• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media to Release Ranma 1/2 Anime on BD/DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xScar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for Monster! The original run had a normal trim size and lacked color pages. Hopefully this will be much like their Pluto and 20th Century Boys release, in page size and with color pages included. Will definitely be rebuying this when it comes out. The binding of my volume 1 is starting to come apart :\ I can also finally recommend the series to my friends again. Certain volumes were already pretty hard to find as soon as Viz originally finished the series up.

Considering "Perfect Edition" pretty much a direct translation of "kanzenban," I'm hoping they also look similar to the Japanese versions.

Does anyone know if they showed a picture of what they might look like? July 2014 is a bit of a ways off, though, so I know it's probably unlikely...
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
ZOMG RANMA ON BLURAY!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

*dies happy*
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
guess it's time to finish watching Ranma. I think I stopped around the beginning of season 4
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
The Ranma BDs look really good, but it also gets so bad after season 4 that I don't want to rebuy it. If they could just rerelease the OVAs since those are the only things I don't have, that'd be great. That and the Johto seasons of Pokemon.

getchman wrote:
guess it's time to finish watching Ranma. I think I stopped around the beginning of season 4

You picked a good time to stop, to be honest. Once the principal is introduced and Happosai gets more screen time it just putters on for the rest of the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
I can't wait for Monster! The original run had a normal trim size and lacked color pages. Hopefully this will be much like their Pluto and 20th Century Boys release, in page size and with color pages included. Will definitely be rebuying this when it comes out. The binding of my volume 1 is starting to come apart :\ I can also finally recommend the series to my friends again. Certain volumes were already pretty hard to find as soon as Viz originally finished the series up.

Considering "Perfect Edition" pretty much a direct translation of "kanzenban," I'm hoping they also look similar to the Japanese versions.

Does anyone know if they showed a picture of what they might look like? July 2014 is a bit of a ways off, though, so I know it's probably unlikely...

I hadn't purchased the series when it was originally released stateside so I'll absolutely be picking it up in this new Perfect Edition format!

Quote:
Viz Media streamed the anime series, but has since let its license to the show expire.

This just breaks my heart. More than anything I want to own the anime; I think the music and voice acting added so much to an already incredible series.
My hope was that Viz was testing the waters by re-releasing the manga, but with the license no longer theirs I'm not sure...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I began to actually hate the show and only finished it because I'm a completionist like that. Happosai episodes appear more and more frequently, and his actions and behaviors line up with a sociopath rapist quite well. There are good episodes in the Ranma TV series, but there's far too many bad or average ones. I have no idea why people favor this over Rumiko's other old series, probably just because it was the one that arrived here first and got the most exposure so it accumulated the most nostalgia.
SHODAN93

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this will pave the way for a rerelease of Maison Ikkoku. Also yay, Monster reprint!
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
This is great, I was missing a few random volumes of Monster and they're all OOP now so I can finally complete the collection! Very Happy
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I never got around to reading Monster, but now I'll have no excuse. I feel kind of bad, though, for anyone who paid premium prices to cobble it together since it went OOP.

Ranma on Blu-Ray should be an interesting proposition. If memory serves, the DVD transfer wasn't all that great (I might have to dust off the DVD's and take a look), so I wonder what sort of materials they'll have to work with.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow, great news! I'm not sure Ranma 1/2 really works for blu-ray but it's good to see it back(I have many friends I've introduced the show to who will be thrilled). More importantly, for me, is the re-release of the manga. I'm glad I didn't start prowling the internet and local stores for used copies of it. If this DOES lead to a re-release of the OVAs I hope they'll license the 2008 Rumiko Takahashi celebration Ranma special as well.

Also, the Monster anime is one of my favorites and, despite this manga news I doubt it will spur Viz into re-aquiring the license and finishing it's anime releases for it, so I might as well buy the original format, the manga.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Ranma on BD, awesome!
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait...they only got the TV series, so far, so why is the article showcasing the second movie? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kuron3kosama

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
And here's my unlikely-to-be-fulfilled wish that they finally use a more accurate translation in the subs for Ranma. The DVDs, annoyingly, only had dub-titles.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
How about the Ranma 1/2 Video Jukebox?

Ranma was the one that got my whole dorm hall interested who don't watch anime before, even borrowing the CD soundtracks. Laughing
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Definitely good news. Man, this is awesome! I love Ranma and I was holding out on a re-release instead of tracking the out-of-print DVDs. Glad I did Now that I have my blu-ray player, I can now add this show to my collection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4