• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Valvrave the Liberator episodes 1-6

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Mind-blowing twists and turns"

Aka as cheap plot twists

I was somewhat starting to enjoy the series early on but the last two episodes killed it for me and I won't be continuing.
gedata

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
Meh, this review went way to easy on this series. Shock factor and camp are all fine and good, but make me care about the characters darn it! Haruto is the blandest lead I've seen all year!

a C+ at best I guess, C or C- for the later episodes

Last edited by gedata on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I'm kinda surprised that the Story grade is above C+ and the art is low. Meh, Valvrave was enjoyable at first, but the more I go, the cheesier the plot becomes. Boring characters, slowpace, and every episode ends with a good guys VS bad guys in a space mecha fight and the bad guys get their butt kicked.

Mecha fight of the week huh?

While I'm still following it, I probably won't give it a high rate when it's finished.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I agree the story grade is too high given how nonsensical the plot is but I think the overall score is accurate. It's no masterpiece but in terms of pure entertaiment value it's a fun ride, and it makes for some great laughs if you try not to take it that seriously
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't give Valvrave a very high rating either, but I've definitely been quite entertained by the series thus far. It's obviously crazy and ridiculous, which seems to be exactly what the creators are going for. I'd slightly question calling the story "nonsensical" though, when it's really just highly unrealistic with a rather twisted direction. All things considered, the review scores fall within a reasonable margin of error and don't account for differences in perspective or personal taste, thus they don't seem out of place to me

I would have to say Haruto is the weakest link among the main cast, but he's not particularly bad as far as anime protagonists go. Just nothing special. There are a few other characters in the show who either happen to be more interesting or at least more enjoyable to watch than him. Development has been limited, yes, but I honestly haven't found myself feeling bored yet.

I don't have a problem with the typical episodic progression of most mecha shows, so complaining about the good guys overcoming the bad guys every week is practically a non-issue for me. I'll also give them credit for at least mixing up the specific situations a little bit, even within that same typical formula.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

I was somewhat starting to enjoy the series early on but the last two episodes killed it for me and I won't be continuing.

I also happen to disagree with you about the last part, but it's a good thing that none of the recent episodes are covered by this review, so I won't try to open this can of worms prematurely.
Sasukeuzi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Quote:
"Mind-blowing twists and turns"

i kno that feel bro Anime cry
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Valvrave is a lovable train wreck of a show. You know it's terrible, but it's so ridiculous that you can't help but watch to see what happens next. One minute they're doing silly music videos, the next minute spoiler[The main character's proposing to the girl he raped while being controlled by an evil computer loli moments after killing his ex-girlfriend's father]. You just can't make this stuff up.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:00 pm; edited 5 times in total
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
The show is a lovable train wreck of a show.

You're implying this is a trainwreck.
I love when people use words in the completely wrong context.

Valvrave is not a trainwreck. It, being a trainwreck, would imply it was ever on the rails to begin with. It's not like Code Geass R2 where everything went pure crazy in it, compared to the smooth first season.

Valvrave was clearly insane to begin with.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I agree wholeheartedly with this review. It's not the best thing this season, but by god do I love it.

It's ridiculous, completely over the top and also highly entertaining. There are light-hearted episodes which are silly as hell ("Lets make a music video to inspire the suppressed masses!") and then there are the episodes with plot twists that are so incredibly dramatic that it makes you wonder what sick mind even came up with it to begin with. It's impossible to tell where the story is going to go next and I look forward to watching a new episode every week.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I still watch this for the amusement and the twists are funny at certain periods especially in the latest episodes. This also kinda reminds me of GSD's second half but then again, I'm not surprised considering Sunrise is involved in this.

Great music/OST though imo.

Boku Ji Nai, Boku Ji Nai, Boku Ji Nai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Hey Theron, just wait till you get to episode ten (if you haven't already). One of the more controversial and Holy-Crap-Did-They-Just-Go-There episodes in recent memory. I can honestly say that I wasn't expecting that to happen, and you'll know precisely what I mean when you see it.

----------

Anyway, Valvrave The Liberator is a lot of fun but also completely moronic. Suspension of disbelief definitely needs to be set to the 'off' position, and even then it's still stupid.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
This show was dropped harder than I've dropped anything in history.
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
At first I thought the writers wasted a perfectly good plot but this show is kind of addicting. I mean I love talking and joking with friends about the space vampires, Senator Moses, ERUERUFUGH, etc. The similarities with Code Geass are obvious with the ridiculous twists and just like it it falls in the category of "so bad it's good." If I enjoyed G Gundam despite how dumb it was then why not this series too? Valvrave is very enjoyable and the characters are fun. L-Elf needs some development though. He is basically a walking plot device. The mechas fight are very enjoyable too.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote
this show is like drug. bad for you, but it's addicting. there is nothing i can't do but keep watching it.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
The infamous episode 10 almost made me drop this series. But I need to see where this ridiculous goes. I'm expecting batshit crazy stuff in the last episodes of the 1st seasons a la Code Geass.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11