• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2006 7th Comic Exhibition @ Taipei, Taiwan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Time flies by. A year has passed since the 2005 6th Comic Exhibition @ Taipei, Taiwan.

This year, the biggest annual event of comics in Taiwan: the 7th Comic Exhibition will be held for six days between August 10 to 15 at Taipei Show (formerly Hall 2 of Taipei World Trade Center; besides New York, New York). Following the craze of the 6th Comic Exhibition, coordinator Chinese Comic Publishers Association, along with eight leading domestic publishers, will gather comics, animation, and figures and accessories together, as well as inviting 20+ manga-ka, seiyuu, and domestic artists. The Association has also designed a series of interactive activities to satisfy fans’ needs.

How many cooking manga do you know? “Tasty manga and anime”

In addition to highly popular Shota no Sushi and Chuuka Ichiban! how many cooking-themed manga are out there? To promote the popularity and educational value of manga, each Comic Exhibition features a different theme. Following themes like “sports” and “technology,” the Exhibition this year will feature “tasty manga and anime” as the main theme, with representative titles like Yakitate!! Japan, Kirara no Shigoto, Sweet Ichigo Chocolat, Osen, and many others.

Three interactive activities will be held at Comic Exhibition: “manga champion,” “manga karaoke,” and “scriptwriting guru.”
  • The top 50-scoring attendees of 100 entry-level questions (online) can enter the final with 100 more advanced questions. The champion will be awarded with an exclusive scroll with autographs of ALL guests.
  • Combining cosplaying and ani-song karaoke, “manga karaoke” will award a champion, a best cosplayer, and the most popular singer with gift certificates provided by Books.com.tw.
  • Anyone can become a scriptwriting guru. Simply fill the best dialog for a four-panel comic. Works of ten finalists will be displayed at the Comic Exhibition and the winner will be voted by tens of thousands of visitors.

Official website of the 7th Comic Exhibition (in Traditional Chinese): http://www.ccpa.org.tw/comic/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:01 pm Reply with quote
With the exception of the first paragraph, all other texts were translated and adapted (I removed the overhyped tone -- those were probably written by a marketer rather than a PR person) from the official press release.

The guest list is almost ready, with some discrepancies on schedules. I'll post them once it has been confirmed.

EDIT: Current confirmed schedule. Will keep those "TBA" updated as frequent as possible.

Text version will follow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:31 am Reply with quote
Japanese Guest of Honor List, with links:

Tongli Publishing Co.
Nousatsu Junkie by Ryoko Fukuyama
Kunimitsu no Matsuri by Masashi Asaki

Sharp Point Publishing Co., Ltd.
Nabari no Ou by Yuhki Kamatani
Love-Berrish! by Nana Haruta

Ever Glory Publishing Co., Ltd.
Zig·Zag by Yuki Nakaji
Kitchen Princess by Natsumi Ando

Kadokawa Media (Taiwan) Co., Ltd.
Junjo Romantica by Shungiku Nakamura
Emma by Kaoru Mori

Ching Win Publishing Co., Ltd.
Zatch Bell! by Makoto Raiku
Ii Denshi by Takayuki Mizushina

Top-Insight International Co., Ltd.
Junichi Suwabe as Keigo Atobe in The Prince of Tennis
Kenjiro Tsuda as Sadaharu Inui in The Prince of Tennis
Rica Matsumoto as Satoshi in Pokemon

Taiwan Tohan Co., Ltd.
Double Call by Reiichi Hiiro

Individual introductions (if applicable) will soon follow.

Suggestions for questions to be asked at press conferences / interviews are welcome.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
Almost two weeks have passed and not a single question? Geez, this makes me wonder whether it's worthy to continue doing this or not. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, here we go, starting from the press conference last Thursday (too busy and fatigued during the weekend...)

====

In order to promote the coming 7th Comic Exhibition @ Taipei, eight largest publishers / licensors of Chinese Comic Publishers Association (CCPA) hold a joint pre-exhibition press conference. As previously reported, the central theme this year is “tasty manga and anime,” and all licensors have emphasized their food-related titles, as well as many highly popular ones.

Similar to the pre-exhibition press conference last year, CCPA invited prominent political figures, namely (from left to right): Sean LIEN Sheng-Wen, son of LIEN Chan, former vice president and honorary chairman of KMT; HAU Long-Bin, former EPA director and current candidate of next Taipei mayor, as well as son of former joint chief of staff and later premier Hau Bo-Tsun; CCPA chairman Mr. Huang; congressman CHENG Yun-Peng, who was invited last year as well.

Promotions of individual publisher / licensor are listed below (in alphabetical order):

Ching Win Publishing Co., Ltd.

Autograph Session: Makoto Raiku, author of Gash (Zatch) Bell

The author of ultra-popular manga Gash Bell will bring Gash, Kiyomaro, Folgore and Kyanchome to Taiwan on Aug. 12 and give an autograph session. There will be a special premiere of Gash Bell movie: 101 Banme no Mamono (licensed by Muse).

Autograph Session: Takayuki Mizushina, author of Ii Denshi

The author of Ii Denshi (a hilarious four-panel manga serializing in Famitsu, the biggest Japanese console game magazine), will “meet the fans” and give an autograph session. In addition to drawing manga, Mizushina-sensei has visited E3 and Tokyo Game Show, as well as being an actor of stage drama. Ii Denshi has been serialized for over 330 chapters. Its comedic and introductory nature has attracted many non-gamers to Famitsu.

Gundam Plamo Classroom by Katsumi Kawaguchi

Katsumi Kawaguchi, the legendary #1 Gundam maker and manager of Bandai Character Toy Division, will give a lecture at Gundam Plamo Classroom. The grand prize of Gundam plamo competition will be ¥300,000.

In addition to special guests, Ching Win also releases Sweet Ichigo Chocolat and Antique Bakery to correlate the central theme of this year’s Comic Exhibition, as well as its evergreen titles: Doraremon and Detective Conan (Case Closed).

dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:32 am Reply with quote
Ever Glory Publishing Co., Ltd.

Limited two hundred “lucky bags” (also act as certificates of autograph session) for each Japanese guest, Natsumi Ando and Yuki Nakaji.

Natsumi Ando, author of Kitchen no Ohime-sama a.k.a. Kitchen Princess
· Born on Jan. 27, Aquarius, blood type B.
· Hometown: Aichi, Japan
· Debut in 1994
· Most favorite food: mango, maccha, meat.
· Least favorite food: crab, vinegar-marinated food
· Hobby: collecting Disney merchandise (Donald Duck only), Adobe Photoshop.
· Best thing being a manga-ka: can live with drawing without commuting.
· Worst thing being a manga-ka: shoulder ache and deadlines.

Yuki Nakaji, author of Zig·Zag
· Born on Sep. 11, Virgo, blood type: AB
· Most favorite food: shrimp, in every way cooked! Also loves fruits like strawberry and cherry.
· Least favorite food: fatty, oily meat.
· Hobby: making different combinations of my clothing.
· Best thing being a manga-ka: job is also my hobby; responses from readers.
· Worst thing being a manga-ka: the job requires a lot of concentration, and I’m lazy.

Aside of Kitchen Princess, the other “tasty manga” from Ever Glory is Kirara no Shigoto, which has been adapted into a live-action TV special. Other popular titles include Candy magazine (licensed ShoComi), Saiyuki Reload, Rozen Maiden, and Penguin Revolution.

dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:36 am Reply with quote
Kadokawa Media (Taiwan) Co., Ltd.

Although the booklist provided by Kadokawa contains nothing “tasty” literally, it is quite tasty figuratively.

Autograph Sessions: Shungiku Nakamura and Kaoru Mori

Shungiku Nakamura, author of Junjo Romantica and Kaoru Mori, author of Emma, will give autographs to 150 and 40 lucky fans, respectively. The reason with such a few number of Emma fans is that, instead of using pre-made autograph boards with drawings, Mori-sensei will draw different characters on each blank board ON THE FLY, making each and every board unique. Unfortunately, both sensei are very shy and will not accept photography or interview.

New releases:

Manga:
· Junjo Romantica vol. 6 by Shungiku Nakamura
· Emma vol. 6 by Kaoru Mori
· Neon Genesis Evangelion vol. 10 by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto
· Yotsuba&! Vol. 5 by Kiyohiko Azuma

Light novels:
· Junai Romantica vol. 3 by Miyako Fujisaki (illustrated by Shungiku Nakamura)
· Emma vol. 1 by Saori Kumi (illustrated by Kaoru Mori)
· Kore ga Ma no tsuku Daiippo (series vol. 11) by Tomo Takabayashi (illustrated by Temari Matsumoto)

Art book:
· Guren by Noizi Ito

Other Shana-related merchandise includes a clear poster, a cloth wall scroll, magnetic calendar, and blank CD-R.

dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
Muse

The entire booth of Muse will be decorated as a Pantasia bakery of Yakitate!! Japan, and four costumes made of edible breads will be worn by models, as well as an auction for an authentic Pantasia uniform. Furthermore, Makoto Raiku, original creator of Gash (Zatch) Bell, will attend the special premiere of Konjiki no Gash Bell: 101 Banme no Mamono in person.

dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
Taiwan Tohan Co., Ltd.

Autograph session: Reiichi Hiiro

Reiichi Hiiro, a copious manga-ka of BL/yaoi manga, will give an autograph session for her fans of Double Call, a yaoi manga with a Major League Baseball background setting (namely, Baltimore Orioles and New York Mets).

Other popular titles include ani-manga of Hayao Miyazaki’s movies -- buyers will have the chance to get a volume of Shuppatsuten (Starting Point) signed by Hayao Miyazaki himself; highly praised Mushishi (by Yuki Urushibara); last but not least, Osen by Shota Kikuchi.

dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quote
Tongli Publishing Co.

As the largest manga licensor / publisher in Taiwan, Tongli Publishing offers many titles related to different types of cuisine, including (but not limited to) Yakitate!! Japan, Shota no Sushi, Chuuka Ichiban!, and many others. For popular titles, the final (12) volume of Death Note will be released at the Exhibition.

Autograph sessions: Ryoko Fukuyama and Masashi Asaki

Ryoko Fukuyama, author of Nousatsu Junkie, will hold an autograph session for 200 lucky fans. The story is about a schoolgirl named Naka Kaburagi who tries to be a model very hard, yet her cold, unsmiling face never wins her any opportunity. She was about to give up after her 19th failed audition, before she witnessed a shocking secret of UMI (Umi Kajiwara), a successful student model. To silent her mouth, UMI used connections to bring Naka into the business, and chemistry started brewing between the two.

Kunimitsu no Matsuri by Masashi Asaki is all about politics, a common subject of seinen manga but very rare in shounen manga. Hot-blooded high school dropout Kunimitsu Mutou can’t stand the corrupt Japanese politics anymore, so he starts changing it with his own way – as a secretary of a mayor election candidate, AND a high school dropout. Asaki-sensei will draw characters on 70 blank autograph boards on the fly.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:03 am Reply with quote
Top-Insight International Co., Ltd.

To celebrate its 15th anniversary, Top-Insight International will release four highly anticipated titles at the Exhibition: NANA, Dream of Janggeum (“Shoujo Changumu no Yume” in Japanese), Mushishi, and Fushigi Boshi no Futagohime. To increase the exclusiveness, there will be only 77 discs of NANA SP DVD per day; only those who purchase the special DVD can enter the famous “Room 707,” replicated at the scene.

Top-Insight International has also invited three seiyuu of their most popular titles: Junichi Suwabe (as Keigo Atobe) and Kenjiro Tsuda (as Sadaharu Inui) of The Prince of Tennis, plus Rica Matsumoto (as Satoshi) of Pokemon.

dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:06 am Reply with quote
For some strange reason I skipped SPP accidentally...

Sharp Point Publishing Co., Ltd.

Autograph sessions: Nana Haruta and Yuhki Kamatani

Nana Haruta, one of the youngest commercial manga-ka ever and the current mainstay of Ribon, will hold an autograph session for fans of her newest work, Love-Berrish! Born on June 30th, 1985, Haruta-sensei became the youngest commercial manga-ka in year 2000 at the age of 15. While “high schooler manga-ka” is a nice title, she had to worry about deadlines while her classmates could enjoy high school campus lives. Ribon started to put her work on the emphasis list during the serialization of Itoshi no Goshujin-sama, and her popularity reached a new height with Saboten no Himitsu, with two covers in a year.

Yuhki Kamatani, author of Nabari no Ou, will also give an autograph session at the Exhibition. A story about a middle schooler who is cold to his surroundings yet possesses the most powerful ninja secret, Nabari no Ou has received recommendation from Japan Agency for Cultural Affairs. In addition to Nabari no Ou, SPP will release Liberamente, a collection of short stories by Kamatani-sensei, at the Exhibition.

A new magazine: Sirius, with emphasis on shounen fantasy, will be released at the Exhibition, as well as 3,000 limited edition of NANA art book. Moreover, there will be a special event for fans of REAL (by Takehiko Inoue) to compare the quality of the new version licensed by SPP to the old version licensed by now-defunct Daran Publishing. SPP also has the very first magazine dedicated to cosplaying in Chinese: COSmania.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry to say that I didn't even notice this thread until now... I honestly never look in the events forum.

So... I'm pretty sure you're not going to be interviewing all of the GoHs, which ones do you plan to interview?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:58 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
So... I'm pretty sure you're not going to be interviewing all of the GoHs, which ones do you plan to interview?

A big problem this year is conflicting schedule, which means I might have to shorten or even sacrifice some interviews. I'll try to persuade licensors to shift the starting or ending time slightly so I could dash between them. Rolling Eyes

No conflict:
Takayuki Mizushina
Reiichi Hiiro
Makoto Raiku
Nana Haruta

Conflicting:
Ryoko Fukuyama VS. Natsumi Ando
Masashi Asaki VS. Yuhki Kamatani VS. (Junichi Suwabe + Kenjiro Tsuda)
Rica Matsumoto VS. Yuki Nakaji

No interview:
Shungiku Nakamura
Kaoru Mori
Katsumi Kawaguchi (will give a lecture instead)
shi-neko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
Very Happy i'll be there (starting tomorrow!)! unfortunately i'm terribly unproficient in Chinese (just moved from the US), so could i ask you if one needs to pay any registration fees or such? and what time does it start and end and etc? x__x i can't decipher their site. >.>

and also - it says "formerly" at Hall 2 (as in the one right next to Warner Village, i think)? o__o is it not there anymore, or did it change names to Taipei Show? (and if it's not located there, then where exactly is Taipei Show? >.>) thanks a lot!
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:44 am Reply with quote
shi-neko wrote:
Very Happy i'll be there (starting tomorrow!)! unfortunately i'm terribly unproficient in Chinese (just moved from the US)

It's great to see a foreigner (from Taiwan's perspective) to participate such an event. Maybe we could meet there. I've left my contact information in a PM to you.

shi-neko wrote:
so could i ask you if one needs to pay any registration fees or such? and what time does it start and end and etc? x__x i can't decipher their site. >.>

The ticket is NT$100 (~US$3) per day. Unfortunately there's no six-day pass. You can only buy tickets in person (expect long queue) right now because the deadline of pre-ordering tickets online was August 8th (yesterday).

Date: as stated in the thread opener, August 10-15
Time: 10:00-18:00

shi-neko wrote:
and also - it says "formerly" at Hall 2 (as in the one right next to Warner Village, i think)? o__o is it not there anymore, or did it change names to Taipei Show? (and if it's not located there, then where exactly is Taipei Show? >.>) thanks a lot!

It was once the Hall #2 of Taipei World Trade Center. It is now an independent exhibition hall named Taipei Show. And yes, next to Warner Village. You won't miss it -- just follow the line and ask around. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2