• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dog and Scissors (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:38 am Reply with quote
Pretty strange episode. I can't say I was hooked, but it has potential, and some of the humour was pretty good. I too laughed at the scene of the dog with the bloodshot eyes. On the other hand, much of the humour surrounding the girl just didn't click with me. She came across as too aloof and annoying, and didn't exactly make a good first impression in the restaurant where she was too dumb to live. Plus she doesn't exactly have a scary and dominating-enough demeanour; for instance, she's got nothing on Hitagi from the Monogatari series.

The show could go either way at this point and so much will depend on how it can keep the humour from getting repetitive and stale. I assume the numerous side characters will have something to do with that, injecting their own quirks and personalities and shticks. But it isn't just the humour that needs to be monitored, the drama and plot are more perplexing. Where can they - and by "they" I mean both the characters and the creators - go from here? Apart from finishing the book and maybe set some relationship flags where is this show going to go? The good part is that it could go anywhere, it isn't constrained by some plot. The bad part is that it can go anywhere, it doesn't have a wider plot to fall back on to keep the drama up and provide basic structure to the story. If the creators are, well, creative, the show could be a riot as it goes to fresh and interesting places. If the creators aren't talented then without framework to provide guidance the show will lose all momentum and basically stall.

So, to reiterate, this has the potential to be very good or very bad depending on what the creators do next. It's impossible to tell right now which way it will go, so dropping it right now would be making an uninformed decision. That means one thing; keep watching and find out.

Edit: saw something interesting from the ED. First of all the robber appears in it, meaning he may well be a recurring character. We know he appears next episode, but that might not be the end of him. Secondly, the robber is holding a copy of one of Natsuno's books, the red cover is distinctive. I wonder if he didn't steal something from Natsuno during the robbery, like the manuscript she was working on.
karisplata Kyoto

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
I missed the sexual part. o_O

Well rope and verbal abuse are pretty integral parts to S&M play.

I wonder how they'll handle a harem where the central male is a dog.
peanut butter thats all it needs to be interesting
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
that was interesting. dont know where this will go, but i'll keep watching for now
Papochulo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Edit: saw something interesting from the ED. First of all the robber appears in it, meaning he may well be a recurring character. We know he appears next episode, but that might not be the end of him. Secondly, the robber is holding a copy of one of Natsuno's books, the red cover is distinctive. I wonder if he didn't steal something from Natsuno during the robbery, like the manuscript she was working on.

I didn't catch that thing bout the book, however spoiler[ when our hero was dying, he did said that he can't die before reading that last book by the author ("Lust"). I'm guessing that not being able to read that book is keeping our dogboy from going to the afterlife, and that when that book is finally finished, and he reads it, he'll move on to the afterlife. Author being able to read his mind could be something put in place to motivate her into finishing that book.
]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
I was hoping that the writer was going to use her scissors to clip that bit of fur that sticks up on the dog's head, but it looks like I'll have to wait _at_least_ one more episode for that to happen (not that I actually expect them to remove that really annoying bit that moves without proper explanation so far).

It will neither be removed or explained, being as how it's a shop-worn character trope and it's the only body language available when he's in the bag.

Coincidentally, I watched Servant x Service just after this, and thought he'd already leapt into one of the female characters in that, who had the identical waving antenna. I think it even curls in the same direction.

As for the dog in the harem speculations, well, women and dogs can get married and have kids according to the legend of the Hakkenden (and Wolf Children, etc.), so I don't think the Japanese necessarily see that as an obstacle...
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Thinking of her first time spoiler[with a dog] lol.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2
Wait, Kirihime has a spoiler[sister]?! And one that is a spoiler[policewoman]? Lol. Well, that's news to me.

Anyways, it seems like the spoiler[fugitive made a mistake with keys and his escape. Also, the references of the Seven Deadly sins is pretty direct with Wrath, Sloth, etc. The fight was kinda weird but the dance style sure was something.]

Weird episode.

spoiler[I'll taxidermy you alive!]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 2
Wait, Kirihime has a spoiler[sister]?! And one that is a spoiler[policewoman]? Lol. Well, that's news to me.

What I find astonishing is that apparently spoiler[the police have keys to everyone's apartments and houses.]

And no, puppy, you're not even distantly related to the landlady. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

We totally need a stalker magical girl anime.

Also wondering if someone inside a dogs body would even have a libido, there is always that one threat to test it.

And the fact she spoiler[felt so guilty about his death was obvious, that she also did not want to feel responsible for it. Keeping my theory that her sadistic personality is largely a persona I will take that the cuter way she acted when she was sobering is her real personality.] Although a revelation like that would probably ruin.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:55 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Also wondering if someone inside a dogs body would even have a libido, there is always that one threat to test it.
As long as the dog wasn't neutered, I don't see why they wouldn't. Why a dog in a pet shop wouldn't be neutered is another question entirely.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:04 am Reply with quote
This show is definitely an odd duck but strangely compelling. I hope we see more of loli lawyer.
Papochulo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 2

We totally need a stalker magical girl anime.

Likely if that someone had a libido before ending up in that dog's body, but in the case of our hero, very unlikely. I suspect if it had been a choice between a naked girl and a book, the girl would lose.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Papochulo wrote:
Likely if that someone had a libido before ending up in that dog's body, but in the case of our hero, very unlikely. I suspect if it had been a choice between a naked girl and a book, the girl would lose.

He has said, more than once, that he's only interested in 2D girls. But... I don't believe him, because his gaze keeps moving to Certain Areas on Kirihime's body.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Papochulo wrote:

He has said, more than once, that he's only interested in 2D girls. But... I don't believe him, because his gaze keeps moving to Certain Areas on Kirihime's body.

So he can laugh at her chest.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:

So he can laugh at her chest.

"Hin-nyuu! Oi! Hin-nyuu! Hin-nyuu! Hin-nyuu! Hin-nyuu! KONO DO-HINYUU NO!"
"YOU SAID IT SIX TIMES, DID YOU!"

lmao. Anime hyper Thought I'd end up feeling sorry for this dog when Kirihime tortures him...but he completely brought THAT one upon himself!

Here is the kanji for his insult for her: 貧乳
DON'T abuse this, kay? Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8