• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AM Driver, Beet, BtX Dates

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nionel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:58 am Reply with quote
That was pretty quick. I just checked the info on TRSI, and they actually list the second volume of BEET coming out Feb 20th, a mere six weeks between releases, which is the smallest amount of time I've seen between DVD releases for an anime series, outside of two simultaneous releases.
DiamondDust

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:06 am Reply with quote
If they can get their properties out in quick fashion, with decent boxes, and with no Toei-like problems, we may have a new R1 winner. I mean, talk about an unexpectedly strange starting lineup for nowadays...Beet, Bt'X, and AMDriver?!

If done well, this gives me new hope for other older, more obscured shows.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote
Don't really see the point in picking up BtX, when the manga barely made waves here.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:27 am Reply with quote
I saw that & put it in my cart so I'd remember to check into it. I love Saint Seiya & am also reading BtX so I'm hoping that's the right title.
Now if only someone else will pick up the rest of Saint Seiya ADV dropped.
It's one of the better shonen titles, but it's old & everyone wants new stuff. It's so sad to see people go on about Samurai Troopers when they could be watching Saint Seiya.
Nionel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:33 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Don't really see the point in picking up BtX, when the manga barely made waves here.

Well, Illumatoon's site says they're looking for titles that will be easily placable in the US market. So, my guess is that BtX, I don't really know much about the show, is something they're going to try to market to one of the US broadcasters for a TV run.
RedComet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I submitted something that made the news. Smile
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Ha, now they have two shows called "beat".

This is something I certainly wasn't expecting to see come over here, but I'm glad that it has, and I hope they do a good job handling it. Getting stuff on TV seems to be a priority for them and this is a show that would likely be right at home on Toonami or some such block. I've seen about half of the series and it's a pretty fun shonen show.
GATSU wrote:

Like that's a guarantee that the anime will fail?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Captain: I'll admit I'm surprised that the St. Seiya manga is still being published, in spite of the tepid reception of the anime, but I'm not sure if there's a real demand for the author's work.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:49 am Reply with quote
I'll admit I'm surprised that the St. Seiya manga is still being published,
As much as I enjoy DBZ, I prefer Saint Seiya. No, the BtX manga isn't as good, but it's interesting enough. THe problem is Saint Seiya which aired at the same time as DB & ran 114 eps wasn't brought over at the same time as DBZ, so now there are dozens of newer, hotter shonen titles to choose from. No one wants to bother with Saint Seiya. Considering the recent Hades Chapter stuff & the manga, there is still interest in Japan in Saint Seiya
Just because Seiya didn't catch on in the US doesn't mean it's not a good title. The import shop I frequent stock lots of Saint Seiya merchandise because Saint Seiya is popular in Mexico & we're 30 minutes from the border. I mean, he stocks the $50 figures & they sell. I bought a 5-piece Hades chapter set($20), figuring I'd go back in a couple weeks to pick up a second set for my daughter-all gone. I snagged the last set of the 2nd batch of figures when I was dropping by the place on a bi-weekly basis which obviously suggests the 2nd set sold out in 2 weeks or less. And I get lots of comments at work about my array of figures on my computer
Just because CN (ADV?) alienated tons of anime fans with that highly butchered version they called Knights of the Zodiac & Viz was insane enough to go with that title for the manga(though I notice they're pushing it as Saint Seiya also now) doesn't mean some of us didn't give the uncut version a chance. You have beautiful young men fighting for honor & truth, often going down fighting-what more could one want? Part of becoming a Saint obviously gives one a couple extra pints of blood because these boys bleed like there's no tomorrow (like anyone bought that "He's losing mystic energy!").
And BtX has some great VA's. I've been wanting to see it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:04 am Reply with quote
St. Seiya just seems to be bigger in Latin America than N. America. I personally feel disappointed that the Go Nagai stuff caught on better there than here. But it happens, I guess.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:35 am Reply with quote
I love Go Nagai also, but if I had to choose, I'd go with Saint Seiya over Go Nagai. I happen to like Go Nagai's guys (like I like Masami Obari's guys). His plots can be repetitive. Seiya's art runs from attrocious to breathtaking (his proportions can be off regularly, but then one turns the page to something framable), but the story & characters make one want to see where it's all headed
It's a result of the sci-fi fandom anime came out of-largely dudes. (speaking as a 46 yr old chick who has been into sci-fi most of her life & eyes the drooling fanboys for yrs). Saint Seiya has a great story, but we don't get the naked chicks fighting like Go Nagai gives the audience. Not to disparage young men, but a lot are not opposed to naked buxom lasses fighting for all their claims they're watching for the story. (That's why they have Lara Croft poster on their wallsm huh?) On the other side, I will admit I can tell you every bathing scene in Saint Seiya (nicely drawn rears & chests). Go Nagai is more manly men fighting(Devilman is men as devils/heroes fighting an uncaring god representing arbitrary destinies, etc) while Masami Kurumada falls more into bishonen/beautiful youths fighting for an honorable cause they believe in with all their hearts & usually dying young.
Seiya is also, sadly, paying for someone's marketing decision back there that whoever brought over DBZ, Sailor Moon, Ranma, etc, never bothered with Seiya. One sees all these people fondly remembering Ronin Warriors or Samurai Troopers, but when I was in my local bootlegger's shop once, they were playing Seiya & some guy commented he never realized how much Samurai Troopers borrowed from Seiya, although he'd always heard it had. Because Seiya wasn't presented with other popular titles of the day, it will probably never catch on in the US because the art is on par with DBZ & other titles of the day. I'd love someone to pick up the rest of Seiya, particularly the Hades stuff which might help spread the word about Seiya, but I'm not holding my breath.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1