• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2013-06-05

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote
I don't exactly get the joke. Can anyone please explain? I don't go to cons, maybe that's why.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I don't exactly get the joke. Can anyone please explain? I don't go to cons, maybe that's why.

How I interpret the strip is that it plays into the notion that some fans think they are good enough that the long road to becoming a voice actor does not apply to them.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote
to explain the joke spoiler[You put voice actors in a Q and A, the question will always pop up in one form or another, the other popular question would be "how did you get into voice acting"]
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote
I think the answer is that the same question was answered but it was how it was worded. Nina asked the question. The question was answered and then nerd boy asked the same question. Emphasizing it. But the thing is the question was already answered.

I kind of got the feeling that somehow that guy wasn't paying attention.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Nearly every voice actor gets asked "HOW DO I INTO VOICE ACTING" whenever they go to cons and it gets very tiring after a while.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
The strip was funny and I get the joke, but do kids these days really still want to become voice actors for anime productions?? You'd think you would have better odds to become an astronaut. My impression of a question like that is the person had nothing better to ask. (E.g. - Bandai Entertainment panels with the question: "are you going to license Gundam such-and-such?")
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
The strip was funny and I get the joke, but do kids these days really still want to become voice actors for anime productions?? You'd think you would have better odds to become an astronaut. My impression of a question like that is the person had nothing better to ask. (E.g. - Bandai Entertainment panels with the question: "are you going to license Gundam such-and-such?")

Yes, they do. Otherwise, "how do I become a VA" would be one of the most commonly asked questions at cons.

I personally would like to do VA'ing myself, because I'm not that good at physical acting but in voice acting, I'm pretty decent.
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:

Well, it's not about odds, it's about dreams~

Yeah, many still want to become voice actors, because they think that being one means they'll live by doing voices for their favorite anime, which, as anyone with minimal knowledge of how the industry works knows, it not true at all. Yet they still ask over and over...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Y'know I've never seen that before. I guess when it's a panel about VAs this is probably a question that repeats itself. Most of the panels I go to the people in charge of taking Q & A really try to get the audience to ask a question that is actually a challenge. When they do that they usually the hands that shot up go back down. Because chances are those questions may be similar.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Is it wrong that I want to laugh at the clueless chunky nerd at the end of the strip for wanting to pursue a pipe dream? XD
notstarman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

I thought the joke was about the fact the in panels the same question gets asked over and over. Rolling Eyes This happens at professional meetings as well. Its always good for a laugh.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
notstarman wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

I thought the joke was about the fact the in panels the same question gets asked over and over. Rolling Eyes This happens at professional meetings as well. Its always good for a laugh.

Yep, that was definitely the point, because I witnessed something like this myself. I forget which year, but at the Otakon Voice Actors panel, the V.A.'s began the panel by diving right into "how to become a voice actor," so that way it saves the audience from having to ask that question. Literally right afterwards, and I'm not kidding about this, the first person in the audience to ask a question asked, "What are the first steps for me to be a voice actor?" There was definite brief awkwardness with the guest actors, because everyone in the audience was muttering, "Didn't we just go over this?"

I understood this strip easily.
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
notstarman wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Yup.
What's realllly awkward is when someone asks a question, and the guest is reluctant to answer, doesn't know the answer to the question, or it's a request for a voice actor to do a phrase from the series. Then someone further back in line asks the SAME THING.
At one panel I went to at Anime Expo, the moderator finally got frustrated with this and told the guy "Dude, we already answered that."

I think a good way to avoid being 'that guy' is to come up with a few different questions before getting in line. That way, if your question gets asked, you have some backups. And in the event all your questions get asked by other people in line ahead of you, and you can't come up with anything else, I'd seriously consider getting out of line and letting others have their turn...
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of all the sad people who E-mail Answerman and ask him how they can break into the industry and be a VA in America or even an animator working on actual Anime in Japan.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

How I interpret the strip is that it plays into the notion that some fans think they are good enough that the long road to becoming a voice actor does not apply to them.

Same here. It's not about the same question being asked twice, if it was then the question would have been written the same way twice. The emphasis on the I implies that the guy was fully of himself and the answer before didn't apply to him.

I forget who said it, but my favorite answer to the "how can I get a job in the anime industry" question was "can you vacuum?"

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2