• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comic-Con: Live Action Afro Samurai

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:00 am Reply with quote
wow, they're making a bigger deal out of this than i thought.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Sam's too old to fight, and Nolan needs to expand beyond comic book movies. But not by doing crap like The Illusionist, I mean The Prestige. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by GATSU on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, a Futurama episode costed $1.2 million, so this is pretty expensive for an anime show.

Hopefully the three minute of edits will be for scenes that aren't important to the plot. It's kinda weird that the show was made for Japanese TV in mind but, will air here first.

At last, we can now can debate if the Japanese version will be accurate to the English version. Very Happy
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Sam's too old to fight, and Nolan needs to expand beyond comic book movies. But not by doing crap like The Illusionist, I mean The Prestige. Rolling Eyes

what are you talking about? he made Memento before he made any of that stuff.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I liked Memento, but he seems to have been typecast since then.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
crap like The Illusionist, I mean The Prestige. Rolling Eyes

What the hell is your problem?

Those two movies have very little in common and The Prestige looks really, really good. That trailer was excellent.

Barring that the movie isn't even remotely out yet and I know you haven't seen it, so how can you call it "crap"?

You seem to have this automatically totally cynical, hardline negative opinion on EVERYTHING related to Hollywood or live-action films, period, and it's totally unwavering. If someone says something - ANYTHING - about any sort of live-action anything I know you'll be the first or second person to post in it with some totally negative awful nonsense. It's getting really old and predictable.
tebalith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Zac.

I have high hopes for The Prestige. Exciting cinematography, great actors, and based on a very interesting and unique novel.

As for Afro Samurai? I found the title ridiculous the first time I heard it; I'm surprised they are taking this so far. Can't we all see whether it is any good first...?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Zac:
Quote:
Those two movies have very little in common

They're both about rival magicians.

Quote:
and The Prestige looks really, really good.

It looks almost as incoherent and bombastic as Lady in the Water.

Quote:
Barring that the movie isn't even remotely out yet and I know you haven't seen it, so how can you call it "crap"?

Probably for the same reason I can call Battlefield Earth crap without seeing it.

Quote:
You seem to have this automatically totally cynical, hardline negative opinion on EVERYTHING related to Hollywood or live-action films, period, and it's totally unwavering. If someone says something - ANYTHING - about any sort of live-action anything I know you'll be the first or second person to post in it with some totally negative awful nonsense.

That's because most live-action Hollywood films are horrible. They're partly why I got into anime in the first place.

tebalith: Well it's probably no more ridiculous than Snakes on a Plane.
Kholdstare

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Unless Afro Samurai turns out to be a lot better then I think it would be, I would rather see Christopher Nolan work on a Batman Begins sequel.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:58 am Reply with quote
Wait, I just realized something.

Quote:

Didn't you do the same when I asked you about Superman Returns?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:55 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
They're both about rival magicians.

Oh MY how dare they share a similar plot point! Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Probably for the same reason I can call Battlefield Earth crap without seeing it.

Because you're a negative, cynical shithead?

Quote:
That's because most live-action Hollywood films are horrible. They're partly why I got into anime in the first place.

Because anime is so much better okay yeah sure thankyou

I'm agreeing with Zac in much less refined words. I'm all about people having opinions about things but nearly every single bloody post from you is "Well jeez, they're going to screw that up! Rolling Eyes " or "Jeez Rolling Eyes " or many variations of said two lines. Any retorts? "Well, X was shit, so this has to be, due to some vague reasons. Also screw actually seeing movies before developing opinions, when I can go to AICN and someone can tell me! If it isn't what I want to hear, I'll just use the exact opposite reasoning! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ".
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Because you're a negative, cynical shithead?

Now now, remember
teh rules wrote:
4) Swearing is frowned upon. If you disagree with a poster, disagree respectfully, or do not disagree at all.

It's a little old when the same things are posted but there no need to swear.

Gatsu wrote:
Sam's too old to fight, and Nolan needs to expand beyond comic book movies. But not by doing crap like The Illusionist, I mean The Prestige.

First off I am not sure why you find it necessary to bust Nolan chops, looks at his track record all he does is make great movies period. I rather have Nolan (who does a lot of adaptations) that makes great stories, then that of Boll. Also having just scene the trailer the cast looks great the story seems (haven't read the book) interesting, I am not sure where the problem is.

Onto the movie at hand when I originally heard of this live-action I already had this picture of my head of what Jackson would look like. Take one part Pulp Fiction, add it along with the action and feel and Kill Bill and ya got yourself a movie.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
God Gundam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:21 pm Reply with quote
So Samuel's working with the genius behind Batman Begins? Wierd. Good news is that this film should turn out great with Nolan behind the wheel.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:07 am Reply with quote
Delta:
Quote:

First off I am not sure why you find it necessary to bust Nolan chops,

'Cus The Prestige looks like a step down from Batman Begins.

Quote:
Also having just scene the trailer the cast looks great the story seems (haven't read the book) interesting, I am not sure where the problem is.

It's just trying to be too many things. (A period piece? A romantic drama? A sci-fi thriller?) Of course, to be fair, Warner's marketing has been awful this year.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:24 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
'Cus The Prestige looks like a step down from Batman Begins.

Just from the trailer? You can already tell it's going to be aweful that pretty amazing..........

GATSU wrote:
It's just trying to be too many things. (A period piece? A romantic drama? A sci-fi thriller?) Of course, to be fair, Warner's marketing has been awful this year.

But that part of marketing in general and part of a trailer is to get a LOT of people interested in a movie if that means making it look like something it is not then Warner Bros has done it's job.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2