• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seven Seas Entertainment - Your One-Stop Thread for 7S Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
Hey there, everyone! My name is Conner, and I'm the new-guy at Seven Seas! Recently, I've helped kick up the activity on our social media accounts and will be attempting to streamline our (Seven Seas) dialog with manga fans.

As a long-time fan of manga myself, I know just how frustrating it can be to ask a publisher some questions and not get a response in a timely manner (if at all). So here I am, and here is this thread. I will try to frequent this thread at least once a day and answer posts as they come, or try to get back to you the day after.

Please feel free to post any comments, questions, complaints & critique and/or license requests. I may not always have the answer you're looking for, and I'm likely to defer a number of more detailed/specific question to the higher-ups (I'm still a green-horn), I will try to answer all posts to the best of my ability.

Also, if you're going to make license requests, I only ask a few things regarding them:

• NO titles from Shueisha, Shogakukan, Kodansha or Square Enix (we cannot license them)
  • We are NOT taking light-novel requests for now
  • No super-long series (anything 10+ vol. is pushing it)
  • We want to try and stick with current series (2000+ please)

Other than that, I look forward to being around the ANN forums a bit more often and talking with all of you. Smile

Edit: Oh yeah, you can always reach us on Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr if you don't feel like posting here (I'll also likely be checking the Twitter feed far more often than the others, just FYI)
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
Would you guys consider licensing Aoi Hana, especially now it's finished (or close to)? I know it's long, but I think it'd be a good choice Smile

PS. Are you going to publish any more of the Alice in the Country of... books? I know there's a few which haven't been released yet.
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:17 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Would you guys consider licensing Aoi Hana, especially now it's finished (or close to)? I know it's long, but I think it'd be a good choice Smile

PS. Are you going to publish any more of the Alice in the Country of... books? I know there's a few which haven't been released yet.

We actually put out a general "please send us your yuri-requests" question on Twitter/Facebook last month, and I was going through the # of requests and dealing with all of that. Aoi Hana/Sweet Blue Flowers was very highly requested, though like you said, it is kind of longish and there are a few other things to consider on the title itself.

From that polling, we do have a few titles in mind that we'd like to look at and are currently considering our options on them. It's not to say that we'll license any of them, but at the very least look them over. So yeah, we're definitely aware of the popularity of the title. Best thing I can say is for fans to support the anime release from Nozomi/RightStuf and keep the support for yuri manga up.

In terms of "Alice in the Country of [x]" titles, we definitely have more planned. In fact, you can expect a very steady stream of Alice from now until well into next year.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:43 am Reply with quote
The past few years Seven Seas rescued one fan favourite after another (thank you, thank you, thank you!), so hopefully you won't mind if I ask for some more.

1. Immortal Rain
This one went down with Tokyopop's ship, so we never got the final volumes in English. And that's a horrible thing, because it's a great shojo series. Jason Thompson totally understands its awesomeness: animenewsnetwork.com/house-of-1000-manga/2010-11-04 It's a little over ten volumes and I know that's pushing it, but that's what omnibuses are for right?

2. Apothecarius Argentum
Another case of: this is a really good shojo series, but the English publication stopped at a major cliffhanger and now I really need to know how it ends! Like Immortal Rain it's a little over ten volumes, but only the first eight were published in English.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:34 am Reply with quote
Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world who wants less yuri and moe stuff. For example, Witch Buster, I rented some from the library (as Witch Hunter before the trademark problem) and plan to buy the series. No one seems to be publishing much shonen manhwa, I'd like to see more of that. I can't really suggest any titles though, I'm not very familiar with manhwa in general. Yen publishes a lot of shojo manhwa, but the few shonen manhwa I've read I really liked.

I would love license rescues though, no idea if you can license rescue Future Diary, but I will love whoever does forever! There's 12 volumes and 2 side volumes, but Funi is about to release the anime, so that should get the manga attention. Tokyopop released the first 10 volumes, so I'd want two volume omnibuses ideally to prevent rebuying anything (having an overlap on v10, when Yen rescued Alice in the Country of Hearts, everyone felt their Tokyopop versions were immediately useless because Yen went oversized in two vol sets. With Viz rescuing Loveless though, they did 1-8 in two vol omnibuses and started from 9 with singles, which works great for people with Tokyopop's volumes and new people alike). Like I said, not sure if you can get this (Kadokawa Shoten?), but I don't think it's going far enough over 10 volumes to be a bad idea and the anime coming out will make people look for a manga which now doesn't exist.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:50 am Reply with quote
While we're on the subject of license rescues, I realise this is probably totally unrealistic given how long they are, but what are the chances of you rescuing Gakuen Alice and Maid-sama?
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:56 am Reply with quote
Ok then, what about these titles:
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha (You Asami version) published by Enterbrain.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - "Kono Watashi no Mono Tonare, Yuusha yo" "Kotowaru!" (Akira Ishida version) published by Kadokawa Shoten.

And since you guys just licensed three military theme mangas, how about these?

Gunka no Baltzar by Nakajima Michitsune, published by Shinchosha (19th century Military warfare).

Kurogane Pukapuka Tai by Shinsuke Kurihashi, published by Ikaros Shuppan (WWII Naval combat with Yuri comedy)

Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There by Takumi Yanai and Satoru Sao, published by Alpha Polis (Modern Armies VS Fantasy Armies and Creatures)
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
The past few years Seven Seas rescued one fan favourite after another (thank you, thank you, thank you!), so hopefully you won't mind if I ask for some more.

1. Immortal Rain
This one went down with Tokyopop's ship, so we never got the final volumes in English. And that's a horrible thing, because it's a great shojo series. Jason Thompson totally understands its awesomeness: animenewsnetwork.com/house-of-1000-manga/2010-11-04 It's a little over ten volumes and I know that's pushing it, but that's what omnibuses are for right?

2. Apothecarius Argentum
Another case of: this is a really good shojo series, but the English publication stopped at a major cliffhanger and now I really need to know how it ends! Like Immortal Rain it's a little over ten volumes, but only the first eight were published in English.

Hm, license rescues are a tricky matter and we're not really looking into rescuing any titles for the time being. Picking up series that were almost finished makes for a number of problems too, as bookstores are generally more weary to stock re-releases on their shelves, especially with as limited shelf space as manga gets these days.

The first series started in 1999, and was 11 volumes long (8 of which TP got out). The second was also 11 volumes long (but from 2004, and CMX put out 9 vols). Both big investments to make for series that already had a chance and were stopped right before the end. As far the purpose of omnibus fitting into rescues? Yes and no. It helps bookstores, but the licensor still needs to weigh the costs of production/licensing/translation with what would be made from this rescue. And honestly, I couldn't see us picking up either of these. Sorry.

classicalzawa wrote:
Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world who wants less yuri and moe stuff. For example, Witch Buster, I rented some from the library (as Witch Hunter before the trademark problem) and plan to buy the series. No one seems to be publishing much shonen manhwa, I'd like to see more of that. I can't really suggest any titles though, I'm not very familiar with manhwa in general. Yen publishes a lot of shojo manhwa, but the few shonen manhwa I've read I really liked.

I would love license rescues though, no idea if you can license rescue Future Diary, but I will love whoever does forever! There's 12 volumes and 2 side volumes, but Funi is about to release the anime, so that should get the manga attention. Tokyopop released the first 10 volumes, so I'd want two volume omnibuses ideally to prevent rebuying anything (having an overlap on v10, when Yen rescued Alice in the Country of Hearts, everyone felt their Tokyopop versions were immediately useless because Yen went oversized in two vol sets. With Viz rescuing Loveless though, they did 1-8 in two vol omnibuses and started from 9 with singles, which works great for people with Tokyopop's volumes and new people alike). Like I said, not sure if you can get this (Kadokawa Shoten?), but I don't think it's going far enough over 10 volumes to be a bad idea and the anime coming out will make people look for a manga which now doesn't exist.

We've released manhwa in the past and will continue to evaluate our options for them in the future. There was something we looked at recently, but ultimately decided to pass on -- so we are actively looking at manhwa.

Future Diary was pretty popular when TP was releasing it, though I'm not certain what the exact numbers were like. Probably something to keep a note on, though.

st_owly wrote:
While we're on the subject of license rescues, I realise this is probably totally unrealistic given how long they are, but what are the chances of you rescuing Gakuen Alice and Maid-sama?

Gakuen Alice is way too long and will never be licensed by us. Maid-sama, while finally finished, is 18 volumes long and unlikely to be rescued by us (I was a huge fan of it too, so I feel your pain).

MrTerrorist wrote:
Ok then, what about these titles:
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha (You Asami version) published by Enterbrain.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - "Kono Watashi no Mono Tonare, Yuusha yo" "Kotowaru!" (Akira Ishida version) published by Kadokawa Shoten.

And since you guys just licensed three military theme mangas, how about these?

Gunka no Baltzar by Nakajima Michitsune, published by Shinchosha (19th century Military warfare).

Kurogane Pukapuka Tai by Shinsuke Kurihashi, published by Ikaros Shuppan (WWII Naval combat with Yuri comedy)

Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There by Takumi Yanai and Satoru Sao, published by Alpha Polis (Modern Armies VS Fantasy Armies and Creatures)

I really enjoyed the Maoyuu Maou Yuusha anime, but it didn't quite get the attention I thought it would with fans over here. The manga is very pretty-looking, so it is something I've looked over. Hard to say if we'd look into bringing either of the adaptations over, though, especially since no one licensed the anime for domestic release. More of a "we'll wait and see" with that, I think.

Ah, Gunka no Baltzar...yes, I've heard of it. Really interesting title, but I think this would be a pretty difficult title to market. Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There has been mentioned a few times prior, and I've been keeping my eyes on it. Another case of "would this sell?", "how would we market this?" though.

Great suggestions, though.

-----------

And now that I've answered some questions, here's a bit of news from today.

Later this month, we'll be announcing a yuri license. This is something we had planned before the licensing requests, so we're still looking into those at the moment.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

Viz and Kodansha Comics are releasing plenty of shounen, aren't they?
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I'd LOVE to see Dear Tear. It was published by Hakusensha and is only two volumes, plus it's a josei title. It's about a high school freshman who decides to find out why her senpai keeps rejecting confessions from girls so she decides to start walking home with him after school.

The summary doesn't sound like much, but the way their relationship builds is highly realistic (IMHO).
Flame808

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
How about these?
Black Bullet - Manga based on novel by same name. Published by ASCII Media Works. Currently has 2 volumes. Genres Action, Mystery, Sci-fi, and Seinen.

God Does Not Play Dice - Published by Kadokawa Shoten. Currently has 4 volumes. Genres Comedy, Ecchi, and, Shounen.

Kingdom of Zombie- Manhwa published by Daiwon. Currently has 1 volume. Genres Action, Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Fantasy Horror, Shounen, Supernatural.

Mother Keeper - Manga published by Mag Garden. Currently has 8 volumes. Genres Action, Drama, Sci-fi, and Shounen. Was formerly licensed by JManga.

Taboo-Tattoo - Manga published by Media Factory. Currently has 6 volumes. Genres Action, Adult, Comedy, Ecchi, Martial Arts, Mystery, Romance, School Life, Seinen, and Supernatural.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
I'd also be up for more manhwa. How well is My Boyfriend's a Vampire doing? I really enjoy that series Smile

EDIT: Any news on volume 3+ of Lizzie Newton? The first 2 volumes are starting to get lonely on my shelf...

Last edited by st_owly on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:34 am Reply with quote
Otogi Matsuri - I've read the first volume released by CPM and it's a terrific series. Blends in mythological stuff and yokai/folklore creatures from Japan. I know it's another license rescue issue but CPM only managed to release the first volume and I think it was of a limited quantity.. It's 12 volumes long though..

Someday's Dreamers ~ Summer Skies - I think this one fits the bill. It's two volumes long. It's a spin off of Someday's Dreamer series released by Tokyopop and last year Section23 Films released the anime adaptation of it on DVD. It's a lovely slice of life series with a dash of magic.

Last Game - I would really love this one. Though it's more suited for shojo beat line but heck I'll inquire anyway.. Its a fluffy rom-com that's kind of like Kimi ni Todoke, Kare Kano and Special A.

Adekan - It's the amazing art and the flawless time period backdrop. JManga managed to release the first volume online.. Its unbelievably gorgeous and action packed!

Madameoiselle Butterfly - Sweet, short, slice of life romance that is another couple of volumes long. Its a series aimed for mature crowd. Its similar to CMX's The Name of the Flower.. But a much light hearted one.

Omoide Emanon - Only one volume. Terrific storyline about a girl with a 3 billion year old memory.. It's a Seinen series kind of like Mushishi.

Song of the Hanging Sky - Four volumes. Go Comi released its first two volumes and left it hanging.. Its a really good series! Another license rescue wish list.. :/

More Starlight to your Heart - License rescue too! 8 volumes.

Kage Kara Mamoru - Ecchi series. That desparately need rescuing. It's funny and cute.. Resembles My Bride's a Mermaid, Omamori Himari and the likes.. 6 volumes.

That's about the first series that comes to mind.. Sorry for the long list of recommendation. It's not everyday a publisher asks readers for recommendation. So THANK YOU!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:40 am Reply with quote
My Little Monster (Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun) 11 Volumes (over 10 I know) but the series has just finished and the anime seemed pretty popular.

A physical release of The Rule of Standing on Tiptoe... No harm in putting it out there.

Damn you Square Enix! I want someone to pick up You and Me (Kimi To Boku) but I don't see this happening...[/b]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:11 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I'd also be up for more manhwa. How well is My Boyfriend's a Vampire doing? I really enjoy that series Smile

I agree! (On both points.)

Have you considered/looked at/ever heard of Sweety Gem? It's by the same manhwaga as Bird Kiss (Park Eun-Ah?), which TokyoPop released back in the day. Personally, I think it's much better - a retelling of "Sleeping Beauty" where she is trapped in a magic gem and awakens in contemporary England. It's six volumes, so nice and short, and I think Alice fans would enjoy it.

Since Alice is doing so well, are you considering more otoge or reverse harem manga?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5