• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2013 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
so it begins, let us declare 2013 to be a great season for anime!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key Lime Pie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Haven't started anything yet but you'll get some opinions from me come first episodes watched.

Though, it's kind of early for me to judge right?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
So far I've only caught Brothers Conflict. Kamiya is adorable as Juli but yeah... the premise of the story hasn't really got me all that interested. Actually, it's kind of disturbing. ^^; So far the only normal one of the bunch seems to be OnoD's character. I haven't gotten around to remembering their names yet...

This season I'm probably most excited about Gin no Saji. Really looking forward to the second season of Hakkenden as well and will be checking out Free! and Blood Lad among other series.
Durga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Gifu Dodo was one of the most dull things I've seen all year. Carlos hits the nail on the head when he says it has nothing interesting to say. Plus I can't help but think the thing looks so ugly. Animation is sparse and the FotNS style looks out of place. Pass.

Free! on the other hand is super entertaining. Obviously the biggest fanbase for it will be the fujoshi and gay male fans such as myself, but I'd recommend it to those who aren't into dudes because it's so campy and entertaining.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Since Funi has Brothers Conflict, we won't be able to do that one until they get around to finally streaming it. (And since they've made no announcement about when that will be, who knows how soon that will happen. Rolling Eyes )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow guys, those scores for Free and InuHasa. I just...wow.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
InuHasa was pretty bad. This and another bit involving the cage a little later were the only parts that amused in the slightest. I usually only stop watching mid-episode for shows late in the season, often that I watched a whim and figured I'd not like anyway, but I just couldn't finish InuHasa.

KamiNai was mediocrity incarnate. I'm not a big fan of using a narrator to do world set up stuff, but it would have been preferable to what the show tried to do. And its use of "in media res" is frankly baffling, serving no purpose except to ruin what should have been a surprise. In general though, it didn't do a good job of getting me invested and caring anyway. Will not watch more unless I hear of drastic improvement.

Free was pretty good. I expected it to be a well put together show, but didn't expect to like it much myself. Not my thing, and all that. Surprisingly, I actually want to see episode 2.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Wow guys, those scores for Free and InuHasa. I just...wow.

What? You mad that Free! is getting high scores?

Anyway, Free! is quite possibly one of the most homo things in existence but I ain't complaining. That ED is amazing and my heart cannot take all the bishies--but the real clincher, is that it appears to be a serious sports rivalry show. Can't wait to see some competition between Haru and Rin!
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

What? You mad that Free! is getting high scores?

I suggest you go check my tweets from about oh...five hours ago.

You might find them informative
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Saw the first episode of Free! As a gay guy I really enjoyed it for obvious reasons. I hope they keep up the quality as the first episode is the best I've seen thus far in the summer season. The only other show I've checked out Dogs and Scissors was a little on the odd side. It sort of rubbed me the wrong way. I can't wait until this weekend when most of the shows I'm legitimately looking forward too (besides Free!) start. I'm a little worried though as aside from Monogatari Series Second Season the other 3 shows haven't been announced for simulcast yet and the weekend is coming up soon.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Key Lime Pie wrote:
Haven't started anything yet but you'll get some opinions from me come first episodes watched.

Though, it's kind of early for me to judge right?

It might be a tad early but I have gut feeling it's going to be great.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Based on this chart. This seasons looks like a lot of nada for me. Gatchaman Crowds MIGHT be interesting. Gotta see the execution in action, I hope Crunchyroll gets it.

Other then that, it looks like just more Attack on Titan and waiting on Ghost in the Shell - Arise blu-rays.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Why should we need to, Fencedude? Say what you've got to say here instead of just dropping vague comments and saying, "see this for the full story." You've never been shy about speaking your mind before, and I'm not going to allow this thread to serve as an advertising service for your tweeting.

So yeah, if you want me to give a damn about what you say - or read it at all! - then post it here.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Everything so far that have aired this summer in the past few days gave me a good impression so far except Brothers Conflict which I'm likely dropping. Free!'s airing today definitely was entertaining to watch as well. Hoping for some good first impressions for tomorrow's episodes Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Why should we need to, Fencedude? Say what you've got to say here instead of just dropping vague comments and saying, "see this for the full story." You've never been shy about speaking your mind before, and I'm not going to allow this thread to serve as an advertising service for your tweeting.

So yeah, if you want me to give a damn about what you say - or read it at all! - then post it here.

Chagen follows him on twitter. Or at least reads his tweets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 73