Forum - View topic
How do you feel about American cartoons


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How would you describe your relationship with cartoons
Love them
21%
 21%  [ 35 ]
Like them
29%
 29%  [ 48 ]
Indifferent towards them
16%
 16%  [ 26 ]
Dislike most of them (there are a few exceptions)
22%
 22%  [ 37 ]
Hate them (won't touch any of them)
9%
 9%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 161

Author Message
Chagen46



Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 4141

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
Quote:
I never watch cartoons, but I have no active dislike for them. I just have no desire to watch any.


You watch Japanese cartoons, therefore you do watch cartoons. As for myself, I like them(American ones), due to having much better animation generally. BTW, character designs and how the characters look=/= better animation. Animation is just that. How characters move and how they ARE animated. Spongebob has much better animation than Endless Waltz even, due to how Spongebob's mouth actually moves properly unlike the flap flap bullshit foung in most Japanese cartoons. Japanese cartoons generally have better ART, not ANIMATION. Also, Spongebob is great fun to watch and he's hilarious. Some things like Gumball, Adventure Time and MLP just suck, due to hideous art, characters and other things. I also like Iron Man AA. Before Titan XL says "it's a French cartoon and not an American one" he's only half right. It's a French-American cartoon actually. Now that I think about it, IMAA might be more American than French. I also like most Batman cartoons. Why? Because they're violent, engaging and have cool storylines. But as a whole I prefer Japanese cartoons and movies. Not because of my Japanese background, but because I find them more entertaining with better music(generally) and voice acting.


Excuse me, did you just insult Adventure Time, Gumball, AND MLP:FIM? We are not going to get along well, it seems...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BonusStage



Joined: 24 Oct 2011
Posts: 178

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Geeze people, grow up a bit. Confused So what if people like anime more than other types of animation. From an objective standpoint the industry is more than likely a heck of a lot better at being expressive and diverse than any other country's industry because of the the lack of intrusive censorship, the sheer number of shows produced per year.

I'm a 28 year old man and I happen to like anime. Does that make me an "elitist stuck up dickhead"? Heck no! I just like having something to watch that does not insult my intelligence when I watch it, and anime happens to entertain this animation fan. Razz

Yes, the bulk of the anime mentioned in this thread people are using to prove their point are kids show as well. However, anime, unlike American kids shows these days, actually has content in their shows that appeal to older audiences, and they know how to pander to those fans. They had me personally early on with their sophisticated writing and diverse genres. Do I consider myself a weeaboo or "elitist dickhead"? Heck no. Do I like anime more than My Little Pony and Legend of Korra? God yes, those shows bored me to death.

To each their own. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
trilaan



Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 423
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:16 am Reply with quote
It depends but aside from Avatar: The Last Airbender I haven't been an active watcher of them since Disney's Gargoyles went off the air. The only upcoming US property I'm looking forward to immensely is Guardians of Luna. And Korra season 2 as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ikillchicken
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 6758
Location: Vancouver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:00 am Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
I'm a 28 year old man and I happen to like anime. Does that make me an "elitist stuck up dickhead"? Heck no!


Nobody even came close to saying that anyone who likes anime is an elitist dickhead. It's the pathological need to shit on everything else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Ggultra2764
Collector ExtraordinaireCollector Extraordinaire


Joined: 21 Jan 2004
Posts: 2392
Location: New York state.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:35 am Reply with quote
My thoughts of American animation tend to be that of indifference. There are titles from the West I can enjoy when they actually are entertaining, trust their audience and make use of animation as a creative medium such as Fantasia, Daria, Batman: The Animated Series, Secret of NIMH and Avatar: The Last Airbender. The big thing that prevents me from wanting to engage in more animated titles in America is obviously because of the Animation Age Ghetto spewing up anything that appeals only to the lowest common denominator, strictly geared for kids and the mainstream perception that animation is more entertainment than a medium for serious stories and themes like you can find in live-action titles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Psycho 101
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 7983
Location: Omega

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Wow Psycho, I'm not sure I could have said it better myself in a million tries. Spot on.

Sorry for late reply. Normally I am not so eloquent but I have my moments where brain, mouth, and fingers all work together to formulate actual coherent thoughts that make sense and actually convey the bloody point I want to make. They are rare, like a double rainbow, but when they happen their beauty is something to behold lol.

ikillchicken wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
And again, FTR, it was DomonX2 who started comparing anime and american cartoons, I just replied because I disagreed.


Replying to say you disagree (AKA what you didn't do):
"Actually, I disagree. I think the animation in anime generally holds up better than in American cartoons".

Being a dick (AKA what you did do):
"I'm just going to laugh histerically Because This is clearly better animated than this"

When you do the latter, you move from simply disagreeing to, as Psycho so eloquently put it, "acting like an elitist stuck up dickhead".

First Keonyn thinks I was spot on and now ikill is even agreeing with me. Holy rusted metal Batman I think I might feint lol.

BonusStage wrote:

I'm a 28 year old man and I happen to like anime. Does that make me an "elitist stuck up dickhead"?

Only if, like I said, you decide to berate, be condescending towards, and downright piss on others and their preferences simply because they like American cartoons as well. Or if they like any other product you prefer the opposite of for that matter. If you do that well then yes that would make you an elitist stuck up dickhead. Simply being 28 and liking anime does not. I'm 30 and like it so I got you beat anyways lol. Hell, Alan45 has EVERYONE beat at ANN on that one I think and he surely is not one at all. To give a clear cut example if you act like TitanXL from the forums than yes you are. If you act more like Alan45 then no you are not. Hope that helps heh.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village ElderVillage Elder


Joined: 25 Aug 2010
Posts: 2909
Location: Virginia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
EmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BonusStage



Joined: 24 Oct 2011
Posts: 178

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Only if, like I said, you decide to berate, be condescending towards, and downright piss on others and their preferences simply because they like American cartoons as well. Or if they like any other product you prefer the opposite of for that matter. If you do that well then yes that would make you an elitist stuck up dickhead. Simply being 28 and liking anime does not. I'm 30 and like it so I got you beat anyways lol. Hell, Alan45 has EVERYONE beat at ANN on that one I think and he surely is not one at all. To give a clear cut example if you act like TitanXL from the forums than yes you are. If you act more like Alan45 then no you are not. Hope that helps heh.


Confused I have not seen anyone here "piss on others" for liking American cartoons. I see more people being pissed on these forums for liking certain anime inbetween their own sects than American cartoons. I have only seen people who flat out say they find American cartoons terrible and anime is better in every way. That is not directed towards a person but a country's output of cartoons so is that the same thing in your eyes? I do not consider that the same thing or worthy of being called elitist in that regard. I see people take this as a personal attack and resort to name calling though. I have seen posters like Chagen46 and others call people weeaboos for saying an anime might be better than an American cartoon. Insulting a medium is not the same as a direct attack I feel, but some people seem to take it that way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EireformContinent



Joined: 30 May 2009
Posts: 977
Location: Łódź/Poland (The Promised Land)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Confused I have not seen anyone here "piss on others" for liking American cartoons.

Because after several flamewars that usually finished with long time bans, mods become quite sensitive and such assumptions are scotched as soon as they appear.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Psycho 101
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 7983
Location: Omega

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:

Confused I have not seen anyone here "piss on others" for liking American cartoons.

You have not been here long enough then or seen enough threads lol.

Alan45 wrote:
EmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassed

Think of yourself Alan as the wise elder seer of the forums. You're ANN's Mr Miyagi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Panzer Vor



Joined: 04 Dec 2012
Posts: 248

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
To get back on topic here, I am very disappointed that, as far as I can tell, not a single person has mentioned either Beavis and Butt-head or any of Adult Swim's original animated programs. Probably says a lot about me that those are pretty much the only American cartoon series I can really enjoy (well, apart from classic Looney Tunes, Animaniacs, Batman: the Animated Series, Futurama prior to its revival by Comedy Central, early Family Guy, The Simpsons from the mid-1990s to the mid-2000s).

So, on the whole, yes, I do like American cartoons just as much as I like anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ambimunch



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 1005
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:16 am Reply with quote
Aside from teen titans, danny phantom, martin mystery, avatar the last airbender and Korra---I hate the rest D:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kookykonata



Joined: 07 May 2013
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:46 am Reply with quote
Since I have been into anime a little more heavily, american cartoons have seemed to be lacking in both animation quality and entertainment. It really makes you realize how poor american cartoons are now-a-days.
Of course, there are some exceptions. Naturally, there's Seth Mcfarlane's cartoons (Family Guy, American Dad, Clevland Show), and the occasional Fox cartoon. But I love Cartoon Network's Adventure Time, The Amazing World of Gumball, and Regular Show.
Other than that, Nickelodeon is flatlining (most of their shows aren't even cartoons anymore) and disney only has baby shows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TsunaReborn!
Enjoying the time of EVEEnjoying the time of EVE


Joined: 08 Sep 2012
Posts: 2408
Location: Cheltenham UK

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:04 am Reply with quote
I was a huge fan of Teen Titans, X-Men: Evolution, Justice legue etc when i was younger and if I could pick up a cheap boxset to relive some childhood memories - like I managed to with Tom & Jerry + Wacky Races- otherwise now I do not have an opinion on them as I do not watch them as I out grew them Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
SailorStarish



Joined: 23 May 2013
Posts: 4
Location: United States

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Too many times have I seen cartoons were the characters are teens and older but who don't act half their age. I feel let down for certain by Disney. The last movie I really liked was the Lion King (2). Most of their newer movies have been more computerized and I feel that has taken alot away from the whole experience.

Unfortunately, I also don't care for most of the cartoons that are supposed to be for adults, such as South Park, which I think is extremely gross.

American cartoons overall have been in the trash can for several years. Which is why more and more people have gravitated to Anime (Japanese Animation). If this keeps up, eventually there won't be any cartoons made in the America that people are going to want to buy/watch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group