• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime characters that should be in jail.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
There's suspension of disbelief, and then there's "Okay, he can't do that in the normal world without getting arrested."

Any Anime Pervert- Most of them attempt most forms of voyeurism and sexual harassment. You also have the dirty old men that molest underage girls, like Master Roshi.

Stein- Soul Eater- He beats Black Star to a bloody pulp for cheating, tries to dissect an endangered bird, and him drawing incision lines on Maka looked pedophiliac.

Haruhi Suzumiya- 'Nuff said.

Naru Narusegawa- Love Hina- This woman defines 'Domestic Abuse.'

Kogoro Mouri- Detective Conan- If Naru defines 'Domestic Abuse,' Kogoro defines 'Child Abuse.' He does this in front of the police, and nobody questions the possibility of a hostile living environment for Conan and Ran?

Holland- Eureka Seven- Unlike Kogoro's abuse, which is played for laughs, Holland's abuse towards Renton is played straight. However, like Kogoro, people rarely call him out for it, and there's no real consequences for his actions. Not to mention his affection for Eureka is kind of creepy.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Anime characters don't need the police to remedy antisocial behavior; they already have a parliament.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Unless it's for comedic purposes law enforcement in anime usually only exists if the show is about law enforcement. In such cases they'll usually use excessive violence, drive around in tanks, use guns that blow you into chunks if your crime coefficient is too high or even have grenades hanging from their ^%& to kill you instead of arrest you.

If ever cops in anime DO arrest somebody it's a super villain who can easily escape (usually killing THE ENTIRE FORCE in the process) or they're just traffic cops who will write you a ticket and call it an episode.

It reminds me of a fan-made Ikkitousen ani-mayhem card
http://imgur.com/sA5xHBu which poked fun at how people in school fighting series get beaten to the point of being hospitalized and the cops are nowhere in sight.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:31 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

You want to arrest a god?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:57 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

Any Anime Pervert- Most of them attempt most forms of voyeurism and sexual harassment. You also have the dirty old men that molest underage girls, like Master Roshi.

And Bulma, for indecent exposure, hit and run and public urination. And all women are underage compared to Roshi, except for Baba.

Quote:
Stein- Soul Eater- He beats Black Star to a bloody pulp for cheating, tries to dissect an endangered bird, and him drawing incision lines on Maka looked pedophiliac.

Black*Star and Maka, both murderers.

Quote:

Again, murder, just wasn't Haruhi who did it. Truly, 'Nuff said.

Quote:

No, what defines "domestic abuse" would be either "marriage" or "family". "Assault and battery" but she's got spunk, I like spunk.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:25 am Reply with quote
Haruka Nishida from Kanamemo, unfortunatelyspoiler[ she was only questioned by the police] and learned nothing.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:40 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

Not much argument from me on this one. That being said, sex crimes are drastically underreported in Japan, and even those that are reported don’t often end up with the assailant serving any jail time. I’d say it is about a 50/50 chance that the old guy would end up in jail, and even then that is probably a rather generous assumption.
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/29/world/victims-say-japan-ignores-sex-crimes-committed-by-teachers.html

Quote:

I’ve watched all of the Haruhi series that has been animated and I can’t think of a single incident that would result in her definitely being arrested. Bullying and harassment among Japanese teens is quite common, and even if the incident is reported the most likely course of action would be for the school to expel the assailant. Heck, up until the last decade there was a serious problem with Japanese teenagers killing other teenagers and receiving only very minor sentences. Teenagers who killed other teenagers would often only be expelled from school, or they would be put into a year-long rehabilitation program.

The boob grabbing is also not a huge deal between Japanese girls, especially when they are in the onsen or sentou. I remember having a pillow-chat with a Japanese girl about this subject once. Basically, she said that while it isn’t happening all the time, girls like to horse around with each other by grabbing each other’s boobs. Also, she specifically stated that since most Japanese girls have small boobs, when they have a friend with big boobs they tend to grab at her boobs more than normal.

Even with something like the blackmail incident, the probability of Haruhi getting anything more than a slap on the wrist is highly unlikely. Of course, there is a very small chance that her actions could be dealt with by the authorities, but the odds of nothing happening are still vastly in her favor. Seriously, the messed up hazing I’ve seen Japanese guys do to each other would have had them all arrested if they did the same things to each other in America. For example, during “hell week”, I saw a freshman pinned to the ground and sodomized with a kendo sword, guys pressured into performing oral sex on each other, and guys having their genitals covered with cologne and then set on fire.
Quote:

Yeah, the odds of Naru being arrested for her constant assaults on Keitaro are highly unlikely. Honestly, the police would probably laugh at him if he called them.

Last edited by GeminiDS85 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:02 am Reply with quote
Hibiki Amawa from I My Me Strawberry Eggs.

Dressed up as a woman, hanging around the female dorm and almost getting into an affair with one of his pupils, he was stepping on thin ice.

Plus the two other perverts who kept on peeping on the girls when they were going to bed.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:49 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

Dressed up as a woman, hanging around the female dorm and almost getting into an affair with one of his pupils, he was stepping on thin ice.

You'd think that but student/teacher affairs/relationships/marriages are common in anime, the odd part is that it didn't happen here. I don't know if it's true about Japanese culture itself, really don't want to know.

The first one's really not an issue and the second one is certainly ok.

I have a feeling the cast of Haganai should be locked away for something but I have no idea what it is exactly. Does "For their own good" count?

Let's see what'll stand up in court:

Contributing to the delinquency of a minor
child abuse
child labor
child ... uh, let's say "bad touch".
underage drinking
assault
stalking
sexual assault

And while Kodaka didn't do any of this, he got the rep/rap for it.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:22 am Reply with quote
While the thread is a bit "wry so sirius?" there was one that came to mind immediately.

Terada(sp?)-sensei from the Cardcaptor Sakura manga. spoiler[You go on a date and give a promise ring to a kindergardener?] NOPE.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:11 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

You'd think that but student/teacher affairs/relationships/marriages are common in anime, the odd part is that it didn't happen here. I don't know if it's true about Japanese culture itself, really don't want to know.

I know it's quite common in anime, which does not make it legal Smile
I do not think it is an integral part of Japanese culture as such, although I suppose cases like that happen every once in a while.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
Well, naturally all of the principals of Noir should be indicted on multiple counts of murder, probably with additional charges for performing murder for hire, conspiracy, breaking and entering, trespassing and other miscellaneous charges. Mireille and Kirika were generally shown only to kill ostensibly 'deserving' victims, but they were still killing people for money. Chloe and Altena have even large potential rap sheets.

Given that Mirellie and Kirika lived in France while Altena and Chloe lived in some indeterminate nowhere land in the Pyrenees (I think), but they committed crimes in the United States, Japan and several European countries, it would be a godawful jurisdictional snarl to try to sort it all out.

You could probably extend this to one degree or another across Madlax and El Cazador de la Bruja too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I imagine that many tsunderes a guilty of being common scolds, but I fear that punishing them would create a ducking fetish.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukiyomiAkiko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Why did no one mention Sugou Nobuyuki, or Oberon, from SAO? Evil or Very Mad
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
TsukiyomiAkiko wrote:
Why did no one mention Sugou Nobuyuki, or Oberon, from SAO? Evil or Very Mad

because he is in jail
RichardFromMarple

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I know Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is almost totally crazy but many of the regulars get up to some dodgy things, stalking, phone trolling on a grand scale, poisoning, GBH (& worse!) with a spade, anally probing dogs with sticks etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3