• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Story of the Class

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it sure is looking like Fujoshi Fantasy XV at this point. I'm losing lots of interest in what used to be my favorite series in gaming...
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Who's not pictured? Women. Previews of the game show heroine Stella Nox Fleuret and an unnamed woman, but nothing suggests they'll be playable. If the above five represent all of the game's party members, it's a strange turn for the series. Final Fantasy XII and XIII had equal numbers of men and women in the lead roles, and just about every Final Fantasy since 1991 features at least three female characters. Final Fantasy IX had four, if you count Quina.

Hopefully the upcoming TGS will clear up what kind of roles those females will play especially Stella who's supposedly as important as the main MC. Maybe there will be a few more female characters that has yet to appear and be playable?

Quote:
Perhaps the all-male party stems from Final Fantasy XV's origins as a spin-off. It didn't play by the usual Final Fantasy rules. Or perhaps this is just what fans of the series want.

Does anyone find the latter backwards? The Final Fantasy series is pretty much the one JRPG game with AAA status that actually gave some consistent notice towards playable female characters compared to most other AAA games. This having just playable male characters feels like its conforming to those games that are already filled with main male characters.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:43 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Yeah, it sure is looking like Fujoshi Fantasy XV at this point. I'm losing lots of interest in what used to be my favorite series in gaming...

I could always deal with the fact they were aiming for a primarily female demographic from FF8 on, but then when it was painfully obvious they stopped caring and FF13 happened, I called it a day, much better JRPG series to play then sit around and wait for Square-Enix to stop daydreaming that they are still relevant.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Does anyone find the latter backwards? The Final Fantasy series is pretty much the one JRPG game with AAA status that actually gave some consistent notice towards playable female characters compared to most other AAA games. This having just playable male characters feels like its conforming to those games that are already filled with main male characters.

Maybe we're going back to that atrocious age where women were treated as only damsels to be saved again. Egads, I certainly hope not. D:

...Although, I find it very hard to believe we'd go back to a puerile time when video games were treated purely as a "guy's hobby" and every hero was always male (well other than Samus Aran surprising the hell out of everyone when she took her helmet off).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Maybe we're going back to that atrocious age where women were treated as only damsels to be saved again. Egads, I certainly hope not. D:

Nah, prefer treated as only fanservice to be conquered again. Smile

belvadeer wrote:

...Although, I find it very hard to believe we'd go back to a puerile time when video games were treated purely as a "guy's hobby" and every hero was always male (well other than Samus Aran surprising the hell out of everyone when she took her helmet off).

Well, in Japan, it mainly still is. Harder to find female J-gamers (otome VNs are less game and more literature).
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer] wrote:

And so it begins. What I find amusing is the different mindset people can apply to FFXV. The usual western feminist brigade will cite it as keeping women oppressed, under-represented, sexist, and all that usual stuff, but in Japan and among anime us fans we can point out clear as day this is pandering to females because of the design and lack of females, which fujoshi tend to not like in their stuff since it gets in the way of the BL. It's like citing Hetalia as a sexist series because of the very few females in it. People are missing the forest for the trees in either case.
Enner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Kokuga is priced at $14.99
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/lT5-4kp7fCk6-BlCPJQWhUJvDLXj5U4N

A bit pricier than I was expecting. I'll wait for reviews/impressions to determine what you get for that much cash.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
that is the thing, even Nomura at his best can't really do anything beyond archetypal when it comes to characters. And he does really lack in the main females department
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Titan, I didn't post that. You quoted the wrong guy.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Even if people in the US cared about visual novels, which they don't, censoring material is a guaranteed way to get your audience to not buy your product.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
The usual western feminist brigade will cite it as keeping women oppressed, under-represented, sexist, and all that usual stuff, but in Japan and among anime us fans we can point out clear as day this is pandering to females because of the design and lack of females, which fujoshi tend to not like in their stuff since it gets in the way of the BL.

Of course, when a game like XIII (or especially its sequels) loads up on prominent female characters (with sexy dress-up) you're more than happy to champion it as being progressive and applaud it for representing female characters. Even though it's just doing the opposite of what you're describing here and pandering to males. Essentially, no matter what happens, you're able to pass it off as Japan doing it right.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy with FFXV as of now. Lack of female characters is disheartening...but make the boys hot enough and I won't care.

Also I vastly prefer real-time gameplay to turn-based unless it's turn-based strategy. Now, if someone would make a Hack'n'Slash RPG...

*Imagines a full-on RPG with the gameplay of Metal Gear Rising*

Oh my god. The boss battles would be CAH-RAYZEE. Eff that turn-based shit.
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Eh, effeminate men in Final Fantasy isn't anything new.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Even if people in the US cared about visual novels, which they don't, censoring material is a guaranteed way to get your audience to not buy your product.

Especially when you go as far as censoring kisses in a romance story.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Despite all the praise Vic Ireland heaped onto Class of Heroes 2 over the past year, I'm able to get into it about as well as I could get into the first game. In other words, not really much at all. The game certainly looks better than its predecessor (no more black dungeons!) and there are some minor improvements to certain aspects of the gameplay, but it's largely as generic and uninteresting as the first game was, except now we have an annoying Working Designs-style localization to accompany it.

Ultimately, it just makes me wish they had either gone with one of the later games in the series, which at least look marginally better, or gone with another game franchise entirely. It was always a really bizarre choice anyway, considering the general consensus on the original game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5