• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:06 am Reply with quote
I read it a while back, and I quite enjoyed that chapter. It's 100 pages long, and completely self contained. I felt it read a bit like a murder mystery story, but without a murder. If you like the series anyway, I'd say it's worth it.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:56 am Reply with quote
Snowy Mountain Syndrome is one of the best of the Haruhi short stories. I think it is definitely worth reading.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
thanks
the last book I read was the disappearance before the movie was released
it's been a while since then and the rest of the books have been released consistently so I went ahead and ordered the rest

The Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Wavering of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Indignation of Haruhi Suzumiya
GDFan

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Could someone who's seen Katanagatari please comment on what they thought of the ending, without any specific spoilers. I was reading the posts(I didn't check under any spoiler tags) from the review for part 2, and it seems people's opinions are quite polarized.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. This is the only NISA series I'm interested in but haven't purchased yet.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I quite liked the ending - but then again I was a fan of the entire series. You are right - it was a polarizing type of ending and I don't think there is anyway to know in advance if it's something you'd dig without actually spoiling it.

Personally, I'm the kind of viewer who, even if a show disappoints me at the end, as long as it delivered the goods previously, I can still look back and enjoy the series as a whole. Some peeps, however, don't seem to be quite so forgiving.
GDFan

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Blood-, but maybe I should elaborate some?

The only kind of ending I would actually consider bad is when some closure is expected, and none is delivered. Whether or not events conclude how I desired, or expected, is irrelevant.

What I'm really looking to know: does Katanagatari have any type of overarching plot? And if so, is there any closure to this by the end of the series?

Or...maybe this series isn't the kind that needs any closure? Which I would be fine with. But this doesn't look like a typical slice of life series. Going only by my preconceived notions, this series needs a proper ending.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quote
In my opinion there is a definite closed ending. It's not one of those shows that just ends abruptly, leaving lots of unanswered questions. And yes, there is definitely an overarching plot. Katanagatari is a mission/quest type action show and the mission is completed.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably gonna pick up Utawarerumono soon, but I've got a question: how are the extra features on the singles? I can still find all six singles for about the price of the save edition, and I don't find the cover art impressive enough that the S.A.V.E. edition is much of a step down, so I'm trying to figure whether I'm missing out an anything good by opting for the more physically compact release.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I'm probably gonna pick up Utawarerumono soon, but I've got a question: how are the extra features on the singles? I can still find all six singles for about the price of the save edition, and I don't find the cover art impressive enough that the S.A.V.E. edition is much of a step down, so I'm trying to figure whether I'm missing out an anything good by opting for the more physically compact release.

Each of the singles includes a Character Art Gallery, a Glossary of Terms and Extended Episode Previews. There are also 4 "Omake Theater" comedy episodes and 2 recap episodes along with 2 "Q & A Sessions". Each volume also has a booklet with interviews with Japanese staff members and people involved in the English dub.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I want to buy The Irresponsible Captain Tylor TV series, but I don't know which set I should buy. There are tree different editions and I find it kind of confusing to decide which one I want. Should I get the normal box set (this one), the remastered box set or the litebox?
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Given that the original box set's OOP, the main question to ask is whether you prefer thinkpaks(a box with thinner-than-usual DVD cases) or liteboxes(a case with folding plastic 'pages' to hold the discs). Both versions would be the remastered edition.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Would the litebox have all 5 dvds in a normal sized dvd-case? And the original box set is still available in a couple of places at a good enough price (second-hand that is).
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:25 am Reply with quote
The litebox I have for Lucky Star is normal sized, while the similar cases I have for Digimon and Haruhi season 2 are both double-width, so it could go either way(the thinpak set is triple width). You'd need to ask RightStuf to be sure.
wormraper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
thinking of getting "Casshern Sins S.A.V.E. edition" or "Sekeiri seasons 1 and 2 combo pack from amazon's Funi sale. trying to decide which to get.
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
^Sekirei would probably be the safe way to go. It is a fanservice/harem, but actually pretty good in comedy and plot. A fun watch. Of course if you don't like fanservice/harem Sekirei probably isn't for you. From what I've read of people's reactions people tend to either really like Casshern Sins or think it is boring and trying too hard. It is a bit slow to get into the plot and has a bleak setting. So not a fun show, but if you like symbolism and post-apocalyptic stuff Casshern Sins might be for you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 96 of 132