• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dusk maiden of Amnesia Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
Nice, this review is just about how I feel about Dusk Maiden.

It took me about 3 episodes before I realized that this show was shaping up to be something great, and I sure am glad I stuck with it because I agree that it is one of the best shows of 2012.

And this coming from a guy who has had more than enough of high school based anime.... When I see "high school" in the description of a show my microscope instantly comes out and if I don't see something that REALLY grabs me, I skip it entirely. I am definitely glad I didn't skip this one!
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
I might rewatch the show again because of this review.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I think a lot of people overlooked this show due to the premise and how the vibe the first episode portrayed it, but after watching half the series in Japanese I knew I had to stop and wait for the sentai release. I'm glad I waited as they certainly got a decent dub cast with a few of them from Ef - a tale of memories. I only hope Another has a decent dub this july....
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Yep, this was one of my faves of the 2012 season. I do depart from Theron, however, in that I actually somewhat preferred Sankarea over DMoA, but they are both fine shows. I remember I had an unusual reaction (for me) to the ending. On the one hand, it was the ending I thought I wanted but then when I actually experienced it, I felt like it wasn't the right one - it's an ending that somewhat dissipates the power of what immediately precedes it. Overall, however, I really dug this.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I am in the camp that was disappointed in the gimmick at the end. It just blew it, in my opinion. However, if they actually manage to make more seasons of this because of it, I'll accept the gimmick as necessary.

Excellent review! A bit higher praise that I expected, but not undeserved. It was a really great show and I should revisit it... perhaps in the dubbed form... Maybe on my shelf...
Khooni

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe this!!! An ecchi anime getting A in everything!!! You're now my favorite Reviewer!
redcar

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
On the one hand, it was the ending I thought I wanted but then when I actually experienced it, I felt like it wasn't the right one - it's an ending that somewhat dissipates the power of what immediately precedes it. Overall, however, I really dug this.

I'm more or less in the same camp; I kinda wanted that ending, but at the same time I felt that spoiler[if he really loved her, he would have let her go (though it wasn't entirely his fault, strictly speaking)]. In any case, I did enjoy the anime as a whole, regardless of my reservations about the ending. Also, Teiichi's sentiment at one point that "it doesn't matter to love whether or not someone is alive or dead!" made me laugh more than I have in a long time Laughing
StormSky92

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda surprised this is getting such a good review, but i'm happy about it. I really liked the series. It was a good mix of a variety of genres. The ending was.....questionable. With the manga coming to an end in Japan soon, I suspect quite a few people will start reading it. I'll definitely be interested in seeing the differences.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Ya, some people had problems with the ending in particular the finale but hell, this was one of my favorites from Spring 2012. I just love the atmosphere of the show that balances occasionally from moody to serious, in particular later on.

As for the series itself, I thought the series had many fun moments and catchy dialogues. I also agree w/the review related to a mixture of various genres into this and I thought it pulled off well.

Shame manga is going to end soon and OVA wasn't too special. Still, Dusk Maiden is one series I enjoyed watching last year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Excellent review! A bit higher praise that I expected, but not undeserved. It was a really great show and I should revisit it... perhaps in the dubbed form... Maybe on my shelf...

Shouldn't be too surprising, since it was in my top 5 for the year in my Best (and Most Notable) of 2012 feature; in fact, after rewatching it completely I'm officially placing it as my #3 series overall and #2 series originating in 2012, behind only Love, Chunibyou, and Other Delusions.

And to address Blood-'s comment: I also slightly preferred Sankarea at first, but this one has distinct advantages on music and artistry and a stronger second half. I also thought it found a smoother balance.

This one will definitely be going into my periodic-rewatch rotation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm not one for the TV anime's conclusion, but I'm curious how the actual manga ending will wrap things up.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I was kind of hesitant on getting this one, because while it was one of my favorites in the particular season it aired, I wasn't sure if it would have the rewatch value to warrant the purchase. Sentai managed to grab me with the promise of an extra-filled release (as Media Factory-published titles from them tend to get), and watching through the series again (English dubbed this time) I'm really happy I did. It holds up well. Like how pretty much every episode ties into the mystery of Yuuko's past. Knowing what happened still made it interesting to catch the early references.

Quote:
the full-length OVA episode “Ghost Girl,” which is a purely comedic extension of the series set after the final episode. (Some sources list this as episode 13, but Sentai does not classify it that way on the disk.)

Going by the product listing on Amazon JP, the "episode 13" designation is official, even if Sentai didn't use it for whatever reason.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Spring 2012 was an interesting season with several . . . unusual Romantic Comedies shows. A zombie, a ghost, and a girl with magical drool; I dare anyone to find another season with such a unique selection of love interests.

Mysterious Girlfriend X > Dusk Maiden of Amnesia > Sankarea

Sankarea was simply amazing for the first two or three episodes but went down the gurgler in the second half. I've definitely soured on it a little. Dusk Maiden of Amnesia had a highly memorable start, really sucked with the disastrous mass hysteria episode, then promptly got back on its feet and finished strongly (would have been even better without the final scene). But Mysterious Girlfriend X is the pick of the bunch, with amazing fanservice, great insight into teenager's relationships and their developing sexuality, and an unforgettably awesome female lead.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoyed the show overall but I didn't like the direction the ending eventually took.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I watched this as my Halloween show of last year, which I probably shouldn't have done since I came away disappointed that it wasn't scarier or more haunting.

It had its ups and downs. I agree with dtm42 that the mass hysteria episode was really stupid even if they did give some sort of reasoning for it. I wasn't really feeling the main couple, so I found the relationship aspects kinda boring. But I did enjoy the episodes with Yuuko's past. Those were well done.

And as for the ending? Well, despite not being really invested in the couple, I still couldn't help but feel like the emotion was off. spoiler[Her leaving him and making it seem like it was a permanent deal] felt more... I don't know, sincere and moving, than what eventually followed. I don't have problems with happy endings, but the way this was tacked on felt off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5