• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - All of Your Streams

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Increasingly, Japanese rights holders are signing up to become content partners themselves, and putting their own shows up on Hulu, without needing an American publisher to acquire DVD rights.

AHHHH. I was watching an anime film on there just last week, Fuse and I was baffled since I couldn't find any indication that the movie had been licensed in the US so I was wondering how it was even up (could barely find any information on the Japanese staff on it as well but that's a whole 'nother problem).
albanian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Justin (or, as I am terribly British, should that be 'Dear Mr Sevakis'?Rolling Eyes), the very heartiest of welcomes. With absolutely no disrespect to the previous incumbents of the 'Answerman' hot-seat, whose wisdom and experience have been beyond question, I can think of no safer hands in which to place the reins of this careering juggernaut - of which this first column is proof both positive and absolute. And if you can cope with the support of someone who can actually remember when there was a king on the British throne, may I wish you every success for your time in charge.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed the last couple of incarnations of Answerman and it sounds like Justin's version will be just as entertaining. Glad to have you doing this column.

The Hulu vs Netflix question was very interesting. So it also sounds like choosing to watch shows on Hulu could be another way to support a series you like.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't wait to dig into the mailbag and see what questions you'll come up with for me.

Oh, oh! I have one! Can you tell me when the 3rd season of Rosario and Vampire is coming out? Please?

Quote:
YOU might find ¥8,000 a ridiculous price, but that's how much new-release home video has always cost over there, so if you weren't a Westerner who was used to going to Best Buy and walking out with a copy of Transformers 4 for $17.99, it wouldn't be such a big deal.

There's also the concept of "psychic value", or the idea the act of ownership is what sets the price, i.e. A Picasso itself isn't worth 22 mil, but the act of owning one to show off to all your CEO friends... . By making things more expensive and exclusive than necessary, the act of purchasing becomes itself valuable and a status symbol. By decreasing the price of a luxury good you can actually end up selling less.

Also in the mix is that if you lower the price of your product, the consumer will still spent the same amount of money, just not on your product. So in other words, cutting prices will hurt you and help your competition, which generally is a bad idea. The anime market doesn't work like a normal market because overall demand is low while in a small, isolated community it is very high, which generates distortions.

//I totally just made all of that up right now.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Hulu vs Netflix is interesting, and makes me rethink my stance on Hulu membership. As much as I hate the idea of paying a monthly membership fee and still seeing those annoying ads, if they really measure each show's viewership based on ad revenue (regardless of whether the viewer is a subscriber or not), it makes sense. And if Netflix doesn't even let companies know what shows do well, watching shows on Hulu instead seems like a way to communicate with anime companies.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
All I can think of is that considering comments made a scant few years ago (I wanna say circa 2011) I'm honestly impressed if hulu is paying anyone MILLIONS each MONTH. I'm very GLAD if that's the case, but just surprised. Like I said, it wasn't that long ago that streaming was "a drop in the bucket" and of questionable value.
egakiar444

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
All I can think of is that considering comments made a scant few years ago (I wanna say circa 2011) I'm honestly impressed if hulu is paying anyone MILLIONS each MONTH. I'm very GLAD if that's the case, but just surprised. Like I said, it wasn't that long ago that streaming was "a drop in the bucket" and of questionable value.

The way I read it was that Hulu is paying millions each month to anime license holders as a group— If some animes were generating that much revenue individually, that'd be incredible.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Excellent, gonna be looking forward to Answerman every Friday again just like the good old days!

Good to know Hulu is allegedly making money. I'm with HeeroTX, last I heard anything about Hulu and their revenues it sounded like all the big investors/owners were scrambling to get off of a sinking ship. If they are really making millions now, that is a good sign.

I refuse to pay a membership fee and still have to watch commercials, but at least I know that the commercials I do watch when streaming free from them contribute directly to the $$ of the content owners.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Welcome!!!

I'm looking forward to your next column.

Time to sharpen some questions to toss at you.
Etrien

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Great questions, great answers. The difference between Netflix and Hulu was particularly interesting, I didn't know any of that at all. I've always enjoyed Justin's insights and I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of them in the near-future.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
egakiar444 wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:

The way I read it was that Hulu is paying millions each month to anime license holders as a group— If some animes were generating that much revenue individually, that'd be incredible.

Yeah I'd very surprised if a single show or even publisher made that much. I dunno, maybe the big shounen, but others..? It's great nonetheless but I have to presume aside from long/forever running shows, most niche shows still get more from video sales. Also aren't these these royalties then split between local licensee and Japanese licensor? Like Hulu -> Sony/Sentai/Funi/Viz/et. al.-> MediaFactory/Aniplex/production committee..? What is the split, or do they (local licensees) pay an advance for the streaming?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
SWIRLIE FOR THE NEW GUY!
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
SWIRLIE FOR THE NEW GUY!

NO
Meygaera

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
albanian wrote:
...as I am terribly British...

My god, what a terrible affliction!
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Happy that Justin is taking over this column. He has the creds.

Kind of miss answerfans. Maybe you could ask a question that fans could answer in the Talkback, sort of like Mike Toole does sometimes in his column?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6