• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fall 2013 Season: Preview and Anticipation.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ignatz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:43 am Reply with quote
Fall 2013 Anime Chart

Things I look forward to:

Nagi no Asukara: The PV alone makes me very interested. The background art looks gorgeous.

Kyoukai no Kanata: KyoAni employ some fantastic animators and they’re superb at keeping up a crisp and consistent animation quality, but they just keep making these very simple slice-of-life shows. Here's hoping that this time it will be something more ambitious.

Pupa: Now THAT is what I call a strange setting! Don't know much about this one, but I'm definitely going to at least check it out.

Sakasama no Patema: Finally! I hope no more delays. The setting of this movie is absolutely amazing! The people behind it are also very competent (I mean, who doesn't want to see another anime from the creator of Time of EVE?).

Last edited by Ignatz on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:49 am; edited 9 times in total
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:54 am Reply with quote
I think Coppelion was meant to be aired around the time then the tsunami hit Japan (?)- I remember being interested in it then, so I see they are releasing it a few years later.

Samurai Flamenco and Gingitsume look quite all right as of now.

Some of the premises sound quite lame, but you never know. I will be waiting for the first episodes to come out and then see whether there is anything worth seeing.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quote
I'm moving back into the city in September, which means I'll finally be able to watch some of the new shows again, hurrah!

From the list, KILL la KILL gets my attention, for some reason. This one could be really dumb but could also be enjoyable.

Galilea Donna has a premise interesting enough to get my attention, though we don't really get much info from the chart.

I like the sound of the first Samurai Flamenco tagline. Can't really say much more about that though and the second one is less exciting.

Coppelion also sounds interesting, though I can see why they would delay releasing it near the tsunami.

And, of course, the Madoka movie. I too am a bit hesitant about a continuation, since the series stands alone quite well, but I'll definitely give it a shot.

Other than Madoka, I don't see anything that I would consider a must-see based on premise alone, so I'll definitely be eagerly awaiting the first reviews.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote
Not Watching:

Diabolik Lovers - For some reason, I get a sense that this show is going to be another one of these fetish shows that we have seen for the last few years, only this time with a reverse harem twist. If that weren't enough, the title is abysmal. Who comes up with something like that? Diabolik Lovers???

Kikou Shoujo wa Kizutsukanai - Another of these "male protagonist with skimpily dressed (or undressed) young female dolls who he controls and uses for some kind of fighting" shows. At a minimum, this theme is getting so old that I will probably be bored out of my mind, whether or not the doll concept offends me in this particular iteration.

Watching:

Magi Season 2 - Yes, yes, and more yes. I've raved quite a bit about the first season, so there's no way I will miss out on the second one.

Gingitsune - I love these shows dealing with mystical creatures interacting with normal people. I loved Our Home's Fox Deity. I even enjoyed Kanokon. Given that this show also involves a kitsune interacting with humans, I am sure I will enjoy it.

Yowamushi Pedal - Yes, it is just another example of a new sports anime, but for some reason I kind of like the idea of competitive bicycling. I am envisioning Initial D on bicycles. Sounds fun.

Kyoukai no Kanata - The intro sounds interesting (a character who can manipulate blood? am sure it will make for some unique scenarios), and I am really digging the character design of the main girl from the promo picture. I will watch.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
I never judge a show based on it's preview premise because I've found them to be misleading or outright wrong too many times. Heck, many animes don't even make their premise entirely clear in the first episode. I'm gonna wait until closer to airing when the people who've read the novel/manga/VN start talking about the premise.

Also because I've seen it mentioned elsewhere too making weapons from blood isn't new but it's also not anything recent. Midnight Detective did it and I doubt it was the first.

I don't think I saw Unbreakable Machine-Doll on that list, which is one I thought was actually in the summer season. I had it mixed up with Fantasista so you could imagine my "huh!?" expression when I saw the first ep of that. LOL. Ah, memories of back in the day and friends and I talking about Guyver and the teacher thinking we were talking about his favourite show McGuyver and trying to join in.

For continuations I'm going to be checking the new Magi, IS, Freezing and Valvrave because I liked the s1's enough to care but IS is on a slippery slope with me (despite my massive love of mechamusume, or possibly because of it) so I suspect it'll be the first s2 I drop in a long, long time. I'm also sort of expecting Magi to crap out on me but I also consider it far less likely.

For movies I'm all about Madoka and Kara no Kyoukai but many of the others look cool. I'd be skeptical about the Madoka movie but that show had a flawless staff (it was a 99% dream team to me)

Speaking of Gen I thought Expelled from Paradise was also fall 2013. I guess not:(
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote
The new episodes to Terra e... interests me and that's all. I will keep an eye on the comments when the first episodes air to see what is good.

Because I find the title Pupa hilarious, I went ahead and read the first chapters of the manga. Nothing extraordinary. It tries to shock and the plot moves forward quickly, but the characters are bland and uninteresting and the drama feels forced, the first chapter is a puny attempt to make readers feel sorry for the characters, I don't like how it tries too hard.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
Also because I've seen it mentioned elsewhere too making weapons from blood isn't new but it's also not anything recent. Midnight Detective did it and I doubt it was the first.

Deadman Wonderland had this too (and I always appreciated that spoiler[using too much power/blood did lead to characters feeling faint).]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
This season preview seems amazing compared to the summer 2013 preview.

Sequels I will be watching:
IS Infinite Stratos 2
Freezing Vibration
Kuroko no Basket
Valvrave

Read some of the manga, will be watching:
Golden Time - I love anime about college life.
Kikou Shoujo wa Kizutsukanai
Tokyo Ravens

New shows I will be watching:
Nagi no Asukara- A undersea school seems interesting.
Log Horizon - SAO clone?
Non Non Biyori- Well it looks like this is going to be the only moe all girl cast show, so I will be watching this.
Strike the Blood
Coppelion
Walkure Romanze
- It looks similar to Princess Lover
Galilei Donna- I hope there is a lot of action since the 3 girls are on the international wanted list.

Shows that I will give a couple of eps:
Outbreak Company
Kill la Kill
Aoki Hagane
Kyoukai no Kanata
Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga
- I probably will end up watching this since the concept sounds ridiculous.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Looks like a much better season this time. Hopefully that prediction ends up being true.

Going to start, and am at least somewhat excited about:
Kill la Kill: should have interesting animation, if nothing else.
Valvrave: I really liked the first half, will be continuing for sure.
Coppelion: seems like a really cool and unique idea
Yozakura Quartet ~ Hana no Uta ~: I can barely tolerate the stupidity of the story of Yozakura quartet, but Ryo-timo is directing, and like Hoshi no Umi, it looks like we're in for some amazing animation.

Going to start, tentatively so
Galilei Donna: I might like it if the story goes somewhere, as opposed to not, which it look like it also runs the risk of
Neppu Kairiku Bushiroad: it's a non moe original. That automatically makes me somewhat interested.
Kyousougiga: the 1 shot thing a couple of years ago was interesting, if not good. I want to see where this goes.
Pupa: might be stupid horror, but hey, it looks like it's trying to be serious, which is more than can be said for most stuff.

movies and other stuff:
I'm interested in that Terra e footage
Want to see Akito the Exiled as a general statment
Also Sakasama no Patema.
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Kill la Kill:Because with Sushio as chief AD,and Imaishi as as director this will have some crazy animation.Not to mention that Nakashima said how battles will be even more insane.I already count it as good anime.
Samurai Flamenco :This stuff looks awesome and it has great director working on it.Kurata has written some very good fun sci fi so I trust him too.
Galilei Donna:Visuals seem very restrained for Umetsu anime and A-1 Pictures is known for putting out some very cheap looking shows.I feel that when they finally reveal the scriptwriter I will know whether I am on board or not
Neppu Kairiku Bushiroad:Kinema Citrus always puts out top notch visuals,I think they wont fail us this time.I am not familiar with scriptwriters work on games,but he did fine for episodes for Gargantia.A lot of people are now saying this will be a TV movie,which makes me even more interested.Also Masami Obari repeatedly said on his twitter that he is working on an anime released in fall ,and how he will save 2D mecha animation.This might be that anime.
Gundam Build Fighters:Honestly the only reason why I will be watching this is because of animation that will most likely be great and again Obari might be working on it.
pupa:I have read a bit of manga and I remember thinking how its just horribly written and horribly drawn piece of shit.However the director is Tomomi Mochizuki who is very talented fellow that even directed Ghibli anime.I have hope that they will change the story a lot.
Yozakura Quartet ~ Hana no Uta ~:The original anime was just forgettable piece of mediocrity,while Ryo-timos OVA kicks living ass!Granted it still is Yozakura Quartet so it has some problems with story and such but I thought that even that improved.So yeah cant wait to see more of this eye candy.
Kyousougiga:I think director of this show posses traits that I am sure none other TV anime director has.She is not only woman(which is rare in anime industry to see,and amazingly young (she is 28 years old now which for an anime director is REALLY young),she is also amazingly talented.The original OVA was great and it touched upon many ideas that I felt werent explored enough ,I think this is great chance to do that.
Coppelion:I had some issues with trailer for ones I find filters that GoHands uses to be very annoying ,and characters also had these thick lines reminiscent of Attack on Titan that provided jarring contrast with background.The animation still looked great and source material is good,I heard that trailer incorporated scenes from volume 10 which would indicate that this is 2 cours show.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, Persona 3 movie! I liked 3 a lot more than 4, and I always thought it was a shame 4 got the anime series but 3 didn't get one. But the movies will probably look amazing, so I look forward to it!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Fall of 2013 looks like a very promising season to me. It's the most immediately appealing season thus far. That doesn't mean that there won't be disappointments, but I think that enough of what I'm hopeful about will pay off and there seems like there's room for some happy surprises.

Kill La Kill: This clearly just wants to be cool as Hell and I feel like it might succeed. The art looks really cool and I'm a sucker for badass female characters as this promises. The premise is nothing special, what with the schoolgirls and all, but I have a certain degree of confidence in the studio and creative team.

Galilei Donna: We have little information about this series and it doesn't look obviously like something that I'd enjoy. However, the premise hints that it could be a good caper story and I have considerable fondness for Yasuomi Umetsu, who just might be in his element with set-up. I'm a little leery, but I think that I'll give it a chance.

Coppelion: This series makes me curious because of the rough path that it took to air, having first been announced in September of 2010, then buried after Fukushima Daiichi. The characters look pretty respectable and the trailer was unexpectedly cool. I think that there's something that could be a little interesting in this and that it could be at least entertaining otherwise.

Pupa: I almost forgot that this existed, but I'm glad that it does. It has a twisted, gruesome premise that messes around with normal expectations for what's cute or heroic. I am so down with that. Jason Thompson was disappointed by the source manga when he wrote about it, but I'm willing to take a chance on the animated adaptation paying off.

There are other titles that might catch my eye, but those are the obvious choices for me. I'll probably also watch one show of a kind that I would never watch, just for the experience and maybe another random show, just on a gamble. Whatever comes, for now, I'm pretty excited for fall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Nothing on that list looks appealing for me, making this this 5th consecutive list and not get "that feeling" for a show or two.

This is very disappointing. I know it's not wise to judge a series based on its cover art or its... uh, description, but judging by the few comments I've seen of shows in the past, my hunch seems to be doing a good job.

I hope this passes. I do intend to check out a few shows streaming on CR (they're in my queue), but first, I must muster up the energy to be disappointed, if mildly entertained.

I miss that feeling of "Oh, I've got to see this." Anime cry
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Will watch:

Samurai Flamenco: NotimainA so that's an immediate +1. Original project and characters who are actual adults is two more immediate +1s. But also a really solid staff. Good Director. I've at least liked all of his work. Writer has done a lot of junk but also did Now and Then, Here and There so evidently he's capable when he brings his A game. Manglobe is the studio so it'll surely look great.
Probability of Success: A

Galilei Donna: Again, noitaminA. And a completely strange premise. Haven't seen a lot of the director's work (and he hasn't done a lot of directorial work) but I loved his segment on Robot Carnival. Less confident in the studio although one could do far, far worse. At least their stuff is usually well executed for what it is. Will wait to hear more staff before I get super excited but otherwise looks like a solid prospect for now.
Probability of Success: B+

Coppelion - I'm always a little wary of anything that feels the need to be about highschool girls despite not having any real reason to do so. But still, looks solid. Sounds like it'll be straight action/sci-fi which is a definite plus. No staff info or even a studio gives me pause though...not just in regard to it being bad but in regards to it never actually getting made. I mean, they've been pushing this one back for years.
Probability of Success: B- (If it actually gets made).

Pupa - Cool premise. Gorgeous artwork on the chart. Don't know if the show will actually look like that but still it gives me hope. DEEN seems like they've become a bit of a dumping ground in recent years so that doesn't bode well. Then again, I'm one of the few people who actually likes their work from the mid 2000s and I'm a huge fan of the director's previous work on House of Five Leaves. Plus, it sounds like a lot of the critiques of the source material go to sloppy art and bad dialogue which can be fixed easily with a better anime staff.
Probability of Success: C+

Kill La Kill - Well I'm sure this will be visually exciting. Will it do anything story-wise? I see no real reason to think so at least at the moment. Although if it can at least be tolerable unlike Panty & Stocking maybe it'll be worth watching.
Probability of Success: C

Apeggio of Blue Steel - Interesting premise. Trailer looked alright. Bit of a bloated cast worries me though. And possibly my single least favorite writer active in anime really torpedoes (har) my enthusiasm. Oh and the studio has only ever done CG work which both leads me to question their 2D ability and to think this will have a ton of awful looking CG.
Probability of Success: D

Anyway, that about covers what I'm gonna watch. Just a few shows I won't watch that I want to go ahead and recognize though:

The Squick Award: Diabolik Lovers for most blatant tandem of sadistic rapey overtones and female oriented fanservice.
Runner Up: Freezing and it's combination of cute fanservice girls/horrific violence, sadism and degradation continues to exist.

The "trend I'm most sick of" Award: Shows about otaku like Outbreak Company. Cause apparently it isn't enough that this kind of thing appeal to otaku, it has to actually star their little subculture (or some dumb idealized version of it anyway).
Runner Up: Vampires. F*** Vampires. *Looks at Diabolic Lovers* Damn it. I didn't mean that literally.

Unintentional Honesty Award: Kikou Shoujo. Might as well just cut to the chase and instead of actual humans, make the girls puppets that exist for the entertainment of their male creators.
Runner Up: Tesagure. "Several cute female students do extracurricular activity" is no longer just a dismissive summary of a sub-genre but an actual show unto itself.

Most Generic Thing Award: Tokyo Ravens. A supernatural action show about students with powers and oh god I think I blacked out there for a second.
Runner Up: Tesagure again. It only doesn't win because I assume they'll pick a specific activity at some point.

The "This is not a premise for a show" Award: Miss Monochrome. She's a vocaloid thing. And she moves merchandise. Green Light that shit!
Runner Up: Meganebu. Close race. Very close race. But I guess the guys in Maganebu could at least like...go to the optometrist or something? Or maybe the big twist is that one gets contacts? Then the rest of the group gotta set him straight. But not too straight. If ya know what I mean.

The Slight Positive Progress Award: Golden Time. A show actually set in college instead of highschool. Color me shocked. Still a romantic comedy which never bodes well. But at least it's something!
Runner up: Fewer Harems. I mean there are a few still but it seems like less than usual. Although maybe I'm just imagining it.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
As mentioned, Fall is shaping up pretty nicely and there are a good handful of shows I want to watch.

Sequels:
Kuroko no Basket 2 and Magi 2 are in my definitely-to-watch list. I'm up to date with both mangas and I know there are a lot of exciting things to come; spoiler[Winter Cup, with the beautiful rematches of Seirin vs Shuutoku and Seirin vs Touou] for KuroBas and spoiler[Magnostadt and a lot of growth for Aladdin] for Magi

Will definitely watch

Both noitaminA shows, Samurai Flamenco and Galilei Donna sound interesting, the concept art for the former looks pretty cool and the story for the second one sounds really interesting -the Historian in me goes crazy whenever some famous historical figure is used and reinvented for any sort of medium. I wish we had more info on Samurai Flamenco because I love the wacky title and I'm really looking forward to it

Kill la Kill looks like it'll be the "cool" show of the season. The character design looks great even if the premise isn't that attractive, I'm really excited to see what Trigger will do

Meganebu just because I actually like megane boys and I don't really care if there's much plot or whatever. Cute guys doing cute things? Bring it on

Will give it a try:

Pupa: The artwork for those covers looks amazing. I'm shallow enough to be attracted to the series just because of it and I'll definitely check it out

Kyoukai no Kanata: I like the idea of a female main character getting the cool powers. The promos look gorgeous too. Also, KyoAni is on my good side recently, so I'm willing to give it a go and see if it clicks.

Coppelion: Not much to say, it sounds interesting and I like the color scheme. It could be great or it could be disastrous, so I'll give it a few eps to see where it'll go

May check out if I can

Kyousougiga: I haven't watched the original OVA but I've heard good things about it so if there's a positive reaction to this one, I'll check it out

Log Horizon: Maybe it's SAO 2.0, hopefully it's better than that. If all I see in people's reactions is "Well, there goes SAO once again" I won't even bother checking it out

Strike the Blood: Character design is a bit bland but the story sounds cool. If it's not really fun I'll ditch it in a flash

Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai. I really like this concept of strong girls fighting each other in a shonen-like style but if it gets too fanservicey "my-boobs jiggle while I kick you" shit, which the artwork suggests, it's out.

Since all my current shows are ending (except for Saint Seiya Omega) I'll have a lot of free spots to fill with the new Fall anime, which is great because there are so many of them that sound interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3