• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - August 26th - September 1st

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Someone_II

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:54 am Reply with quote
Brian Hanson wrote:
so you Canadians better relish this hopefully-soon-to-be-shortlived moment of superiority.
Meh, we'll still have basilisk all to ourselves for a bit longer. And even if you do get TB and Basilisk, we can still take solace in the fact that we got it first for once Laughing .
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:00 am Reply with quote
I had no idea they "toned" down the show for Shin-chan in Europe. Funny thing about the show in Japan is the humor is aimed at what we consider an adult level, but all ages watch and enjoy the show, which is one reason why it's popular enough to keep going for 10+ years.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:51 am Reply with quote
So someone besides me noticed that everyone seems to blame Adult Swim for their poor anime ratings. As if Adult Swim really wants their anime to fail! It always amazed me that people overlooked the obvious. Everyone does not love anime as much as we do.
emory

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:10 am Reply with quote
Someone_II wrote:
Brian Hanson wrote:
so you Canadians better relish this hopefully-soon-to-be-shortlived moment of superiority.
Meh, we'll still have basilisk all to ourselves for a bit longer. And even if you do get TB and Basilisk, we can still take solace in the fact that we got it first for once Laughing .

Trinity Blood will air on Adult Swim while Basilisk will air on IFC.

Also, I noticed this week's pick of the week is last week's. Mistake? Or is this week simply pickless?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:22 am Reply with quote
Someone_II wrote:
Brian Hanson wrote:

Basilisk and Trinity Blood were both in theaters in the U.S. in April and May respectively and predates the Canadian TV run (July). Razz

So, Shin-chan is a parody dub. That means that it's amplified in the actual amount of cursing etc. Is the plot similar to the Japanese version?
MsCongeniality

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:52 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
So, Shin-chan is a parody dub. That means that it's amplified in the actual amount of cursing etc. Is the plot similar to the Japanese version?

Actually, Evan Dorkin's blog didn't give the impression of a parody, he even states that the plots are all intact.

From a reply to a comment on his LJ:

Quote:
Shin-CHan's an odd show for the U.S. -- it's a kid show, in many people's minds, but it's too dirty and "asult" in many practical ways to show in prime time. Certainly you can't show it as a kiddie show here, the kid drops his drawers on a dime and paints elephant faces on his genitals, there's some frank (if childish/immature/stupid) talk about sex, body parts, homosexuality, etc as well. But it isn't exactly "adult" enough for late night. So neither fish nor fowl, too dirty, not dirty enough. It's dirtier now. Mean talk got meaner, nasty dialogue got nastier. We actually tempered some of the material we were given, which might not be apparent on viewing. I hope we struck a good balance in the rewrite, amping up certain aspects while keeping as large a chunk of the original show's spirit as possible. The plots and situations and basic jokes haven't been changed, but dialogue was worked over quite a bit in places. We shall see what we shall see.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:29 am Reply with quote
Encore Action also has Appleseed.
Wed Aug 30 08:20pm EDT

Last edited by varmintx on Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:30 am Reply with quote
Well, I never believed that [as] was out to sabotage their own lineup of anime. That's foolish. Yet, I firmly believe that their constant schedule changing is FAR more annoying than most things they've done.

How many times has [as] announced a date for a premiere or return of a show, only to change it once, twice or three more times, in the weeks following? Okay. Sure. Maybe three times is rare. But it just bugs me that [as] seems unable to air their programs in the SAME time-slot.

When a series returns, it almost never returns to the same time it left. Same day? Sure. Maybe. Same time? Not always. Heck, they can even change a show's time-slot, during its run of original, new episodes.

I'd really would like to find out why [as] does this. Is it a cable thing? Is it a ratings thing? Why can't I as a viewer trust that an [as] program is going to air at the same night and time, for more than a few months or a year?
Break

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:43 am Reply with quote
umm I'm not sure but I think you forgot IGPX finale but then I guess I'm the only one who cared Sad
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:57 am Reply with quote
I know IGPX is not on this week, or for any other week probably ever, but I would just like to point out something if I may. I great amount of the show delt with how they were going to prepare for next season. New mechs were being designed, the race schedule was brought out, and at the end the words "We will never leave" flashed across the screen. Which of course means they were lying to us, because we all know there won't be a third season. The whole episode felt like an intro in the next, yet there will never be one.

The only thing that felt like a conclusion was spoiler[Takeshi finally asks out Liz, and they kiss, but even that felt like an intro to next season]

edit:
And oh yeah, Japan just handed Mexico its own arse. Thank you lord.

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
elsie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
It would be nice to add the Funimation block on Colours to the Click list.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Someone_II wrote:
Brian Hanson wrote:
Basilisk and Trinity Blood were both in theaters in the U.S. in April and May respectively and predates the Canadian TV run (July). Razz
Bah! We're talking about TV here. Don't try to brush this off your shoulder US: this is just the beginning LOL!

Last edited by halochief_90 on Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the pick-of-the-week repeat was a simple gaffe; my actual pick was for Appleseed on Encore Action and the Transformers movie on YTV. Alas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Well, I never believed that [as] was out to sabotage their own lineup of anime. That's foolish. Yet, I firmly believe that their constant schedule changing is FAR more annoying than most things they've done.
Yeah, that pisses me off more often that not, especially lately.

I missed the latest Eureka 7 episode precisely because of that; and though IGPX has never been on Adult Swim (it's CN), the same thing happened and I failed to catch just about every episode after they moved it to the death slot. It's slowly getting on my nerves.

Presumably it's their attempt to gain ratings; but honestly, will viewers really come back and shuffle their schedules to match Adult Swim's constant change to catch their favorite shows? I think I gave up in exasperation a while back. At least I can say their shuffling has been counterproductive from my perspective, as I no longer bother to turn to Adult Swim anymore.

Of course, all the rants about Adult Swim Hates Anime (tm) is annoying, too, but that's the internet. People will rant about anything.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Someone_II wrote:

Damn straight. We can add Bleach to our small list as well. Very Happy

hikaru004 wrote:

Oh, that shouldn't really count. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2