• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dub VS. Sub?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you prefer--Dubs or Subs?
Dubs
38%
 38%  [ 173 ]
Subs
61%
 61%  [ 277 ]
Total Votes : 450

Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
^ That has always been my motto until Natsume's Book of Friends, and then I broke my rule with hardly a second thought =/ I'm now willing to buy sub only, but heavily lean towards anime with dubs, even if I prefer the sub.
Ghost10516

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I go with whatever I watched first. If I watched subs first, dubs are hard to watch, and vice versa.
Ghost10516

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I go with whatever I watched first. If I watched subs first, dubs are hard to watch, and vice versa.
CosmicRage

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I prefer dubbed just because then I can watch a title and get work done too. If I was strictly viewing I could go either way.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:01 am Reply with quote
LanceC wrote:
I always prefer subs. The voices are so much better. And this way I can learn some Japanese as well!

How much Japanese have you learned this way? Razz

Voices are better? That's highly subjective, and I don't agree at all.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote
@guildmaster

The question is "Which do you prefer", so all answers will be completely, not highly, subjective. There are no wrong answers to that question.

I can't speak for others, but I doubt you could learn to speak Japanese from watching subtitled shows. However, I do pick up words and phrases that I have heard over and over.

I started out preferring dubs when I was buying VHS. When DVDs came along and you got both versions, I would switch to the sub track to see what the Japanese version was on odd translations. I eventually started to watch mostly subs. This is now helpful when a lot of titles are sub only.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:30 am Reply with quote
Alan,

Stating one's preference has no right or wrong answer, however, while stating an opinion that one language voices are better also doesn't have a right or wrong answer, it is still one's opinion.

While I have come to assess certain English dub voices in some series as downright annoying (mostly the whiny ones) I still find them more pleasing to me than the sometimes gruff (and yes that's my opinion), Japanese voices.

Further, I do not enjoy trying to read subtitles while trying to watch the animation at the same time.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:16 am Reply with quote
@Guildmaster
Granted the original post under discussion could have been worded better.

I think I know which English voices you speak of, usually where the voice actor is getting out of their natural range trying to match the higher pitched Japanese voice. I think the Japanese voices sound more natural, but that is personal preference.

As far as reading subtitles while you are watching the show, that comes with experience. I usually keep the subtitles on even if I'm watching the dubbed version.

The main problem with insisting on dubbed anime is that there are a lot of good shows that are subtitled only. If you have enough dubbed anime to keep you busy that may not be a problem, but you are missing some important anime. If a company puts out a show subtitled only, it is not because they can't be bothered to dub it. It means they did not think there was enough of a market to pay for a dub and make a profit. I like to see a lot of dubbed titles come out because it means a good market.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:57 am Reply with quote
Alan, my main limitation is time, the hours out here are long. As a result i have yet to even start on 3/4 of what i brought out with me, so I'll have plenty of dubs to watch for quite a while.

As for the voices, I can't stand whiny high pitched voices in either language male or female, straining to reach high notes or not. If the Japanese voices are higher, they would sound even more annoying to me. Some i have heard are not high at all, (and some of the voice actors are getting close to my age), but I really have listened to very little subbed anime, i just can't tolerate it.

I'm usually trying to do several things at once with my small amount of free time, and am not going to try and read poorly placed subtitles while trying to watch the anime , while trying to do something else.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Sub as I prefer to watch something in the way it was originally intended.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:

I don't think that anime was intended to be watched with subtitles or a dub.
You can choose to have letters on the screen that were not intended to be there, or the characters speaking a language that they were not intended to speak. Either way is not what was originally intended. In my opinion.

There is certainly nothing wrong with preferring subs, for whatever reason.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:

You can choose to have letters on the screen that were not intended to be there, or the characters speaking a language that they were not intended to speak. Either way is not what was originally intended. In my opinion.

I think having letters on a screen is far closer to the original content than having the story dubbed in a different language. It's like having a transcript for a radio talk show in a different language as opposed to the show being replaced by an entire cast of people.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:

Haha, true - my opinion is flawed unless I can understand the other 99% of the Japanese language.

I do personally find dub to be a little frustrating in cases where they shorten or length lines to fit in with mouth movements, this sometimes make the dialog come across awkward or disjointed.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
ScumbagYoshi wrote:
I think having letters on a screen is far closer to the original content than having the story dubbed in a different language.

I actually do agree with you. Watching it subtitled is much closer to how it was intended to be watched than listening to a dub is.

TsunaReborn! wrote:
Haha, true - my opinion is flawed unless I can understand the other 99% of the Japanese language.

Your opinion is not really flawed. I was just being anal.
There are a few things that I tend to overreact to and "the way it was intended to be watched" just happens to be one of them.Sorry about that.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
ScumbagYoshi wrote:
I think having letters on a screen is far closer to the original content than having the story dubbed in a different language.

I actually do agree with you. Watching it subtitled is much closer to how it was intended to be watched than listening to a dub is.

TsunaReborn! wrote:

Your opinion is not really flawed. I was just being anal.
There are a few things that I tend to overreact to and "the way it was intended to be watched" just happens to be one of them.Sorry about that.

I mean, I think intent is important though, but it just doesn't matter so much unless you're actually Japanese. I'm American/Chinese so if I were to watch anime in its original intended form I wouldn't understand anything. This is made worse if I'm watching a show that's very well written in its use of the Japanese language, use of pun, wit, etc.

At that point, anything else is preference, but just like how if I could, I would read Dostoevsky or Tolstoy works in their original language, I'd prefer to be as close to the original content as possible.

Edit: I'd just like to point out that one of the biggest reasons why I gripe over dubs is because I'm always recommended them with the reason "they're so much better than the subbed version" or "this is one of the best dubs."

Because I think there's a difference between saying it's a good dub and saying that the voice acting is superb because I haven't run into many cases where I was very satisfied with the dubbed version save for one or two instances where I've been more or less apathetic about it.

Last edited by ScumbagYoshi on Sun May 12, 2013 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 15