deeply at first until the series allows us to know more about the characters and why they do what they do, for instance working to earn their own way in this world. Just what does lie beyond the walls is the greatest mystery and I actually like the fact that it allows us to imagine it for ourselves. It was just a well designed and written story with adorable characters that are impossible not to like and very original and artistic without being flashy or annoying. I know I’ll be watching this again and again and I’ll probably see something new each time. (Original #7 on 07/18/2006 Rumiko Takahashi Anthology, previous #7 after 5/3/2008 Edit FLCL)

6. Honey and Clover - The passage of time is unavoidable; if you are not frugal with it you may end up with regrets. I love how this series handles time; it flies by in large chunks so that as viewers we are aware of it and even threw in constant reminders of it, so that we truly understand how the characters underestimate it. All the beautiful symbolism is apparent of this. Actually this is just an amazing series overall. Everything about it impresses me with every single episode.

For starters, I have seen some great comedies that have some incredibly good dramatic moments, and I have seen some amazing dramas that have some impressive comedic scenes, but I have never seen one before that is amazing at both equally, not just a few moments. The story is so well crafted that it often carries a comedic moment flawlessly into a dramatic one without there being a contradiction between the two and melding into something that is so simple and real and yet more than that. It’s almost like life this way. I also enjoy how it can use what appears to be a simple progressive gag and turn it into a beautiful moment.

This show is also often frustrating, but in a way that makes you want to root for these beautiful characters, never in an annoying way. The characters are all impressive; not developed from scratch but introduced to us in a way where we eventually discover them for ourselves. And the music; anything from a light piano to a more jazzy number to a light rock tune always accompanies the story beautifully. This was just am incredibly well-rounded story and I know I'll be watching this many more times. (Original #6 on 07/18/2006 Azumanga Daioh, previous #6 after 5/3/2008 Edit Haibane Renmei)

5. NANA - I love this show! There is just a certain simplicity to the storytelling that makes it overwhelming. It is incredibly addictive from episode to episode. I especially love how just when it looks like its going to do something expected it goes in a different direction. That makes the show really special. Or rather the way it does it, because whether you are expecting the moment or rolling your eyes at what’s about to happen, it doesn’t get there, but instead just follows through the moment in a slightly different, and yet more realistic, way. Sort of like life in that things don’t always go as you expect and though more often than not it is heart wrenching, it’s not always bad, and sometimes just different.

Everything is built up beautifully from scene to scene with some wonderful character interaction. And those interactions are built from some endearing characters that almost want to stretch themselves to something larger than life and yet when looked at more closely it is just that they’re human. I really don't know what else to say except that I cried and cried throughout this series. Near the end I was left in tears at the close of every single episode, even the ones that weren't sad, and regularly wanting to shout, "That just can't be right!" I was a basket case especially during the final episodes which open up even more questions than answers. A few loose ends are tied up but I'm definitely going to have to start reading the manga and praying for another 50 episodes when the manga ends.

This world of NANA; sometimes it made me smile sometimes it made me laugh, it often pissed me off, and as I mentioned brought more tears than I could have imagined. It'd be a huge understatement to say that this show left an impression on me. It was just beautiful... and terrible. (Original #5 on 07/18/2006 Elfen Lied, previous #5 after 5/3/2008 Edit Honey and Clover)

4. Gunslinger Girl - This series has definitely earned a masterpiece rating from me probably more than almost any series I have seen. I think there is a misconception about this show, it is not a series about young assassins, this is a series about young girls, the fact that they happen to be assassins is secondary. Many probably watch this series expecting nothing but action, gore, killing, and young girls who show no mercy, but this is wrong. Sure it has a few instances of this, the girls are assassins, it has to happen at least occasionally; but if anything it just adds more levels of depth. However if I had to compare it to another show it would not be another assassin or hitman story, it’d be story like Haibane Renmei or Air; a well written story of young girls charting unknown waters and living life as best as they know how with what they have.

The stories are fantastic and emotional, although mostly tragic; all the characters are deep and truly wonderful; from the sensitive girls to the dreadfully inept father figures. There is just a level of depth and meaning to everything that is hard for other shows to reach. Even the music is special; the opening theme is probably one of the best I have ever heard in anime. And to ice the cake, the artwork which I usually overlook, is brilliant. The only thing I am disappointed in is myself for holding out so long in seeing this show. (Original #4 on 07/18/2006 FLCL, previous #4 after 5/3/2008 Edit NANA )

3. Rurouni Kenshin - This is my one of my favorite series mainly because Kenshin is, well, Kenshin. One of the wisest figures I have ever seen in anime and how incredible is that, considering he seems so young. A master with his reverse blade sword, but more honest and human than anyone can really be, even in real life. I love his adventures and although I'm sad there were no more, I'm always happy to revisit with Kenshin when I have time. Overall, the stories mostly well written, the characters are all well developed, even the villains, and the action is terrific. The last saga 'Tales From the Meiji' is not really great, but the first two, especially the 'Legend of Kyoto,' are enough to earn this spot. That second arc is where this show really shines. The unfolding plot as Kenshin moves closer and closer to his goal. The intensity of each passing sequence as it gets closer to the climax. The action that I can not take my eyes away from no matter how many times I watch it. The drama that stands above everything. The ‘Legend of Kyoto’ really lifts Rurouni Kenshin to near legendary status and it is also the main reason I really can’t watch this show enough. (Original #3 on 07/18/2006 Haibane Renmei , previous #3 after 5/3/2008 Edit Gunslinger Girl )

2. Ranma ½ - This is my second favorite series no doubt about it. It has everything one could hope for; comedy, martial arts, drama, romance and a huge cast of vastly different and often zany characters. The stories may not be other-worldly and the characters do not have higher purposes, but I cannot remember too many episodes where I was not entertained. The large diverse cast and outlandish martial arts combined with the Ranma/Akane moments all keep me watching even years after completing the series. Ranma and Akane will be married someday, and they will be happier than anyone on earth, though they will not admit it, even to themselves. (Original #2 on 07/18/2006 Rurouni Kenshin)

1. Cross Game - Before having watched a single episode I underestimated this show. All I knew of the show was that it was rated highly, there was a baseball theme, and it looked like it may have some cute character designs. Heck I didn’t even bother to read the encyclopedia entry for it here. With just that I watched the first episode.

Anyone who has seen this episode will probably know how I felt at the end of it not knowing anything at all beforehand of what was going to happen, and because of that I feel that I am fortunate. I got a chance to experience this story as it came without having any clue of what was coming or any outside influence one way or other about it.

Saying this show is about baseball is like saying Hajime no Ippo is a show about boxing, or that Honey and Clover is a show about art school, or that Haibane Renmei is a show about a girl with wings. Those who are fortunate enough to have seen these shows may understand how badly I underestimated this show. The story and storytelling beginning to end is absolutely amazing. Scenes flow masterfully from one to another giving a true image of the characters lives. By that I mean the everyday aspects that really show who they are and not what they are. And for the most part the relationships between all of these characters are important to the overall, which is something else that was done well.

However, what makes this show truly special is that amazing storytelling. This is the type of anime that proves you don’t need high cost CG action scenes, magic, giant robots, and ridiculous moves to completely capture a viewer’s attention. After watching it once I was left so impressed by this aspect that I re-watched it almost entirely 3 times within just a couple of weeks, read the manga, and also read a few other Mitsuru Adachi manga in order to have a better understanding of the brilliant work I saw. The main story is simple enough that young children could watch this without complaint but for anyone older it offers that and a heck of a lot more. The complexity of how the plot comes about is crafted beautifully behind well placed symbolism, hidden meanings, clever clues, and an abundance of hints found in various scenes.

Near the end I was on edge to know not just what the final scores would be but, maybe more importantly, in what direction these characters futures would begin. That really is the heart of the matter. Any great show usually leaves you wanting more when it is done and this one has me imagining a lot more. However, I saw the protagonist achieve his true goal and where the new beginning is, how they can finally move forward, and that was a wonderful ending to this wonderful show. I did not feel cheated in any sense by how the show ended, which I have heard, is where many people think this show failed. I assure you, it does not and I will definitely watch this one again.

On a final note, I don’t often recommend anime for people to watch anymore, but for anyone who has not seen this I have a simple message, and maybe a plea, “It doesn’t matter what kind of anime you like or what genre of story you prefer, watch Cross Game.” My second recommendation is, “after you’ve seen it, watch it again.” I never thought I would watch a show that would oust Ranma ½ as my # 1 favorite, but this show has. Especially after seeing how no matter how many times I watch it I am no less impressed and more often than not even more impressed in subsequent viewings. (Original #1 on 07/18/2006 Ranma ½ )

And now my least favorite five, I'll note that I'm only including those that I actually spent time watching, no mentions here for any series I gave up on before the first episode was through.

These have not changed since my last edit a couple years ago.

Bottom 5

5. Ichigo 100% - I once told a friend that I like romance anime and comedy anime and he recommended this title. So I watched it and became less amicable towards my friend for a few days for not understanding what I enjoy and for believing this to be a good romantic anime series. The only character who is likeable is Toujou, and as the entire series is spent on the completely unlikable Junpei and how all these girls including Toujou seem to be head over heals for his no redeeming qualities having person, it was not very fun to watch. (Original Worst #5 on 07/18/2006 Secret of the Cerulean Sand)

4. Star Ocean EX - I bought this from someone who sold it very cheap, and I didn't know why until I saw it. To this day I still do not know why I watched it all except probably that I was intent on watching it just because I spent money. This series develops like a video game, probably because it is based on one, the biggest problem being that at least in a video game you get the entertainment of actually playing the game. I do not recommend this horrible, horrible anime series. (Original Worst #4 on 07/18/2006 Ichigo 100%)

3. Robotech II: The Sentinels Movie - This was just plain hard to watch and I should've never have picked it up. The story was contrived, I think it was just made to give Robotech fans the wedding they assumed we wanted to see, but they could have just made a short 30 minute OVA about that, no need to make a horrible story that did not entertain in the least. (Original Worst #3 on 07/18/2006 Tenjho Tenge)

2. Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie - Craptacularly craptacular. Made up words are the only things that can truly describe my experience viewing this movie. I think I read somewhere that it’s better to watch the series first otherwise you won’t understand what is going on in this movie. That’s wrong too in my opinion. This movie doesn’t have a clear plot or plot relevance so there is nothing to try and piece together. If you watch the series first you'll just have an understanding of what should be going on more or less. 'Watch the series because it is good, and don’t watch this at all,' would be my advice. Where to begin.. I’d continue with the plot but everything is just a lot of contrived scenes that don’t have a clear point; it’s not interesting, it’s not amusing, and it is not remotely entertaining. Character designs seemed to be made with 2 year olds in mind, large overemphasized features are best for children who can not pick up subtleties in gestures. The problem is that this isn’t a children’s anime. It seems to me the artwork and animation tries to be artistic but all it does is take good concepts from the TV series and overly exaggerates them turning them into garbage. Also, symbols used for symbolism need to be symbols not giant in your face obstructions. God I hated watching this; I still don’t know why I didn’t just shut it off at some point, probably because I bought it, but this got dumped in a garbage bag and picked up the following Tuesday (seriously, I tossed it the second it came out of the DVD player along with the case). And needless to say I won’t even consider watching it again. I’d have to be paid to do something so insane. (Original Worst #2 on 07/18/2006 Dragon Ball GT)

1. Eiken This show has gotten the the worst rating I have ever allowed myself to give an anime. It is just so very bad. It is not interesting, entertaining, or funny. The parodies show no creativity and so instead of coming off as a parody of a harem type show, it ends up being a really boring and unimaginative representation of one. The story is horribly poor and, normally, without a plot to speak of it would be up to the random comedy to make up for it, but without anything funny it's up to the fanservice to at least make it watchable, but with the overly emphasized features in the character designs (which I imagine are supposed to be parody as well) there is nothing good to look at either, so the show just ends up being a giant waste of animated space. The first time I tried watching it I had left 15 minutes unwatched because I started the last episode late, but (un?)luckily it was showing on TV again so I decided to try and finish those 15 minutes in order to properly earn complaining rights. However I could not sit through even 5 minutes without being reminded of why I hated this show so much and I decided complaining rights were not important enough to waste even another minute of my life watching it.. (Original Worst #1 on 07/18/2006 Star Ocean EX)

*continued from before my lists:
Since I started seriously keeping track of what anime I watch I started keeping a list of favorites which currently has 50 titles on it. With balances and just thinking about each show head to head with the others I was able to come down to a final ranking. As I watch new shows which I think might be up for inclusion the first thing I ask myself if it is better than #50. If it is not then I simply rate the show and leave it be. However if it is then it momentarily takes over the spot. And then I look at it again and compare it to #49 and so forth, and if the show is good enough in my opinion, it keeps moving up from there.

The same thing happens occasionally when I re-watch a show already on my top 50. If I find it not as entertaining, or very rarely more so, than the last time I remember watching it, I go back to the list and put it up against the next one down, or up, again and see if a move is in order. With this I can ensure that I keep a list that is at the very least honest to my own taste.

I have to admit I don't put in as much, or actually any thought at all to the bottom shows. If I dislike something I really don't want to go back and think any more about having put myself through actually watching those. For this list today I just went back to my list sorted by rating and plucked the 5 worst rated ones I had and built the bottom list off those. I know my comments are weak on the 3-5 worst, I have not seen them in a while, but I would rather poke myself in the eye with a flaming matchstick then go back and re-watch those shows just so I can write better comments.

Last edited by undeadben on Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:54 pm; edited 8 times in total
Kidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:

1. Ranma ½ I judge this on my pure entertainment factor. The stories may not be other-worldly and the characters do not have higher purposes, but I cannot remember too many episodes where I was not entertained. The zany characters and outlandish martial arts combined with the Ranma/Akane moments all keep me watching even years after completing the series.

Oh lord, Ranma 1/2 definately goes into my guilty pleasures pile Anime smile + sweatdrop Even though the episodes are formulaic and the characters really don't get anywhere in terms of relationship etc. I still find almost every single episode rib-crackingly hilarious. I think the great thing about this show is that since it's episodic, you can pick up a random episode and watch it without having to watch previous eps to understand the plot. Very very low-brow entertainment, but extremely entertaining none-the-less. Anime smile
undeadben

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:13 am Reply with quote
Kidder wrote:
Oh lord, Ranma 1/2 definately goes into my guilty pleasures pile Anime smile + sweatdrop Even though the episodes are formulaic and the characters really don't get anywhere in terms of relationship etc. I still find almost every single episode rib-crackingly hilarious. I think the great thing about this show is that since it's episodic, you can pick up a random episode and watch it without having to watch previous eps to understand the plot. Very very low-brow entertainment, but extremely entertaining none-the-less. Anime smile

That's how I see it; it entertains me so I like it. I also like the randomness of it, I can just pick up any disk from any season without looking at it and just pop it in and go. And it's almost the same with the manga too. But I also like that every once in a while there'll be a really nice subtle sweet, romantic, or sad moment and I can't help but go, "ahhh!"

I also think a lot of people keep it as a guilty pleasure, even if they don't admit it. I have a friend who will come over occasionally and sometimes I'll make her sit and watch anime with me. When I am watching Ranma, she'll complain and make comments the entire time but she will sit there and watch the entire episode. With other series that she says she doesn't like she'll always try to get me to play something else or she'll find something else to do until I'm done.
Full_Metal_Goku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
(Note: English Is My Second Language But To Tell You The Truth I Know More English Then I Know Of My First And Main Language)

My favourite:

1. Naruto: I don't know about you guys but seriously this is the best anime my eye have layed upon. I mean the art and graphics are fantastic and 1 of the best things that most other anime/manga usually have the main character and always shine the spotlight on him like the anime series Dragon Ball Z (Im not saying its bad! Infact I Love it!). They stick to Goku and he pretty much always wins his fight. But In Naruto every character has their equal share of fame. This is a reccomended Anime especially for Younger Viewers (around 10+ as a age rating (It has its share of Innapropriate Things (But seriesouly it should be for all ages this anime rocks!)))

2. Dragon Ball Z: Other people can say all they want about this anime/manga series, for me I pretty much grew up with the Dragon Ball Franchise! First of all it is true that the fights are like 50 episodes long (the fight with Freiza on Namek was like 100 Episodes long). But hey the fights are a must see! They're just Fascinating. I don't have any more to say.

3. Full Metal Alchemist: I haven't seen many episodes but i can tell you that this is a very good series and you should check it out.

4. Inuyasha: This Series isn't like Gundam Seed or any of those "advanced" series where they use guns. Inuyasha is about a Half-Demon and a Human Girl who team up with a Monk, A Half Demon Fox, A Full Demon Fox, and a Girl Warrior who try to get the sacred Jewel shards before Naraku does. This is one of few anime shows that actually have a goal in the series. Its not like the characters just sit around till something comes up! This is also a great fighting Series even though the best fights are in the Opening THemes. Oh Well.

Least Favorite:

1. Pokemon: Before you Pokemon fans get mad and bomb my house I'd like you to know this is just my opinion and one stranger who hates pokemon (actually i dont HATE its just a least fav) doesnt mean the end of the world. I think. Well the reason is that every episode is the same: the gang meets a person with a pokemon. the person's pokemon gets kidnapped by team rocket (i don't even wanna bother putting capitals on it) and Ash whoops them to the next demension. they come back. get their butts whooped again. the person learns a legend. the end. The Only Episode I Enjoyed Was The Battle Between Kyogre and Groundon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 38 of 122