• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DC Comics CEO on CMX, Tenjho Tenge Editing

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryujin jakka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Excuse my harsh language but, That is the shittiest excuse for editing I have ever heard. If any thing all they have done is turn more fans away from buying the US Version of the Tenjo Tenge manga, which I belive was a very bad Idea on there part, and is the same reason why I don't support CMX or DC comics. I think it is costing them more than they let on too. This is just my own opinon!
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
we have sensitivity to creative material that someone who's just repackaging material as their whole day's work might not have.

Since when?

Quote:
We probably have a more limited range of what would be at the far edge of R-rated to X-rated content than some publishers. We don't want to do material that is beyond the range we'd publish ourselves in our own lines.

Then why do you have Vertigo?

Quote:
The Japanese culture is comfortable with any number of things in manga that American audiences are not necessarily comfortable with.

Battle Royale and Berserk say otherwise...

Quote:
The U.S. is not the most lucrative market for a manga publisher or a manga artist.

And yet how do you explain manga outselling your domestic titles 10-to-1?

Quote:
What they really want to do is bring their material to a larger number of people.

What if the larger number of people don't like it anyway?
ryujin jakka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Exactly, They made a Mistake and they don't know how to fix it. plain and simple. So who cares if you bring manga to a larger Aduaince, if they are put off by the edits you have succeded in only costing your self more money. Good Job DC! Mr. DC Man-Boo to you sir, Boo.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Darn, and here I was hoping they'd finally gotten the message. Oh well, I suppose they can delay the inevitable just a bit longer if it strokes their marketing peewee. Too bad I'll be spending my money elsewhere until then.
ryujin jakka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:56 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I download it. I am not big into downloading but it it screws over some part of DC then I am happy.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We probably have a more limited range of what would be at the far edge of R-rated to X-rated content than some publishers.

Then don't license titles that fall outside your "limited range." Don't edit the hell out a title aimed at adults so you could market it to pre-teens. If you didn't like the limited scope that title could reach, you shouldn't have licensed it at all.

Quote:
The unedited material would not have been able to reach as many points of distribution.

Awwww.... that's so sad. Sad

License something else instead and leave titles like TenTen to someone else.

Quote:
The U.S. is not the most lucrative market for a manga publisher or a manga artist. What they really want to do is bring their material to a larger number of people. If that requires alteration, some of them are not just happy to do that, but prefer to do that.

Ken Akamatsu didn't seem to mind his tiny sales by keeping all of the fanservice. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I think we'll always talk with our partners about how they want their material published in this country.

Translation: We'll make our 'partners' sign off on any changes we do since they won't really care and even if they do, we'll just convince them that it not editing it would limit our sales and thus we couldn't pay them as much for the license if we can't edit it.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What happened on Tenjho Tenge is we did a series of changes in conjunction with the artist and the publisher of the material in Japan to give it the widest possible distribution in the U.S.

so i'm guessing Oh Great! hasn't seen what they've done yet, i can't wait til he eventually comes over here. Alan Moore anyone?
BigHurtBrad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Just to make a counter argument, but you do realize that the online community is not the majority of DC's audience for anything they produce, including manga? I'd guess that at least half of those that have bought Tenjho Tenge from CMX have no clue that it's editted.

I don't support the edits, but from what I've seen they're not that major. They cover up the nudity (Which was already eliminated in the anime adaptation) and do a few more things to tame it. If they do more than I'm acknowledging, than I apologize as I've only watched the anime and not read the manga.

And I thought Oh! Great condoned the changes. But whatever.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote
ryujin jakka wrote:
Excuse my harsh language but, That is the shittiest excuse for editing I have ever heard. If any thing all they have done is turn more fans away from buying the US Version of the Tenjo Tenge manga, which I belive was a very bad Idea on there part, and is the same reason why I don't support CMX or DC comics. I think it is costing them more than they let on too. This is just my own opinon!

They arn't making bank, but they are making enough to release new volume every other month. If it had sold very poorly, the title would have been cancle by now. So it's not as bad as you think.

ryujin jakka wrote:
At this point, I download it. I am not big into downloading but it it screws over some part of DC then I am happy.

Actually you aren't screwing DC over because they aren't even aware (less they don't care) what you're doing. It's funny and even ridiculous on how people think this way. The best way to let DC know is to write them a letter, go to convention to give your disapprove or buy their other mature title to let 'em know that their is a market for it and what they did with TenTen is stupid (I'm sure they are aware of it by now).

Not only that it's simply disrespectful to the original mangaka (oh Great) that his work is pirated even though he/his company license it out. I'm not happy with TenTen's edit either. Simply downloading it when it's officially license doesn't tell 'em anything other than saying I'm a theif. Just buy something else and move on.

Last edited by hagakure|returns on Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Brad:
Quote:
I'd guess that at least half of those that have bought Tenjho Tenge from CMX have no clue that it's editted.

Judging by the numerous scantalations for Tenjho Tenge, I'd disagree.

Quote:
They cover up the nudity (Which was already eliminated in the anime adaptation) and do a few more things to tame it.

Like change(i.e. Americanize and dumb down) dialogue.

Quote:

And I thought Oh! Great condoned the changes.

Oh! Great doesn't really have a choice in the matter.
shrinknerv

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quote
BigHurtBrad wrote:
Just to make a counter argument, but you do realize that the online community is not the majority of DC's audience for anything they produce, including manga? I'd guess that at least half of those that have bought Tenjho Tenge from CMX have no clue that it's editted.

I don't support the edits, but from what I've seen they're not that major. They cover up the nudity (Which was already eliminated in the anime adaptation) and do a few more things to tame it. If they do more than I'm acknowledging, than I apologize as I've only watched the anime and not read the manga.

And I thought Oh! Great condoned the changes. But whatever.

When an artist condones editing, it's only begrudgingly. They would rather their art distributed unedited, buut the distributor holds the keys, and if they refuse, their art doesn't get spread.

"Just covering up nudity" is an extremely harsh offense. An anime adaptation is far different from a manga translation. The anime is a work unto itself, merely based off of the manga. The creator of the anime chose to tone down his anime. That is not the case with the translated manga. The creator, Oh! Great, created his Japanese version super racy. It would make no sense that he wants it drawn all over and fixed. Additionally, the edits are not just artistic, they are also plot related. The sexual dialog is toned down and altered, which changes the actual storyline. That worked in the old days of anime, when it was disrespected, but now, that is a capital punishment for anime or manga.

DC's answer to this answer sickens me. Part of the excuse is that "Part of the challenge is sometimes you're acquiring a series before it's finished. It may change over the course of its life and that will always be a certain amount of challenge." This is pure bull. From the first volume alone, there is nudity and rape scene. In that same paragraph, they mention, "We're going to think hard if we're going to choose to have a series where they'd really like to see an unedited version," which also doesn't make sense. Oh! Great was known before for writing and illustrating hentai before Tenjho Tenge. Why would you take out the sex and nudity?

They say themselves that their chief reason for the edits is greed. To hit the widest audience as possible at the expense of artistic integrity. Disgustiing. It should be noted too that DC still refused to apologize. Childish behavior for a major comic book distributor.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:48 pm Reply with quote
DC offer him or his company a sum of money and condition on what they're gonna do with TenTen.

Being in Oh Great's or the company's shoe, he really has 2 choices:

They can take the money and license it out under those condition and see how it sales
or

They can simply past and wait for another company to take license it.

I guess it all comes down to money sometimes and I know how important it is for "some" artist to want to keep his art the way he intend it to be but then there are other artist that are doing it for several other reason such as fame/wealth etc. It's a great honor for many japanese mangaka to have their work publish in the US. Many people forget that a lot of mangaka draw manga for a living. Peachpit comes to mind for some reason.

Last edited by hagakure|returns on Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Just.............................Wow.
emory

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Holy sh...how many times does CMX need to be interviewed before people are convinced that THEY'RE NOT GOING TO DISTRIBUTE AN UNEDITED VERSION?!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:30 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
Holy sh...how many times does CMX need to be interviewed before people are convinced that THEY'RE NOT GOING TO DISTRIBUTE AN UNEDITED VERSION?!

At this point, no one really expects them to. In fact, if you bother to read the posts, you'll notice that no one is even discussing whether or not they will.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5