• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action Patlabor Robotic Mecha Photos Circulate Online

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RTL3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
Interesting... very interesting.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
If they use that prop labor in the movie, instead of just blurry CG, it'll put the movie leagues above Pacific Rim. TBH if they had 2 prop labors used to create a fight scene via stop-motion it would be better than Pacific Rim, especially if they kept the damn camera steady, stopped the unnecessary panning and didn't make the film blurry/grainer than a budget 1970s movie (all things Pacific Rim did).

A while back I was shown an interview with some Thai director of action movies and he insisted that he sought to employ genuine stunts to truly impress the audience and for immersion (not to mention cost savings); "When you see a man on a motorcycle crash through a wall of fire in my film, you actually see a man on a motorcycle crash through a wall of fire in my film." All directors should follow that creed.

CG exists to enhance effects in live action movies (a la Inception) not to completely replace them as it looks like ass when they do.
E-Master

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
I liked Pacific Rim cause it paid tribute to the mecha and kaiju films, sure theres no suit actors in the film, but I'll let that slide cause it was awesome and will develop a fan following for years to come like other del Toro films.
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
I am loving this Mobile Police Patlabor revival in 2013.
naninanino

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:45 am Reply with quote
Can this be for real?
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:49 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
If they use that prop labor in the movie, instead of just blurry CG, it'll put the movie leagues above Pacific Rim. TBH if they had 2 prop labors used to create a fight scene via stop-motion it would be better than Pacific Rim, especially if they kept the damn camera steady, stopped the unnecessary panning and didn't make the film blurry/grainer than a budget 1970s movie (all things Pacific Rim did).

A while back I was shown an interview with some Thai director of action movies and he insisted that he sought to employ genuine stunts to truly impress the audience and for immersion (not to mention cost savings); "When you see a man on a motorcycle crash through a wall of fire in my film, you actually see a man on a motorcycle crash through a wall of fire in my film." All directors should follow that creed.

CG exists to enhance effects in live action movies (a la Inception) not to completely replace them as it looks like ass when they do.
You have to be pretty crazy to think the cg in Pacific Rim looked bad at all.

And you'd have to be crazy to think going with cg is some sort of weakness in a mecha vs monsters focused movie.

But then again, you brought up Pacific Rim in a comparative way in a thread that did'nt ask for it. So it's pretty obvious what you're agenda is here.

Being crazy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Helius

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:18 am Reply with quote
Didn't know they were filming already. From the distance the Labor looks as good as it gets, though if I have to nitpick the vehicles have to be futuristic (yet practical), too, not just the mechs.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:27 am Reply with quote
All happy and excited for a movie unlike I was before. Michael Bay can learn how to make a robot movie from watching this when it comes out.
vinamara

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:45 am Reply with quote
Sweetness. I hope the movie preserves the light comical overtones of the series but considering the two Patlabor movies that Oshii directed were dark as night, I think that's too much to ask.
nhat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:23 am Reply with quote
It's a cover up, JP been mass producing this for preparation of WW3
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:07 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
It's a cover up, JP been mass producing this for preparation of WW3

Not these. They're mass producing Gundams for that.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
That model looks awesome. Wonder who they'll get to play Gotoh and Kanuka my two favourites.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Impressive. Really looks like a Ingram. Luckily they can do cockpit shots from anywhere, because there's no way of actually directly piloting that thing in real life without vomiting all over the place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Kyaah Ingram, you look amazing! Very Happy
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps the overuse of computer-aided sequences could be avoided in a culturally fitting fashion: dressing actors as Ingrams and fighting amidst miniature buildings. Careful calibration of lenses and camera angles would retain an air of verisimilitude.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2