• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Extraneous Extremes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this E3 has somewhat renewed my faith in the video game industry. Only time will tell how truly magnificent these releases will be. I will add one new comment though, and say it's nice Peach is finally doing something other than getting kidnapped for a change.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
This E3 confirmed that next gen is not as great as we wanted. The jump from ps3 to ps4 isnt big. Id say the ps4 is just an enhanced ps3, but then again, thats what it should be right? Nothing really got my attention aside from Versus/15 and KH3. I am looking forward to those games, and I will buy a ps4 (thankfully its not 600$), but I dont see us getting KH 3 until at least 2015. I guess my 1st ps4 game will be Versus/15, whenever it releases.

Overall, not that impressed with the show, but at least the ps4 is affordable and Versus is alive--Thats good enough for me
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
yeah, I'm hesitant to give Sony anything other than a passing grade and even then that's debatable. If it hadn't been for MS being criticized so much then I doubt Sony would have been praised. We're SUPPOSED to not have to deal with DRM, it's not something we should consider a premium. Furthermore, they're also making online multiplayer available only to PS+ and their stance on DRM has actually gotten muddier anyway.

Nintendo at least got me interested with some great gameplay videos from Mario Kart and X as well as Smash Bros., Donkey Kong, and W101 (the latter also getting an exclusive Direct later in order to show it off)
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but I actually am excited over the Hatsune Miku game. And I don't think I've bought a game outside the iOS App Store in like four years.

The trick will be playing it on my kid's PS3. Yes, really.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Dam you didn't even mention the Beyond Two Souls preview. Thought the game looked really good. The problem with exclusive was that Sony is no rush to kick the PS3 to the curb unlike Microsoft, so they had more attention on PS3 exclusives.

Lets not kid ourselves Sony is and will always be the number one consoles for JRPGS. It has in the next year alone - Time and Eternity, Time Paradox, Disgaea 2 Dimensions, Witch and the 100 Knights, Dragons Crown, Final Fantasy 14, Final Fantasy X Compilation, Kingdom Hearts Compilation, Tales of Xillia, Tales of Symphonia Collection, I believe the new Atelier game was already announced for a US release, and Ragnarock Ace. And those are only the games I can remember off of the top of my head. Plus the PS3 gets the Miku game.
Those were only the exclusives of course it also get the crapty FF 13-3.

And regarding the plus for Sony. STFU, and stop whining. You have had to pay 60 bucks a year for xbox live since the days of the original xbox. On top of that, Plus offers really good discounts, and even has a handful of really good games that you get for free just for being a plus member.

Oh and lets not forget Microsoft is region locked and Sony isn't; so you know that import roundup column; you can actually play those games on Sony, but anything on xbox, and you have to buy a foreign system. Huzzah.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo's line-up has me so hyped, you have no idea! Microsony what?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Microsoft exclusives do little to encourage me. I mean, they're probably just gonna go multi-platform eventually. Unlike Sony, Microsoft doesn't actually own most of these studios so they have to rely on temporary licensing agreements. Odds are, anything notable will go the way of Mass Effect and Bioshock by the end of the generation.

Nintendo disappoints me as well (although I'd actually really rather not buy a Wii U so maybe that's the wrong word). I have virtually no use for new SSB or Mario Kart games. If I want to play either of those things (and I often do) I'll just bust out my Game Cube or N64 respectively. That's basically when those franchises peaked and sequels offer little of real significant difference to make them worth playing.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Dam you didn't even mention the Beyond Two Souls preview. Thought the game looked really good. The problem with exclusive was that Sony is no rush to kick the PS3 to the curb unlike Microsoft, so they had more attention on PS3 exclusives.

Lets not kid ourselves Sony is and will always be the number one consoles for JRPGS. It has in the next year alone - Time and Eternity, Time Paradox, Disgaea 2 Dimensions, Witch and the 100 Knights, Dragons Crown, Final Fantasy 14, Final Fantasy X Compilation, Kingdom Hearts Compilation, Tales of Xillia, Tales of Symphonia Collection, I believe the new Atelier game was already announced for a US release, and Ragnarock Ace. And those are only the games I can remember off of the top of my head. Plus the PS3 gets the Miku game.
Those were only the exclusives of course it also get the crapty FF 13-3.

And regarding the plus for Sony. STFU, and stop whining. You have had to pay 60 bucks a year for xbox live since the days of the original xbox. On top of that, Plus offers really good discounts, and even has a handful of really good games that you get for free just for being a plus member.

Oh and lets not forget Microsoft is region locked and Sony isn't; so you know that import roundup column; you can actually play those games on Sony, but anything on xbox, and you have to buy a foreign system. Huzzah.

i.e. Lower your standards because Sony obviously has
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
They have back-peddled on that "on hiatus" comment regarding The Last Guardian assuring everyone that it is still actively being developed.
terminus24

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Sony won E3 because Microsoft essentially committed suicide. Besides the fact that everyone at Microsoft seems to be a total ass (We have a system that doesn't require online, it's called the Xbox 360. Really?), PS4 is $100 cheaper, doesn't require an Internet connection, plays used games, is region free, and basically doesn't do all the crap that the Xbox One does. Sure, PS+ is required for online play now, but if you get all the savings you currently get with PS+ (free games, discounts, etc.), plus PS+ is connected to your PSN account, so you also get discounts on PS3 and Vita. Can't think of much bad stuff about PS4, plus I'm hyped for Infamous, FFXV, and KH3.

The Nintendo Direct was also good. Mario Kart 8 looks exciting, although I'm probably more excited for the return of bikes than anti-gravity. Smash 4 looks great on both consoles, and I'm definitely gonna be maining the Wii Fit trainer. X definitely looks pretty cool, although it doesn't look like a Xenoblade sequel, which I was kinda hoping for. And then there's Bayonetta 2, which was my main reason to be excited to get a Wii U before E3, and now that we've seen it, it looks absolutely awesome.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
terminus24 wrote:
We have a system that doesn't require online, it's called the Xbox 360. Really?

Yeah. I couldn't believe that. It's bad enough that they're trying to force this online requirement on people...but when people express their concerns they basically just condescendingly dismiss them and essentially tell those complaining "Don't buy it then". At this point they're just showing active contempt for their potential customers.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Seems to fall in line with their other customer service

Concerned Cutomer: I live in a rural area so my internet isn't very reliable or fast...
Adam Orth, Microsoft Executive: Then why would you live there?

If I was a skeptic, I would say Sony got their hands on a magic voodoo doll and is purposely making Microsoft look like the most incompetent company ever these past few months. Not even EA was this rude.
The Count

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Just log in to say I'm loving Bayonetta and her new hairstyle, really loving it. Very Happy

That aside this e3 let me know that for the next gen I'll be a PS3 and PC gamer. I loved the original Xbox and the 360 the first four or five years, but this marriage is officially over for me.

There have been many great game reveals this e3 and like others have said, its been awhile since I've been this excited about the gaming industry.

After ff12&13 I thought I was done with the Final Fantasty series but 15 look absolutely badass. And since everyone has wonder where versus 13 was all these years and now we know, can we get these same people to find out why we haven't received a single SMT game(particularly Persona) on any current consoles yet.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
It may seem kind of odd, but one of the things I'm looking foward to the most is the inevitable Ridge Racer for the PS4. RR as a launch title for Playstation products is a tradition now, and I love the series for its pumping tunes, perfectly-tuned arcade gameplay, and gorgeous locales.

I hope it isn't a disaster like the Vita one was though....*bristles*
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Every time someone says "console wars" and "won E3", a kitten and a puppy die a flaming, bloody death.

There were some things I liked.....FF15 looked action-packed & exciting, MGS5 looked to be what I wish MGS4 had been, & I'm excited to play just about everything Nintendo showed off with my family. BUT! I'm already hearing (it was ~probably~ Kotaku that had this posted) that FF15 will probably be split into at least two games.

I get that FF15 as been a long time in the oven & that it will still probably be a hefty game experience, but seriously, what happened to the lovely days of 3 or 4-disc JRPGs?

I've already checked out emotionally - I sold off most of my game collection, I don't really play anything beyond a Steam game I got on sale or Animal Crossing because my sister bought a copy.....I'm just not interested in shooting, micro-transactions, and 10-hour games that run you from a point a to point b while maximising a 4-year-old's ability to grab achievements.

I still enjoyed my time with Final Fantasy XIII-2, but I'm finding it harder and harder for me to care that a THIRD one of those is coming & that almost every other game released this coming year will involve gunning someone down.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4