• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Good Shounen/Seinen Romance Manga Recommendations

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kai0227

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I've done all the shounen romance mangas that immediately come to mind when this genre is mentioned like Ichigo 100%, I''s, Love Hina, Pastel, Chobits, Maison Ikkoku, Suzuka... Overall, I've enjoyed reading them even though it seems like a lot of people here regard some of the aforementioned manga as crap i.e. Ichigo 100%. So I'm wondering is there some manga out there that falls under that category that I haven't heard about which is just so good that it makes all those other ones terrible in comparison?

I'm a sucker for romance mangas so I've tried almost everything I could find in this category including shoujo ones. Those didn't really suit me so for now I'd like to stick with ones aimed toward male readers.

I've heard of Kimagure Orange Road but something about the ESP is turning me off. Also, I tend to prefer modern mangas. Maison Ikkoku was a great story and definitely a good read but I like contemporary stories better.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!
smoochy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Video Girl Ai, by Masakazu Katsura, is probably my favourite shounen romance by far. Check it out.
Noggy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
The ESP usage in Kimagure Orange Road isn't all the bad. The main character tries to avoid using it out of fear of being caught and forced to move to another new town. It's not like the powers are used every other page. I didn't think it got in the way of the story all the much.

As for other recommendations, assuming the series you listed are the only ones you've read:

Firstly, I second Video Girl Ai, and while I've only seen the anime, look into Ai Yori Aoshi as well. AYA is a harem, so if you really liked Love Hina and Ichigo 100%, this should be right up your alley. I thought the male lead was a lot more likeable than Keitaro and especially Junpei. The series itself is more like Love Hina, although the female lead is the complete opposite of Naru.

Also, there is Chibi Vampire. Again, I've only seen the anime (Karin) but outside of the gimmick of a vampire who produces too much blood, there's a sweet little romance story to be found.

Neither will make what you've already read look terrible in comparison, but you've read pretty much all the shounen romance mangas that I can think of that are held in high regard. Although I have a feeling I'm forgetting about an obvious series....
yardsale09

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Dude , I'm in the same boat as you. I've read almost all the same titles you just mentioned. While I haven't read it yet, I'm planning to pick it up soon, I would suggest Mars by Fuyumi Soryo and Shirley Kubo. I've heard its supposed to be really good. You also might like Hot Gimmick, its is a shojo though. It has a good amount of romance in it, and alot of drama. Some of the characters do some stupid things at times, and at other times it seems like the story is either going nowhere or just in circles. But over all its a good read.
Alucalb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Crying Freeman, written by Kazuo Koike and illustrated Ryuichi Ikegami, is a seinen crime drama about a potter turned assassin by a Chinese crime syndicate who falls in love with his would-be target. Great romance and lots of action, I highly recommend it.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Does Gantz count as a romance? I felt (not thought) there was some degree of love in the story that was especially profound because of the development of Kei Kurono.
kai0227

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Noggy wrote:
The ESP usage in Kimagure Orange Road isn't all the bad. The main character tries to avoid using it out of fear of being caught and forced to move to another new town. It's not like the powers are used every other page. I didn't think it got in the way of the story all the much.

As for other recommendations, assuming the series you listed are the only ones you've read:

Firstly, I second Video Girl Ai, and while I've only seen the anime, look into Ai Yori Aoshi as well. AYA is a harem, so if you really liked Love Hina and Ichigo 100%, this should be right up your alley. I thought the male lead was a lot more likeable than Keitaro and especially Junpei. The series itself is more like Love Hina, although the female lead is the complete opposite of Naru.

Also, there is Chibi Vampire. Again, I've only seen the anime (Karin) but outside of the gimmick of a vampire who produces too much blood, there's a sweet little romance story to be found.

Neither will make what you've already read look terrible in comparison, but you've read pretty much all the shounen romance mangas that I can think of that are held in high regard. Although I have a feeling I'm forgetting about an obvious series....

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to give Kimagure Orange Road another try. I've read some of Ai Yori Aoshi and actually have the first five volumes in English from Tokyopop. Sadly, I don't have the money to buy the other volumes out right now. I like the story but I think it does get a little tiring, waiting to see when the leads can finally be open about their relationship.

I think I'm going to try Video Girl Ai too. Again, thanks everyone for your recommendations. Please keep them coming since it seems like there are others like me who are looking for similar mangas.
PyroDragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:14 pm Reply with quote
first, Gantz - I love it and the love romance part, I think I would recommend it - a bit of a tragic romance - as there were many times I was thinking "why did she have to die" or "damn they were getting along so well but she had to die", it gets emotional but the gore action kind of nullifies it.

I have not read that many mangas but I would recommend reading karo kano manga. I have not finished the manga yet but so far it is real good and its NOT SHOUNEN but I would definitely recommend it if you want romance
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Alucalb wrote:
Crying Freeman, written by Kazuo Koike and illustrated Ryuichi Ikegami, is a seinen crime drama about a potter turned assassin by a Chinese crime syndicate who falls in love with his would-be target. Great romance and lots of action, I highly recommend it.

I wouldn't consider old-school seinen manga as "romantic" because of the chauvanistic undertones in many of them; the whole "You were going to kill me but not I'll give up my virginity to you because your such a man" bit. Gantz is diffrent, as romance is pure, emotional and well used to develop characters, but even then it is hardly the focus. If your going to call something romance it should be the focus of the manga because otherwise anything with a romantic relationship in it (in other words, every story ever written) would be grouped into the genre. As for my recommendations (all of them available in english):

Ohikkoshi-Hiroaki Samura turns his considerable skills from period epic to creating a modern-day romantic comedy with some suprisingly comedic touches. While the humor is delightfully silly, the story is a very refreshing change of pace to most romance manga: no big plot turns or soap-operaish elements, just a very funny and very real look at the lives of college kids. Great characters, great relationships and a sense of humor that adults can appriciate all in a single volumes that will be out this october.

Dance till Tomorrow-Quite diffrent than my first recommendation, as it features melodrama and sex-driven humor, but still a good pick. It lacks the depth and sophistication of Naoki Yamamoto's later works, but DTT makes up for it is crude humor and sex. Centering around the tumultuous relationship of Suekichi, a cynical young man on the verge of a nervous-breakdown, and Aya, his perverted and nutty "lover" (for the much of the manga they're not so much in a relationship as they just use each other for sex), this seven-volume manga is in my opinion a forgotten gem among American readers.

Saikano-True that this is a very violent manga about war, the heart of the story is an utterly tragic story of two people's love in a brutal world. The manga-ka is careful to make both leads flawed and three-dimensional, which makes you care about them even more. Certianly not for anyone looking for a fun read, but the pathos inspired by this book has rarely been matched.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:

Dance till Tomorrow-Quite diffrent than my first recommendation, as it features melodrama and sex-driven humor, but still a good pick. It lacks the depth and sophistication of Naoki Yamamoto's later works, but DTT makes up for it is crude humor and sex. Centering around the tumultuous relationship of Suekichi, a cynical young man on the verge of a nervous-breakdown, and Aya, his perverted and nutty "lover" (for the much of the manga they're not so much in a relationship as they just use each other for sex), this seven-volume manga is in my opinion a forgotten gem among American readers.

Reading this makes me glad I ordered this series during the recent TRSI Viz sale. When you say something is good, I usually agree.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:25 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Kagemusha wrote:

Reading this makes me glad I ordered this series during the recent TRSI Viz sale. When you say something is good, I usually agree.

Thanks alot; at least I'm not talking to myself. Like I said, Yamamoto really hadn't developed his craft and DTT really can't compare to his more serious (and admittingly more difficult) works like Arigatou, Believers or the various one-shots he's done over the past dozen or so years, but for what it is it's exellent and hugely enjoyable.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:57 am Reply with quote
yardsale09 wrote:
I would suggest Mars by Fuyumi Soryo and Shirley Kubo.

...I've never seen someone give credit to the translator like that before, except perhaps where Battle Royale is considered, since that translator is closer to a re-write.
kai0227

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Ohikkoshi sounds very interesting but I'm having trouble finding it. The only thing I found on it was a brief news blurb on this site about Dark Horse acquiring it. I checked the Dark Horse site but couldn't find out anything.

Where did you read Ohikkoshi Kagemusha?
yardsale09

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
yardsale09 wrote:
I would suggest Mars by Fuyumi Soryo and Shirley Kubo.

...I've never seen someone give credit to the translator like that before, except perhaps where Battle Royale is considered, since that translator is closer to a re-write.

I just copied and paste from amazon.com heh heh.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:15 pm Reply with quote
kai0227 wrote:
Ohikkoshi sounds very interesting but I'm having trouble finding it. The only thing I found on it was a brief news blurb on this site about Dark Horse acquiring it. I checked the Dark Horse site but couldn't find out anything.

Where did you read Ohikkoshi Kagemusha?

http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=13-546
As I said, it's coming out in october. I read it through scanslations and translations I found online (which I believe were taken down once it was licenced).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1