• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Nendoroid Mikudayo

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
For some reason rather than looking like an SD Miku, which all the regular variations of Miku nendos look like, Mikudayo looks like an overweight Miku. Her body just has too much... Girth. Kind of cute but kind of not.
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:01 am Reply with quote
Are you familiar with Nendoroid figures outside of this example? I used to help someone who runs an anime figure website, and I've learned that many of them can have quite a unique appearance. Sometimes it's really endearing, and other times it can come off as quite unusual. I think this particular example leans towards that end of the spectrum.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
I'm somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to figures. I like detail and as much true likeness as physically possible. Abstract does not appeal to me. Even though I am a huge Miku fan, it actually pains me to think of even wanting to buy a nendoroid of her, let alone finding something like the Mikudayo appealing in any way. The original Miku nendo which is getting a rerelease is cute, her face is cute. I might buy it just because I don't want to miss a chance because they might not do another rerelease and I know how fast they sell out. Get where I'm coming from now?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quote
Isn't this the Miku variant used for the "Attack on Miku" graphic that made the rounds a few months back?
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
What an ugly, ugly thing... I wouldn't say a novelty is worth that much.
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I guess I should probably bring up the fact that as big a fan as I am, I actually own more wall scrolls than figures. I really only have one figure. It's of Ayanami Rei from Neon Genesis Evangelion, and I bought it from an antique store that also had a booth selling new anime merchandise. Anyway, though, I guess I'm too much of a perfectionist myself to invest much into non-standard figurines period. Nevertheless I might end up buying a more traditional Miku figure in the future. For now, though, I can't see myself with a Nendoroid at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1