• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Star Blazers/Yamato 2199 #1's English Dub Shown at Anime Expo

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Ya know, it'd be nice to have some semblance of info about the voice cast and dubbing studio.

Just a thought. Neutral
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Voyager, you can't call the [expletive] ship "Argo" if the character is clearly saying "Yamato". That's called being a complete douchebag.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
If renaming the Yamato Project the Argo Project is as far as they go in using the old dub name of the ship, that's a good nod to the Star Blazers series without ruining a dub by mixing nomenclatures (and thereby contradicting the multitude of visual references to the Yamato name in the animation). The ship itself isn't mentioned by name in the first episode, so hopefully the subtitles of the OP video shown and posted at starblazers.com will remain something for initial promotional purposes. The fact that they kept the Japanese names for every other character and ship mentioned is promising.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Voyager, you can't call the [expletive] ship "Argo" if the character is clearly saying "Yamato". That's called being a complete douchebag.

And no one knows how to be a douchebag better than Penguintruth, 'mright? Wink
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Ya know, it'd be nice to have some semblance of info about the voice cast and dubbing studio.

Just a thought. Neutral

At this stage Production IG have probably only dubbed that single episode to market the show. No further dubbing is likely until a licensee picks it up.

As for who was amongst the cast, one report I've read says someone recognised Jonny Yong Bosch's voice.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
If Production IG is handling the dubbing themselves, then odds are it's a Bang/Zoom dub, like they did with Oblivion Island.

And if JYB is in it, that makes it all the more likely.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
If renaming the Yamato Project the Argo Project is as far as they go in using the old dub name of the ship, that's a good nod to the Star Blazers series without ruining a dub by mixing nomenclatures (and thereby contradicting the multitude of visual references to the Yamato name in the animation). The ship itself isn't mentioned by name in the first episode, so hopefully the subtitles of the OP video shown and posted at starblazers.com will remain something for initial promotional purposes. The fact that they kept the Japanese names for every other character and ship mentioned is promising.

If it's in the subtitles also, it's a slap to the face of the original work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Arsenette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:

Ugh I facepalmed when I HEAR Yamato and read ARGO.. I'm not 10 years old anymore and I own the box sets of Star Blazers from 30 years ago.. I don't need to change this.. I just want a simple translation of what I"m hearing. I really could care less about the dub since I'll just switch to the Japanese. I won't knock if for them doing it and possibly coming out in Toonami or somewhere else for this new generation. I will however pitch a fit if there is no option to get a straight Japanese translation that doesn't change the names and phrases to placate the "nostalgia" people. I think they misunderstand the concept. YES we were fans of Star Blazers but we don't need to be coddled 30 years later. We've come to accept and love the original works. Did they NOT get the message from Robotech? We want to see the original folks.. not Star blazers 2.0.
The American Average

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
wonder who will dub this show I'd bet Bang Zoom. I like to see the Ocean Group but i doubt that'll happen.

Still, Captain Avatar and Derek Wildstar should still be their names Razz
Arsenette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:
wonder who will dub this show I'd bet Bang Zoom. I like to see the Ocean Group but i doubt that'll happen.

Oh for the love of everything holy.. NO! It seems they are keeping the original names (as is should be).. the mixing and matching is what is pissing me off. If you want captain Avatar and Derek Wildstar you already have Star Blazers from 30 years ago you can still buy. THIS one Yamato 2199 should be the correct names. I want to see the original.. not a bastardized version for some perceived nostalgia for an era when we had no choice to see the original.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Just a thought. Neutral

When i asked Someone who far it ion the CosmoDNA fanpage he said is son recognized Jonny Young Bosh's voice in there. No clue who he was voicing.

Page leader thinks it's a pilot dub to show around for marketing.

https://www.facebook.com/CosmoDNA/posts/390946011006127?comment_id=2016281&offset=0&total_comments=6&notif_t=feed_comment_reply
Panon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
This is just a completely embarrassing anachronism at this point.

It's not the 80's anymore, you don't need to pretend cartoons aren't Japanese, and cornball replacement names won't make it any more appealing to anybody who would be on the fence about watching it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:

Well, if they're going to keep calling the show "Starblazers" and the ship the "Argo", they might as well go all the way to hell and use those names, too.

It's strange, too, since they released a Yamato movie boxset years ago that I bought.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I am just barely old enough to have seen this show as a kid. The whole Argo/Yamoto thing is so minor that it just smacks of out and out whining to me. If it really is just that one thing, then let it go. There are much more important things to concern yourself with in this world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
If these changes persist, consider my interest in the official English release to be nil.

I'll stick to the fansubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6