• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Different Strokes for Older Folks

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jen526

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:42 am Reply with quote
Ah! I bet they've got some wicked cool coloring books out there for this new market. I wanna import some! I've always loved coloring.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:52 am Reply with quote
I'm very surprised that there's gonna be a coloring book for old people. Usually since most coloring books are for the young people (like me).

BTW Jen526, how old are you if you want those new coloring books?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
WEKS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:09 am Reply with quote
Well... It does kinda make sense, I think.

I mean if you are of the older crowd and like drawing and such you might just not want to be seen buying coloring tools made for children under 10 (or whatever) and the "adult" or shall we say professional and all that is too expensive for a hobby then it creates a market for this. I'm just guessing though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
I don't really see what this has to do with anime beyond the art aspect, but it seems like an interesting idea. Most people do think of crayons and colored pencils as children's drawing tools unless you're a professional artist, and even most professionals nowadays use other mediums such as Copic Markers and watercolor.

Those do look quite cool, though, I'd love to try them for myself if I wasn't saving for a Copic set instead.
Anime Toy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the adult pencle sets have plenty of flesh tones that will go along with the adult coloring books? Very Happy
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wonder if the adult pencle sets have plenty of flesh tones that will go along with the adult coloring books? Very Happy

When I was in second grade, my firend showed me an "X-Rated coloring book" her parents kept in the closet. The slogan was, "The only coloring book you color entirely with flesh crayons!" or something like that. I wasn't allowed to go to her house after that incident.

Last edited by Wolverine Princess on Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Quote:

When I was in second grade, my firend showd me an "X-Rated coloring book" her parents kept in the closet. The slogan was, "The only coloring book you color entirely with flesh crayons!" or something like that. I wasn't allowed to go to her house after that incident.

Anime hyper LOL!!

I guess they did exist already
ChichiriMuyo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to say that when I read the title I was actually thinking it was about strokes... as in somebody with bad taste is making jokes at the expense of some anime industry persons who suffered one. I know there's no one with that bad of taste here, but wanted to make mention of that.

Other than that, well, I dunno. Coloring just doesn't seem to be something older people would do as much as younger ones even if the pictures were more to their tastes. Japan is certainly different than the US, though, so it might be able to fly there better than here.
RezSav

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Takes different strokes to move the world.
Anime Toy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Quote:

When I was in second grade, my firend showd me an "X-Rated coloring book" her parents kept in the closet. The slogan was, "The only coloring book you color entirely with flesh crayons!" or something like that. I wasn't allowed to go to her house after that incident.

HaHaHaHaHaHa!!!! Goes to show.....children arn't the only ones who like to color!!!!! Wink
Bell02

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote
There is suppose to be a DS game coming that is a "coloring for adults" book too.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:14 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:

*BUZZ!* Wrong reference. I'm sure no one else here remembers Sly and the Family Stone.

Well, old people need a hobby, too, and the ones they used to have might be too advanced for their old age. Something like this is probably good for them, since it requires fine motor skills and all.

Of course, this only perpetuates the idea that old people turn into children. After all, you're essentially giving them coloring books. Cool

But what do I know? I am everyday people.
luhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:05 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
RezSav wrote:

*BUZZ!* Wrong reference. I'm sure no one else here remembers Sly and the Family Stone.

Actually, I think that's a Gary Coleman reference.Smile

Coloring is very relaxing. It might be good for stress relief.
klamsd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:43 am Reply with quote
I'm interested in knowing how this is anime news
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:10 am Reply with quote
klamsd wrote:
I'm interested in knowing how this is anime news

Perhaps you should pick up a set of those pencils. Find a nice place to sit outside, sketch whatever comes to mind, stretch that imagination a little...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2