• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: VHS is Back with New Documentary, Rewind This! Exclusively on iTunes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:16 am Reply with quote
Hope they release this in VHS!
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:18 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Hope they release this in VHS!

Exclusive to Betamax and Laserdisk
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
I actually still have a VCR, so I guess that I don't find this quite as unusual as everyone else must. I don't just dump devices because something new rolls around. That doesn't mean I'll buy the Betamax copy though Razz
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
I don't get the hipster movement for VHS. There's nothing technically unique in it like a record or a reel of film, and they're not using industry trade Beta HDCAM and so on. It's significance is all in just being the first medium mass distribution of home video came on.

That said, I still have my VHS tapes of Star Wars. But it's not because they're on VHS.
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Well on one hand I could be called a hipster. I'm into a lot of strange things, I read books no one ever heard of and listen to rock music by bands that have a total of 11 fans on the face of the entire earth. That being said, I keep VHS tapes around merely because I feel that replacing existing things that work with something else before they literally fall apart is wasteful. I don't have any hipster attachment to the format, so I'm in the same boat as you walw. Mind if I call you that by the way?
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
I still miss my VCR. Our household would probably still be using it if it didn't die on us 4 years ago. But I guess it might've better for the better as it kinda forced us to get a Blu-ray player.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
This is interesting to hear about. Well, glad to see a company is willing to release a documentary talking about VHS. Good way to educate future generation about how we used to watch movie before DVD, Blu-ray, and digital download.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:31 am Reply with quote
It's not like VHS was so different that it was a hassle to setup and DVD changed everything we knew about home video. We just had to hit Stop and then Rewind, and sometimes play with the tracking. It's not even close to fiddling with reels of film and a projector, and hell, Laserdisc was already out for most of VHS's run, DVD was just a smaller and digital successor. Funny how tape cassettes never got this second wind of nostalgia even though they were the thing that started mixing and copying for normal people, and 8track only rides on the memories of the 70s Once cars got CD players and iPod/minijack docks, tapes just flat out disappeared. Or if it did receive any nostalgia, it's nothing on VHS.

As for finding VCRs, any Goodwill you come across is likely to possess quite a few of them, and you'll have your pick of brand. And it sounds like some combo players for DVD and VHS are still being made as well.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
And it sounds like some combo players for DVD and VHS are still being made as well.

I think those will continue to be around for quite a while, if only because many people have yet to copy all their old home movie VHS (or just any old particular VHSs they have) onto DVDs.
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
My family actually has a combo VHS and DVD player, as do several households I know. While that might not be exactly a huge sample size with multiple data points, it does suggest that they're pretty popular. When I go to Goodwill for that matter I end up seeing a ton of VHS movies for sale alongside DVDs. They're usually priced to sell, but then again so are the DVDs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1