• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Dense Destiny

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
It'll be great for Persona 5 to include same-sex dating options; it'll appease both the yuri and BL crowd and show they're willing make progress in their game. Just like when they developed Catherine to be about dealing with adult relationships.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Why does it not surprise me that some of the peoples ideas for Persona 5 have them as adults? That kinda goes against the whole point of the Persona series.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
After this contest ended I had thoughts of Persona 5 being somewhat similar to Ever17 and Virtue's Last Reward, to be honest the idea is incredibly tempting, but I'll enjoy whatever comes.
Cetais

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
It'll be great for Persona 5 to include same-sex dating options; it'll appease both the yuri and BL crowd and show they're willing make progress in their game. Just like when they developed Catherine to be about dealing with adult relationships.
that'S pretty much why I said that in my entry. Smile
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Why does it not surprise me that some of the peoples ideas for Persona 5 have them as adults? That kinda goes against the whole point of the Persona series.
Eh kind of, kind of not.

The Persona 2 series has adults with the 2nd one basically being nothing but adults. So it's not unheard of.

But P3 and P4 are the school jrpg and I think that's part of their newfound popularity. I think that type of Persona really only works in high school. While I'd like a college level Persona, I'm not sure it would really work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I'd be happy with more games with 30+ year old protagonists. I would love to see a game that involves adults who in their teen years were energetic, good-looking heroes. I think Neir touched on this, but I would like to see more stories about what happens after the handsome young hero grows up.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Paul Soth wrote:
I'd be happy with more games with 30+ year old protagonists. I would love to see a game that involves adults who in their teen years were energetic, good-looking heroes. I think Neir touched on this, but I would like to see more stories about what happens after the handsome young hero grows up.

Not Nier Replicant. We only got the Nier Gestalt version. But yeah um, I don't want to see 30+ protagonists, but maybe that's because i'm used to dating sims and Anime-style JRPGs.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
It would be so much better for Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney to come to the West... Having beat the game myself (finished the extra DLC special episodes today, coincidentally), it's both my favorite Layton game AND my favorite Ace Attorney game to date. It carries so much more intensity than usual and the mystery is spectacular! Even the explanation behind the mystery is more believable than the usual Layton reveal. At least, for me. Which makes it a big shame that it hasn't been licensed yet. I feel like it would fare far better than this new Ace Attorney game...

Last edited by Juno016 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
John Parks wrote:
Summon many new multicultural legends as Personas, like Americana's Paul Bunyan and Africa's Grootslang!

As much as I liked my own idea, this totally deserved to win!

Alison Nieves wrote:
Heck, make it so you can hit on anyone, and they react appropriately per your relationship.

This is would be an awesome mechanic, and it really gets at the heart of some of the oversights or compromises in game design. The Ender's Game-ish setting would be similarly amazing.

RyanSaotome wrote:

Persona 3 came out in America six years ago; in that time, much of its original fanbase has grown up. I think having adult protagonists would help those players better identify with the content by drawing on experiences that might seem more immediately relevant, instead of a more iterative approach - "the school jrpg," NOW IN HD w/ CROSS PRODUCT DLC! I'm not trying to put-down anyone who wants such an installment, I just think it would be selling the series short. Still, no matter how familiar Persona 5 may turn out, I'm sure it'll be incredible.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Battle Cossack wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Persona 3 came out in America six years ago; in that time, much of its original fanbase has grown up. I think having adult protagonists would help those players better identify with the content by drawing on experiences that might seem more immediately relevant, instead of a more iterative approach - "the school jrpg," NOW IN HD w/ CROSS PRODUCT DLC! I'm not trying to put-down anyone who wants such an installment, I just think it would be selling the series short. Still, no matter how familiar Persona 5 may turn out, I'm sure it'll be incredible.

In Japan, adults generally don't play video games.. its mainly teens and otaku. Games have always been made for a lower age demographic because of this... its not like America where the average gamer is in their late 20s. JRPG series will always appeal to the same demographics over there.

Its pretty much the reason why people talk about how terrible Final Fantasy is now. Its still being made for teens while adults are playing it.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings about Strider. It's the return of a good classic but why isn't Capcom itself developing it? The same thing happened with Devil May Cry and the reboot had casual gameplay with poor AI (not to mention a social documentary disguised as a plot). Dead Rising 3 is also being developed by a Western team and all the trailers I've watched have been too serious (nothing to do with the ridiculous style of Frank West).

Also, I'm curious about Persona 5. Still, has it even been announced?
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
I have mixed feelings about Strider. It's the return of a good classic but why isn't Capcom itself developing it? The same thing happened with Devil May Cry and the reboot had casual gameplay with poor AI (not to mention a social documentary disguised as a plot). Dead Rising 3 is also being developed by a Western team and all the trailers I've watched have been too serious (nothing to do with the ridiculous style of Frank West).

Dead Rising 2 was also made by a western studio, now owned by Capcom and making the 3rd.

While I agree with the terrible plot of DMC and toned down gameplay, it wasn't really a bad game.

As for why Capcom not making it? I guess they have their internal teams busy on other things and Double Helix pitched something they liked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

I heard Persona 4 was actually going to allow the player date Yosuke but that option was removed. I think hackers managed to find this relationship's dialogues hidden in the game.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
sainta wrote:

Dead Rising 2 was also made by a western studio, now owned by Capcom and making the 3rd.

x_x Capcom was still the main developer for DR2. Keiji Inafune and the other Dead Rising 1 team worked on it, and Blue Castle Games only helped out with side stuff, which is why it still has it's unique charm of the first game. DR3 is entirely western studio with no original team on it with Capcom not involved at all so expect it to not be very good and more serious and shootery. The fact its bein published by Microsoft Studios and not Capcom is a good indication.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a lot of particular desires in regards to the flashier aspects of the game. I trust they'll do just fine there. I just wish they'd smooth out some of the clunkier aspects of the game mechanics.

Firstly, Persona 5 needs to find a way to disperse combat more evenly amid social activities. Since time is precious in Persona, when going to the dungeon consumes an entire day it pushes you to do it in as few sittings as possible. And while I like the combat it definitely gets pretty grueling when I’m doing nothing but for hours on end. And having weeks go by without any combat is rather tiresome as well. I’d much rather be able to just pop in and do a little fighting as often as I like. Or better yet, go a step further and send the player there automatically every day. There are a lot of neat ways you could frame this in the narrative as well, like maybe you’re exploring a world that you visit in your dreams every night. So you’d play through one day, then automatically jump to the dungeon at night and clear a floor or two, then repeat the next day.

This would also fit much better with another mechanic: SP drain. Constantly running out of SP when you’re trying to explore a dungeon is actually a good mechanic in principle. If you could just go home and rest to recover it would be fine. But since you can’t without burning another day it just feels like a nuisance. If going to the dungeon didn’t cost time though this would all work great. SP would serve as a nice natural limiter on the amount of exploration per day. Thus, the player is motivated to keep plugging away at a dungeon regularly because they can only do so much in one day. That’s clearly the play style the game is aiming for. But they totally undermine it when going to the dungeon costs you time. They’re basically punishing you for doing too much in one trip while also punishing you for making multiple trips.

I’d also really like to see a better skill system. Obviously the game wants you to constantly be fusing new, better personas. But the fact that keeping your best skills is a big chore actually discourages that. I often find that, while I could fuse new persona it just isn’t worth it half the time because I’ll lose at least a couple of my useful skills. What they should do is get rid of the random element in selection. Instead, give us a certain number of inheritance points and give all skills an inheritance cost (perhaps with a modifier based on the persona’s affinity for that skill type). Then just let us choose outright. That should still keep things in check and prevent every persona from having every skill but still offer a lot more incentive to develop your skill pool and fuse new personas.

Finally, (and this admittedly is a big one) while Persona 4 took a nice step forward by giving us visually unique dungeons, what the series truly needs is to finally make the move away from randomly generated levels. I want to play a game with the mechanics of Persona but the level design of Xenoblade or Final Fantasy XII. That would truly be an amazing experience. And it would fit so much better with the series’ generally punishing difficulty. Leveling up isn’t fun when you’re just grinding through the same randomly generated dungeon levels over and over. But give us enough content to explore and we don’t need to grind. I don’t want to blow through a dungeon super quick or be able to beat a boss the moment I reach it. But give me unique areas to explore with unique rewards or meaningful side quests to complete and this won't be an issue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2