• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comic-Con: Crayon Shin-chan on Adult Swim

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyoShin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
You know, why doesn't Adult Swim do its trials through the Fix? They can put up a slew of Anime and other animated shows that they are thinking on but unsure if they'll air or not. They make an agreement with the company to put the first episode on The Fix (in the case of Anime, it could be subtitled, but a lot of casual viewers might be turned off by that), and ask users to rate their interest in the show after they watch it. They can use that as a spring board towards getting the show or not.

Maybe if they did that sooner we wouldn't get stuff like 12oz Mouse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
VNV Clansman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote
with samurai 7, gunslinger girl, and basilisk, IFC has already surpassed adult swim in quality of anime that they have gotten.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't know anything about this show, but just looking at the link it kinda looks like another Super Milk-Chan. Can anyone confirm this? Or if it isn't what is the show like, and is it funny?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't know anything about this show, but just looking at the link it kinda looks like another Super Milk-Chan. Can anyone confirm this? Or if it isn't what is the show like, and is it funny?

I haven't seen the show, but I've read up to volume nine of the manga and it's hysterical. It's more like The Rugrats (the original Rugrats, not that All Grown Up garbage) with a potty mouth and penis jokes than Super Milk-chan.

EDIT: I wonder if they're going to censor The Happy Elephant Dance.
LunarBluestone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Having a short trial run on the Fix is an excellent idea. It's a wonder AdultSwim hasn't done such a thing yet. It would seem like a win-win situation for them; if the series does well on the Fix they'll have a built-in audience, or, if it does poorly they can justify not adding it on the regular AdultSwim schedule.

As for Crayon Shin-Chan, what would be interesting is to what extent they'll have to edit out the nudity in the show. Granted, it's little-boy nudity but many times it's the major part of the humor in a scene. If he's suddenly running around with digitally-added underwear the joke will be lost.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
i find it interesting that IFC is getting all the anime people actually want, while Adult Swim has maybe two anime this year people actually care about. on top of that, IFC is completely unedited. if they keep this trend up, they could possibly overtake them.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote
LunarBluestone wrote:
As for Crayon Shin-Chan, what would be interesting is to what extent they'll have to edit out the nudity in the show. Granted, it's little-boy nudity but many times it's the major part of the humor in a scene. If he's suddenly running around with digitally-added underwear the joke will be lost.

Not to mention that it's about 50 percent of the jokes in the show.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i find it interesting that IFC is getting all the anime people actually want, while Adult Swim has maybe two anime this year people actually care about. on top of that, IFC is completely unedited. if they keep this trend up, they could possibly overtake them.

I am proud of IFC they are willing to pay for anime and want it seems that they are continuing this tread of anime shows, by acquiring two good pieces of work.

You are right V1cious IFC is posed to swing the power away from [AS] in term of anime viewers. And also a show like Basilik needs to be unedited, right? I heard that it is very violent, so this makes sense that IFC would get it.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how there going to get around the "elephant" joke.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:55 pm Reply with quote
If this show's as bad as it looks (and sounds, from this topic), then I officially hate Kim Manning and join all of the people that want to get her fired.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:10 pm Reply with quote
shadow_Hiei wrote:
If this show's as bad as it looks (and sounds, from this topic), then I officially hate Kim Manning and join all of the people that want to get her fired.

Why, cause they're trying something different? Granted, it's probably not adult, but it's the only place they could air it. Besides, this is a "test run" and I'm sure FUNimation or Adult Swim are banking much on the show.

People are praising IFC for picking up some anime titles from FUNi. Cool, I have no problem with that. However, "surpassing" AS is a stretch. How many homes is IFC in? Compared to AS, which sharing channel space with Cartoon Network, reaches 89 million homes.

Edit: BTW, when did Phuuz dub this show? I didn't realize the show came to America before.

Last edited by SSJ Gohan 64 on Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
LunarBluestone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote
shadow_Hiei wrote:

The show isn't bad -- it's actually pretty funny. There were many times my whole family were rolling around laughing at some of the episodes (we were watching the subtitled version, too).

The characters are drawn that way because that's how they look in the manga. It's supposed to look crude.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:03 pm Reply with quote
LunarBluestone wrote:

If they do, I imagine they'll use the mosaic censor, like in The Boondocks. Then again, this isn't much worse than, say...the little boy nudity in Dragonball Z, right? That aired on Cartoon Network with a TV PG rating and no censorship when they were showing DBZ uncut at 10:30.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote
LunarBluestone wrote:

The characters are drawn that way because that's how they look in the manga. It's supposed to look crude.

yeah its supposed to look like the show is some kids doodles.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
standalonecomplex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:28 pm Reply with quote
VNV Clansman wrote:
with samurai 7, gunslinger girl, and basilisk, IFC has already surpassed adult swim in quality of anime that they have gotten.

Surpassed? Are you not counting Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Fullmetal Alchemist, Samurai Champloo, InuYasha, FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Paranoia Agent, Metropolis, and Knockin' on Heaven's Door?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5