• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Teh Rules Changelog

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Announcements & The Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:09 am Reply with quote
New Rule added 2003-06-24:

Many people first come to our forum to ask questions on how or why... Please treat them with respect. Do not respond to questions from new visitors with sarcasm and/or hostility. While the answers may be obvious to you (because you're such a knowledgeable and intelligent person) they might not be quite so obvious to those that are less versed in the ways of Anime. Even if you think it's just common sense and that the questioner is lacking it, please be polite in your responses. If you are unable to provide a polite answer, then don't say anything at all.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:55 pm Reply with quote
New Rule:

3b) Some semblance of proper grammar (periods and capitals at a minimum) is required. If you're too lazy to properly type what you have to say, say it elsewhere. If English is not your first language, please make a note of this in your first couple(5) of posts, such that the admins & other forum dwellers do not mistakenly assume you are lazy. You will still be expected to try to write properly (within your ability).

Modification:

Discussion, disagreement, dissent, criticism, comments and suggestions are all permitted.

"dissent" removed.

Modification:

Some formatting changed.

Last edited by Tempest on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:13 pm Reply with quote
The original rules may still be found here:
Tempest wrote:
Teh Rules are a work in progress. Discussion, disagreement, criticism, comments and suggestions are all permitted.

As for "Teh", it's a joke regarding a spelling mistake that I frequently make. I'm not the first person to post "Teh Rules", I claim no originality in naming them as such, it has been done before.

The administrators of this forum hope to promote an environment of intelligent conversation, we would prefer to hear your thoughts or questions behind the meaning of a particular anime, not what anime character you'd like to date. Silly topics are acceptable from time to time, but if and when they become to prevalent the forum moderators have the right to close (lock) them even if they do not break any of the specific rules outlined here.

1a) Discussion should be related to anime, anime news, Anime News Network or in some way relevant to this website.

1b) Topic titles (subjects) must be descriptive of the topic. Creation of "bait" subjects is not permited.

2) Signatures should be no more than 5 lines long. Images in signatures are permitted but should be no more than 45 pixels in height (75% of a banner) and 300 pixels in width. Sigs should never be the majority of a post. If your signature is longer than your post disable it. Please note, Signatures are currently disabled.

3a) One liners are permitted but frowned upon. Please keep them to a minimum.

3b) Some semblance of proper grammar (periods and capitals at a minimum) is required. If you're too lazy to properly type what you have to say, say it elsewhere. If English is not your first language, please make a note of this in your first couple(5) of posts, such that the admins & other forum dwellers do not mistakenly assume you are lazy. You will still be expected to try to write properly (within your ability).

4a) Swearing, insults, racial slurs, unrully behaviour and the like are not permitted. This means no flaming, and no personal attacks upon another forum user. If you wish to express disagreement with a person's opinion, or correct their facts, do so without calling them a *&^*?@%%%!!!!

4b) Many people first come to our forum to ask questions on how or why... Please treat them with respect. Do not respond to questions from new visitors with sarcasm and/or hostility. While the answers may be obvious to you (because you're such a knowledgeable and intelligent person) they might not be quite so obvious to those that are less versed in the ways of Anime. Even if you think it's just common sense and that the questioner is lacking it, please be polite in your responses. If you are unable to provide a polite answer, then don't say anything at all.

4c) (legalese)
You may not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. The webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit.

5) Admins will apply an ex-post facto rule to banning or removal of posting privs. Basically, if we feel it is necessary to make a rule because of one of your posts, then you cannot be banned or have posting privs revoked. Your post however may be deleted or edited.

6) Quoting - Please quote the relevant part of a person's message, and only the relevant part. Lack of quotes can make a topic hard to follow, on the other hand overabundant quoting serves no purpose but to waste bandwidth.

7a) No Commerce - ANN's forums are not to be used to sell goods or services. Nor are they to be used to advertise commercial endeavours or commercial websites. *UNLESS* someone requests information of the sort.

7b) While commerce is not allowed, selling / advertizing bootleg material is *ABSOLUTELY* not allowed, regardless if it is requested. Any poster doing so will be immediately banned and may have their activities reported to the appropriate authorities.

7c) New users should not use the forum to advertize their own websites. We highly disapprove of webmasters coming to this forum (both commercial and non-commercial) for no reason other than to advertize their own websites. Therefore, any post that is within a new user's first 10 posts or first week on the webboard that is nothing more than an advertizement for a website will be deleted. New users may still mention their website in their tagline / signature and they may refer to their website if it is relevant to an existing topic on hand.

8) If a thread is locked by an Admin the topic is not to be immediately brought up in a new (or another already existing) thread. It has been closed because the admins do not want to see the conversation proceed any further.

9a) (Privacy Statement)
The information you enter during your registration is stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent we cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.

9b) This forum system uses cookies to store information on your local computer. These cookies do not contain any information about you, they serve only to improve your viewing pleasure by saving your forum settings. Your email address is used only for confirming your registration details and password (and for sending new passwords should you forget your current one). Your IP address will be logged with each post but will only be viewable to administrators and moderators.

10) While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or Anime News Network (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held liable.

[These rules were rewritten on 12/10/2003]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Old:
Quote:
10) Users may not link to bootlegs, fansubs, scanilations, active fan-translating groups, peer-to-peer networks, timed scripts, or websites that house these groups or products.

Clarification:
Quote:
10) Users may not request or link to bootlegs, fansubs, scanilations, active fan-translating groups, peer-to-peer networks, timed scripts, or websites that house these groups or products.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:27 am Reply with quote
Rules Clarification:

Rule 10 now includes MP3s, unauthorized movie clips, as there have been a rash of these requests lately.

And, a mini-Editorial on the matter:
In general, no file may be requested on ANN in any way (including via Private Message), unless that file has been specifically distributed BY the company owning it for purposes of internet propagation.

[update 3/31]
I've removed the bold tags and url links from the rules, because they were messing up the display for new users.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:05 am Reply with quote
13) Use the search engine and read the site. This should be obvious, but people regularly ask questions that have recently been covered in other forum threads on in ANN's articles. So before asking a question, put the keywords into the ANN search engine and the forum search engine. Checking the Encyclopedia may be a good idea too! (depending on your question).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:23 pm Reply with quote
" Please post detailed answers to questions, lists do not contribute. "

Added to Rule #3
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:40 pm Reply with quote
1) Our IRC "Chat" channel is meant to be a relaxed place, its not necessarry for conversations to be on topic, correct grammar and punctuation is not as necessarry as in the forum (but try to remain comprehensible please), quoting isn't necessary, and one liners are fine.

2) All other forum rules remain in effect in the IRC Chat Channel.

3) Colored text is frowned upon. Please stick to black, to reduce clutter.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Added the words "and one-liners" to rule #3.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Added:

Quote:
8b) No "Back Seat Moderating" - If you know a thread is going to be locked, do not post in it, posting in threads that are clearly going to be locked will be dealt with as "trolling " type behaviour. Do not berate posters for breaking the rules, that is the job of the ANN moderators and admins. Please report the post and, if you think it is necessary, contact a moderator or admin.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:25 am Reply with quote
added:
Quote:
Links to and discussions about websites that provide authoried, legal downloads are permitted.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:46 am Reply with quote
Portion in bold added.
Quote:
2) This forum is an English-language forum. All users are expected to have a working knowledge of proper English. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. All conversation must be in English. If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
Teh Rules have been cleaned up, refined, and superceded according to this thread.

The previous rules (as of Sep 21 2015) wrote:
Teh Rules are a work in progress. Discussion, disagreement, criticism, comments and suggestions are all permitted.

As for "Teh", it's a joke regarding a spelling mistake that I frequently make. I'm not the first person to post "Teh Rules", I claim no originality in naming them as such, it has been done before.

The administrators of this forum hope to promote an environment of intelligent conversation, we would prefer to hear your thoughts or questions behind the meaning of a particular anime, not what anime character you'd like to date. Silly topics are acceptable from time to time, but if and when they become to prevalent the forum moderators have the right to close (lock) them even if they do not break any of the specific rules outlined here.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Above all else: Be Polite

1. Discussion should be related to anime, anime news, Anime News Network, the forum topic, or in some way relevant to this website. Excessively off-topic ("OT") posts will be locked or deleted.
  2. English Language Usage
    1. These forums are English-language forums. All users are expected to have a working knowledge of proper English. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. All conversation must be in English. If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post. If you have a disability that impacts your writing ability (e.g., dyslexia), then please say so in your first post.
  3. Discussions should carry some measure of intelligence to them. Consider if what you are writing is relevant or important to others. If it does not contribute to the discussion, then do not post it. Please post detailed answers to questions; lists and one-liners do not contribute.
  4. Swearing is frowned upon. If you disagree with a poster, disagree respectfully, or do not disagree at all.
  5. Signatures are disabled. Do not make "fake" signatures.
  6. Do not excessively quote. If you are responding to a single idea, quote only that relevant part. Discussion on what is considered Excessive/Over Quoting is here.
  7. Abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-charged, dangerous or illegal material will be removed from the forum by moderators. Depending on the severity of the incident, your IP address may be retained or reported to law enforcement, as necessary.
  8. Moderation
    1. Moderators have the right to lock, delete or modify any post at any time for any reason. If a thread is locked, that means the subject may not be brought up again. If you feel a thread should be locked, click on any post's red-exclamation mark icon.
    2. Moderators are volunteers; they lack the time to read every single post. If you come across a questionable/objectionable post, then please click on the red-exclamation-mark icon and fill out the accompanying form.
    3. No "Back Seat Moderating" - If you know a thread is going to be locked, do not post in it, posting in threads that are clearly going to be locked will be dealt with as "trolling " type behavior. Do not berate posters for breaking the rules, that is the job of the ANN moderators and admins. Please report the post and, if you think it is necessary, contact a moderator or admin.
  9. Commerce
    1. No Commerce is allowed outside of either the Retail or Subscriber Personal Sales Forum! ANN's forums are not to be used to sell, buy or transfer goods or services. Users may not post their own commercial endeavors or link to commercial websites unless specifically requested by another poster. Personal websites may be linked as necessary, provided that it is requested or relevant to the discussion. Users who have been hired to advertise for specific items will be banned.
    2. Subscribers may use the Subscriber Personal Sales Forum to sell their personal property (see rules here),
    3. Commerce is allowed in the Retail Forum! However, in the regular Retail Forum commerce is limited to commercial websites only. Individuals seeking to sell items in the regular retail forum are not permitted. Links to online auctions are not permitted in the regular retail forum. Websites that sell items in violation of Rule #10 will be removed and their URLs banned (see Rule #12).
  10. Users may not request or link to bootlegs, fansubs, scanlations, active fan-translating groups, peer-to-peer networks, timed scripts, MP3s, unauthorized movie clips, or websites that house these groups or products. Links to and discussions about websites that provide authorized, legal downloads are permitted.
  11. While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message (see rule #8b). Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author, not Anime News Network. Additionally, statements by Anime News Network staff on this forum are personal opinions and may not reflect the views of Anime News Network as a whole.
  12. This forum has banned a number of URLs to known bootlegging websites. If a user posts an URL that displays as [This URL is a Known Bootlegging website], or a similar warning message, the user may not evade the censor. Users that evade the censor may be punished.
  13. Use the search engine and read the site. This should be obvious, but people regularly ask questions that have recently been covered in other forum threads on in ANN's articles. So before asking a question, put the keywords into the ANN search engine and the forum search engine. Checking the Encyclopedia may be a good idea too! (depending on your question).
  14. Many people first come to our forum to ask questions on how or why... Please treat them with respect. Do not respond to questions from new visitors with sarcasm and/or hostility. While the answers may be obvious to you (because you're such a knowledgeable and intelligent person) they might not be quite so obvious to those that are less versed in the ways of Anime. Even if you think that that it's just plain common sense and that the questioner is lacking it, please be polite in your responses. If you are unable to provide a polite answer, then don't say anything at all.
  15. Necroposting is discussed here.
  16. What to do if you've been banned

[Privacy Statement]
The information you enter during your registration is stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent we cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempts that may lead to the data being compromised. If data entered is requested by law authorities, we will comply fully with their request.

This forum system uses cookies to store information on your local computer. These cookies do not contain any information about you, they serve only to improve your viewing pleasure by saving your forum settings. Your email address is used only for confirming your registration details and password (and for sending new passwords should you forget your current one). Your IP address will be logged with each post but will only be viewable to administrators and moderators.

Concluding Statements:
If you think something is unfair, private message Tempest and explain the situation. We will consider the complaint as fairly as we are capable of doing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Announcements & The Rules All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1