• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Go Speed Racer: Waiting for Green Light

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenparker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Can I just say that I am horrified that the Wachowskis are still working in Hollywood?

I wouldn't touch a Speed Racer movie from them with a fifty foot pole if you paid me.
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it'll be that bad. Vince Vaughn might make a good Racer X. But if they get Keanu "I can't act myself out of a terrorist attack" Reeves to play Speed, then it'll suck!
lillink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm somewhat horrified. Will Speed Racer now fly in the air and stop bullets by saying Geiko promotions or something? The only good movie the Wachowski brothers made was the original Matrix, that's it. The other 2 Matrix movies were O.K. and most recently, V for Vendetta sucked, bigtime, since it had no story or plot. Well, at least Speed Racer is getting some attention again, yet another generation will know who Speed Racer is at least.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Bound is far better than any of the Matrix films.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
lillink wrote:
yet another generation will know who Speed Racer is at least.

But will they come away loving him or hating him?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jenparker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:18 pm Reply with quote
lillink wrote:
The only good movie the Wachowski brothers made was the original Matrix, that's it.

Er, yeah, except for the part where the Wachowski brothers stole the script for the original Matrix anyway. ;p
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:26 pm Reply with quote
They should get Nick Gibbons to direct. Cool
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Don't use any American cars for the "Mach 5." Kit car, *** Yeah! Actual Production Model? **** No!!.
silentjay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:53 am Reply with quote
jenparker wrote:
Er, yeah, except for the part where the Wachowski brothers stole the script for the original Matrix anyway. ;p

Yeah, it's just like how J.K. Rowling stole the idea for Harry Potter from that woman. Rolling Eyes
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
jenparker wrote:

Yeah, it's just like how J.K. Rowling stole the idea for Harry Potter from that woman. Rolling Eyes

Or the FCC stole the image of Doeramon.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:16 am Reply with quote
In any event, this is likely to just be another dazed and confused tribute/parody that doesn't know what it's talking about. It might even condescendingly include elements from the original Japanese version. For instance, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a scene where "Speed Racer" (who drives the "Mach 5") meets "Go Mifune" (who drives the "Mach"*), or any other "English version" characters meeting "Japanese version" characters (Trixie/Michi, Sparky/Sabu, Rex Racer-Racer X/Ken'ichi Mifune-Kamen Racer, etc). Also, in the worst case scenario, it might not even be about "Speed Racer" at all; it might just be a facade for what really might be a tribute/parody of "anime", and anything, and everything relating to it...as perceived by the mainstream public.

Trust me. Chances are, this will be worse than you all think.

All of the above is just my opinion of course, but could very well be the most likely scenario.

*In the Japanese version, the car is called the "Mach Go". Now, "go" in this case does NOT mean 5. It's a word attached to the names of ships and other specialty vehicles and such. For this reason, the "go" isn't always included when translating to English, so the car could be called simply the "Mach" in the Japanese version.
Sunnyd83

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:27 am Reply with quote
I love Dazed and Confused! I don't think the movie will be that bad. It might be a little cheesy in some parts if they choose to downplay what anime is really about in order to appeal to the people who don't watch anime on a regular basis, but hey that's Hollywood for you. They do whatever it takes to make the buck, in most cases.
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:06 am Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
In any event, this is likely to just be another dazed and confused tribute/parody that doesn't know what it's talking about.
Why is this likely going to be another parody of Speed Racer just because it's live-action? And why would the American characters meet up with their Japanese counterparts in it when most Americans know nothing at all about the Japanese version? You have abosuletly nothing at all to back up any of your suspicisions other than your own anxiety. You don't even know if this is actually going to end up being produced yet or not, so until more is revealed about it, chill out already. I actually think this could turn out to be a very good idea. I mean, come on, it's Speed Racer. The show was already cheesy enough as it is, so I don't think they could screw it up too badly.

This could probably end up being a hell of a lot more feasible than say, live-action Evangelion or live-action Sailor Moon and Speed Racer was a pretty popular show back in its heyday. I think a live-action Speed Racer could have a lot more appeal to mainstream American audiences than oh say, Battle Angel Alita. Plus, the plot isn't highly complex, so they wouldn't have to worry so much about how to condense the storyline down into a two hour film. And who knows, maybe if this turns out to be a success, it could end up inspiring live-action adaptions of other classic anime shows like Battle Of The Planets, Voltron, Robotech, etc. At any rate, I hope this would at least inspire them to release all of Speed Racer in DVD boxsets. But until its been confirmed to be produced, I'm still not holding my breath on it or worrying about how they can screw up the original series because there's no point in doing so. Most likely this will wind up being another one of those proposed live-action adaptions of a popular anime that never become realized and everyone will just forget about it a few years down the road, but Speed Racer definetly has more chances of a live-action adaption than DBZ.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
heidigirl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:11 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
I don't think it'll be that bad. Vince Vaughn might make a good Racer X. But if they get Keanu "I can't act myself out of a terrorist attack" Reeves to play Speed, then it'll suck!

I am definitely excited no matter what, but I agree, it will depend who they pick as actors. Vince would be awesome!

I can't wait either way. Very Happy
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Speed is not going to be Keanu... Keanu's about a quarter-century too old.

They aren't going to cast him. They know other actors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2