• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shonen Jump Japan Series (Not on ANN)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:31 pm Reply with quote
If not, then it'll be harder for the new jump series to get in the database, Sad
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
SO does it really not help when the sources are in Japanese?

I said it's my preferred way didn't I?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I'll be sure to use it in the future (wish I had discovered it sooner though).
The Japanese Shogakukan site seems exellent, and I especially like the fact that they give previews and make it easy to navigate (even for someone like me who has almost no knowlege of Japanese). I usually just go to the IKKI Comix or Big Comics sites to check out if there are new titles by authors I like though.
Kodansha's english site is definitally exellent, but unfortunatally they really don't update anymore. Still, there's enough content on there to warrent a extended look by any english-speaking manga fan.
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:06 am Reply with quote
So if I submitted the new mangas and linked the japanese popjump site they have a good chance of getting accepted?
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Heh...forgot I even posted in this thread! Embarassed

dormcat wrote:
jgreen wrote:
I would think that featuring all manga that's available in North America would not only be more manageable, but it'd also that information on those series would be more readily available.

Quoting myself:

dormcat wrote:
I'd like to see ANN spending more resource on increasing manga titles rather than on US-licensed manhwa titles, unless ANN wants to become a website focusing on North American licensing information -- something I don't want to see it happen. After all, this is an Encyclopedia, not a 'Licensing Information Database.'

Chris is not American (although Canadian releases are usually covered by "North American" licenses). Peter is not American. I am not American. Last and not least, anime and manga are not American.

Well, obviously I'm aware of that. I suppose my assumption was that since this was an English language site that there's a certain amount of logic in making sure that any manga or manga that is available in English is included in the database, be it available from a licensor in North America, Great Britain, or elsewhere. After all, any casual anime/manga fans that browse at their local bookstore can come across one of these series and wonder "what the deal is" with it (admittedly, Chronowar was kind of a bad example, as Dark Horse published that, like, 8 years ago and never collected it, thus, it's not in print right now).

Let me make clear I'm not trying to change your priorities or anything, I just found it curious and an interesting topic to talk about, nothing more. I thought I'd point out what my own would be, were I in charge (and be glad I'm not, as then it'd never get updated Wink ) but just for the sake of killing time at work, here's how I'd do it....

1. Manga available in English
2. Manga that are based on/the basis for an anime available in English
3. Other manga by creators whose work is available in English
4. Manga which are considered "classics" even if they aren't available in English (all of which, I'm sure, are already listed at this point, but if I were building from the ground up blah blah blah...)
5. The newest "hot" manga in Japan that is destined to be exported
6. Everything else

Thoughts? And just curious, are most of the visitors to this site from North America, are they pretty evenly distributed worldwide?

dormcat wrote:
A question just for you: should I consider P no Higeki less important for the Encyclopedia than a newly-licensed manga created by a rookie manga-ka? Wink

Of course not, it's available in English. Wink

God, I loved all those Rumic Theater/World stories. I wish the current US manga anthologies were more like Manga Vizion in highlighting series with one-shot stories and rotating books in and out by story arc. Those were the days....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
So would it be okay to submit Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro and Muhyo to Rouji, because they both have official sites? I submitted them with unofficial english, sites because I thought they'd be better. I also think Shinsetsu Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo should have a page. It is the sequel to Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo. I doubt it'd be mentioned on Wikipedia if it didn't exist. I mean..who would just make that up? o_O (I've seen untranslated scans of it anyway)

http://jump.shueisha.co.jp/muhyo/
http://jump.shueisha.co.jp/neuro/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinsetsu_Bobobo-bo_Bo-bobo
Selkie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:59 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
jgreen wrote:
HUH! I wondered how you chose what books to put into the encyclopedia. I'm surprised, actually, that priority 4 isn't priority #1.

Those were my personal priorities. They are not site policies nor strictly enforced. Just a reference. I might change or even violate them in a case-by-case basis.

jgreen wrote:
I would think that featuring all manga that's available in North America would not only be more manageable, but it'd also that information on those series would be more readily available.

Quoting myself:

dormcat wrote:
I'd like to see ANN spending more resource on increasing manga titles rather than on US-licensed manhwa titles, unless ANN wants to become a website focusing on North American licensing information -- something I don't want to see it happen. After all, this is an Encyclopedia, not a 'Licensing Information Database.'

Chris is not American (although Canadian releases are usually covered by "North American" licenses). Peter is not American. I am not American. Last and not least, anime and manga are not American.

A question just for you: should I consider P no Higeki less important for the Encyclopedia than a newly-licensed manga created by a rookie manga-ka? Wink

fighterholic wrote:
My question would be when do you decide to put a title into the encyclopedia? Cause I know that I heard you guys have to do a lot of background checking and all that.

1. When I have free time. Don't laugh; I do this out of passion, not need. I do need a day job to support myself.

2. When a reference is handy. If you have been monitoring "recently added titles" you might have noticed a "surge" of new approvals on Sep. 1st and 3rd, partly because I have just bought the newest issue of Dengeki Daioh, two issues of Megami, combined with several Newtype and Animage issues bought last month. Having them sorted out for you is easier than switching between multiple tabs in Firefox.

Occassionally, when I deal with an error report or a new submission I might bump into an information treasure trove of another title, whether already included in the Encyclopedia or not. In that case I might spend extra time on it. For example, a recent error report on IWGP made me revise cast/staff info and the relationship tree of all four adaptations.

Super Ska Master wrote:
This confuses me why Jaguar isn't in the encyclopedia, because theres lots of evidence it exists.

First, it's buried within hundreds of other submissions. Second, it's not a highly visible title that I'd learn its existence even if I haven't been following Shonen Jump for quite some time.

I've approved it (another user submitted it months before you did, though). However, I really don't like giving an impression that "pushing an Encyclopedist through the forum can get titles approved faster." That would be like opening Pandora's box. Rolling Eyes

You're probably sick of us picking the submission qualifications to death, but I want to be clear on something. I noticed that this site has some information on manhwa that has been released in English.
(For example, Kill Me, Kiss Me and Zero/Six.) However, somewhere you said that you would prefer that this site not be filled with the latest English releases of manhwa, which I completely understand. So, my question is, should members only submit well-known and "popular" manhwa, or should we not submit any at all? If the former is the case, what qualifies as popular?

Thank you for your time.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:54 am Reply with quote
Selkie wrote:
You're probably sick of us picking the submission qualifications to death, but I want to be clear on something. I noticed that this site has some information on manhwa that has been released in English.
(For example, Kill Me, Kiss Me and Zero/Six.) However, somewhere you said that you would prefer that this site not be filled with the latest English releases of manhwa, which I completely understand. So, my question is, should members only submit well-known and "popular" manhwa, or should we not submit any at all? If the former is the case, what qualifies as popular?

Thank you for your time.

I don't approve manhwa or "world manga," nor I take care of North American releases of them, not to mention that users can't access manhwa / world manga through alphabetical lists. If a reviewer writes a review for one then another Encyclopepist will take care of the Encyclopedia entry along with release information.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2