• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Update: Hellsing Q&A Postponed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow Hellsing Ultimate was that packed? If was sub I am guessing right, but that would be cool if the dub was already finished for the first volume.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
screening attracted a capacity crowd of several hundred attendees.

doesn't surprize me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Quote:
screening attracted a capacity crowd of several hundred attendees.

doesn't surprize me.

Not anymore, I realize that it said that exclusive material from vol 2 was being show. Hell Vol 2 isn't even out yet in JAPAN! Geneon pulling out all the tricks for this series, I certainly can't wait to see vol 2 and more importantly I can't wait for first (US) release in December.

Remember to buy this series everyone! If you really want your favorite series to continue on, support this show let your voice be heard.
Falcon5768

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Yes it was that packed, but what didn't help was the idiots in charge going against Otakon policy and letting people from the previous Full Metal Alch showing to stay in the theater despite it being well known and practiced you must remove everyone from the theater of a show previous to one that has a long line waiting.

In the end a near riot ensued when they said they where letting people (which amounted to 3/4th the entire theater) stay and everyone who had been waiting in line for 2 hours started throwing objects and chanting to the staff "not-so-nice-people" and bringing management up to complain forcing them to cover their asses and get a second showing. If they HAD cleared the theater everyone would have fit in for the first.
[/quote]
spacetooner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:31 am Reply with quote
Wow. Another Hellsing. That is the most wonderful news that I heard in while.
rkenshin21

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Wow Hellsing Ultimate was that packed? If was sub I am guessing right, but that would be cool if the dub was already finished for the first volume.

It was the dub. Oh yes it was the dub. I was one of the first in line. What sucked is when they made the announcement that they'd let the others from the previous FMA stay in the line almost turned into anarcy. It was close to a riot.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Here's my story. It started way before the near riot at the showing.

I went to the Hellsing fan panel the night before. The people there said they had a photoshoot at 12:30pm the next day and after that they would line up for the posted Hirano autograph session starting at 3pm. So we got in line a little before 1pm for the 3pm autograph session. We were told we were early and to lean against the wall. The previous autograph session seemed to be going on. Meanwhile a Japanese drum demo went on in front of us on the dance floor. They eventually lined us up. They gave the first 50 people tickets. No one else noticed this. There were by now at least a hundred people in line and growing. They had us all in a line based on the tape on the floor. About 3pm or a bit ealier they announced he was doing sketches and likley only the first 50 who got tickets would get in. Of course, the American emo rock music blaring from the dance floor area made most of this hard to hear. Eventually someone had to run and stop it, but that was just about at the final announcement. At a little after 4pm, we were told no one else was getting in to see him. So all of us were given Japanese postcards of Hellsing as compensation. Whoo. We were told we could go to Hirano's panel afterwards. This is to hundreds of people waiting hours in the marked autograph line. Now I wanted to go there afterward anyway, but it still wasn't something to announce as some compensation. No real sincere apology either.

Nice little bait and switch scam, Otakon. Promise an autograph session, let a couple hundred or more line up, then tell them only 50 people are getting sketches.

Now if the author requested that, fine. Yet there was a total failure to communicate this to all the people who showed up. It was advertised as a damn autograph session and that was not what was given. Bait and switch.

Then we were lead up there by a staffer, holding our places in line. A line had already formed and we had to line up behind them. There was no tape on the ground marking a line into the room. Then the incompetant people dealing with this put down tape around us. Then someone told us to push toward the door and fill in this new square of tape. This irradicated any line. We then funneled into the room.

Now the panel was awesome as short as it was. Hirano was amazing for the little I got to see him. Also the fans were mostly awesome, whether here, at the photoshoot, in line and at the fan panel. If it wasn't for that spirit, it would have been unbearable for me.

Anyway, we were told to come to the Generon panel later and after that we should stop by for the US Hellsing premeire. It would be in English.

So I went to the panel, as I was told at the Hirano panel, but it was mainly about their other stuff. Hirano wasn't there. I was mildly interested in some stuff, but I decided to leave early and get in line. It was aleady forming beyond any taped off area. They had to loop it around the thearter room. Oh and some people were showing up then for the just ending FMA movie as the regular schedule printed them in reverse, but there was a corrections sheet showing the error.

Then the crap hit the fan. Many people in for the FMA movie did not want to leave. I do not belive they were told they had to. I am not sure of that though. I wanted to go myself, but worried about missing Hellsing if they did such a thing. Plus I needed a break to help my friends with their booth in artists alley.

We couldn't hear announcements. It became a game of telephone. We were told people were not leaving the room and they did not know how to get us in. People were furious. It was getting a bit edgy. Eventually the showing was split in two. They would fill the thearter to max capacity. Then anyone else could wait 50 minutes for the next showing. Luckily I got in, yet it had already started.

Scheduling two major movie premeires back to back on the same night. Otakon is getting ridiculous. They have too many events, poor planning, and poor management and crowd control. Nevermid just too many people for even that large of an event .
Falcon5768

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

Scheduling two major movie premeires back to back on the same night. Otakon is getting ridiculous. They have too many events, poor planning, and poor management and crowd control. Nevermid just too many people for even that large of an event .

The best part is, the Full Metal movie wasnt the premeire. THAT had happened unschedualed the previous day and Saturday was supposed to be the XXX-holic showing that was SUPPOSED to happen on Friday which was trashed all together for a second showing of Full Metal Alch.

But the fact was ts beyond obvious from all involved the Otakon management completely dropped the ball this year and trained no one like they had in the past. Staff where forced to make things up on the fly and in the end, a lot failed to follow rules that Otakon had set out in the past (like forcably removing anyone who stayed in a theater before a major showing. in the past that was grounds for removal from the con)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1