• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Sentai in Talks Over Former Bandai Entertainment Titles

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Is it gonna be one or the other? Or are some gonna go to funimation and some to Sentai?

Im more a Funi guy myself, so Im leaning more towards those, but I hope to pick up all the old bandai/sunrise titles I missed regardless of the distributors
Crystal

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I like both companies, but I think I'd prefer if Sentai got a bunch of Bandai stuff, since FUNi gets a lot of stuff and the former has used LA-area voice actors quite a bit. I like both, but kind of want the industry to be a bit more "spread out" instead of "all the eggs in one basket" sort of thing.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
It'll be interesting to see if they can get the bluray rights to any titles. I know it's not a Sunrise title, but I think Sentai getting the first season of K-On! is pretty much a given.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Was only a matter of time before this would be coming along. The fun part will be guessing who gets what, though a few titles could be obvious with what they recently picked up (Funi gets Eureka 7, Sentai gets K-ON!). Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
If Funimation gets Cowboy Bebop, I hope they can release an awesome DVD/BD boxset similar to their LE boxset of Lain. Definitely worth the $54 from rightstuf if that happens.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
thats good, im guessing it will include new tittles as well, its a shame that bandai ent us went belly-up but the market isint exactly in the best position right now.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
Is it gonna be one or the other? Or are some gonna go to funimation and some to Sentai?

Im more a Funi guy myself, so Im leaning more towards those, but I hope to pick up all the old bandai/sunrise titles I missed regardless of the distributors

Probably be like license-rescued Geneon titles, where it'll depend on who is willing to pay the most for the individual titles. Just look at Gundam Unicorn, that shows that they're willing to split up the titles and sell them off to an individual publisher.

I'd rather stuff like Gundam go to Funimation. Because at least with them, there's a chance of it being added to their budget line eventually(and actually costing under $30).

Last edited by tangytangerine on Sat May 25, 2013 8:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Fingers crossed that we'll hear some news at Anime Expo (doubtful, but wishful thinking). Would be a great time/place to announce Bandai license rescues. I am hoping to see things like Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass, Hayate the Combat Butler, Scrapped Princess, and many more that I can't remember at the top of my head. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
FUNi gets Bebop.

Calling it now.
terminus24

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Really hope Gosick gets recovered from what Bandai had. That series was amazing.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I know Funimation will get Eureka Seven, especially since they have AO. I've been wanting to get Scrapped Princess for quite awhile, so I hope it gets picked up, but I don't think it will be an immediate pick up. Haruhi Suzumiya I feel will go to Sentai.
Scormio

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I know it's not a Sunrise title, but hopefully that means one of them is interested in Nichijou. Never even got a chance Sad

I'm assuming it would be Sentai, since they already got stuff like K-ON! and A Channel, but if FUNi ever wanted to dive into the moe market, Nichijou is as good a place as any to start...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Hey, since this is from the animation company Sunrise who are in talks with individual licensers, I myself was thinking more along the lines of former Bandai titles such as Gundam [whathaveyou] and the Mai franchise and has little to do with Bandai's former licenses.

K-On, Cowboy Bebop? Yeah, no. New titles? What, shows that don't have dubs?

Also, these were already dubbed, it's all a matter of preference. And seeing when these shows were produced, I think BD releases aren't essential. And since I have the ones I want, meh from me.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
News like this gives me hope for Turn-A-Gundam, even though the rational part of my brain tells me that I'm probably just setting myself up for disappointment.
TG72

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Please, PLEASE get Haruhi, Funimation! K-ON should be with Sentai. Don't know where they'd end up, but it's nice for us Gosick/Nichijou fans to have a ray of hope Cool

Last edited by TG72 on Sat May 25, 2013 9:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8