• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Edits Fullmetal Alchemist

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimani

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Censorship is not acceptable. I am done with the FMA Manga and I will sell the ones I bought.
bluepita

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I tend not to agree with censorship, especially about religious material, but I couldn't begin to care about this. I think it was a silly edit, but would that one thing change how I feel about FMA here in the USA?? I doubt it.

The question I have is how many of the people here upset about it have done anything about their complaints? (I mean this seriously, not in a sarcastic manner.) While I personally don't agree, many here seem to find this offensive. I've seen one or two posts of people who have e-mailed Viz and a couple who seemed to really be sincere about boycotting. Does that mean for the most part, people will just complain and take no action?

As someone pointed out earlier, Viz is a company out to make money. The only way something like this would stop is if Viz takes a substantial hit in profit AND knows why. You want it to stop? Mobilize a large group of people to stop buying all Viz products. Let them know why. Get in touch with groups who protest censorship and ask for their help, not just in this manga but with censorship in all manga and anime. Work hard enough to make sure that other groups across the nation join you. At this point, you have hit business profits, the company knows why, and it becomes a public event. That's what the people who caused this sort of edit do, with a few ticks to make it for censorship. Instead of complaining about Viz and the way the other side does things, do it yourself. It's proven to work or those edits wouldn't be there.

And, damn, why do so many here complain about soccer moms?? Today after I get done watching Haruhi, I'm going to take my daughter to soccer practice, talk to a soccer mom whose husband is a rock musician, and then probably talk to another about what clubs she went to recently, as her phone rings with some hard rap ringtone... It's funny how it works, but soccer moms are just like everyone else. I think the people you mean to complain about are those who get active in making the country the way they want it, while we (yes,I am including me) sit back and whine about it, instead of doing things ourselves.
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Huh....

Never noticed that before...

*casually goes back to reading*
Strategos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Pointless edit. This is absolutely ridiculous. If someone is offended by this then they shouldn't buy the manga (I'm Roman Catholic and this in no way offends me). This was just done to please the religious right, PERIOD. North American and Canada standards my ass. BULLSHIT VIZ.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Because censorship will always exist. For everyone who whines about it there's another who'll whine if it's not done. Some people aren't so selfish to believe our ideals and our point of view are the only ones out there and if you want people to co-exist happily then you have to meet somewhere in the middle. It sucks, but it could be worse, and the bottom line is no effect from the scene is lost as a result of the change so frankly I could give a rats *** about the edit. Sure, we can whine about the oversensitive people that get offended easily, but others can equally whine about the oversensitive people that blow such a minor thing way out of proportion. You see, in the end you're just like the people that created the problem, it's all just a bunch of oversensitive selfish people that believe their way is the only way.

LOL for accusing me of trying to censor censorship.

Yes, I'm just like the people who create the problem. Er, except I didn't censor a piece of art and damage its artistic integrity.

Try to keep up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
[NewType]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Posting a follow up after my earlier post and after over 100 peopled posted after me. I'm not pissed at this because I'm some 'weeaboo' as someone earlier stated and got the word from an incredibly OVERPLAYED meme. I'm pissed because I don't agree with many kinds of censorship. Censoring stuff on TV is fine by me as anything on there would in most cases have an uncensored DVD release or be shown uncut on different channels. But the only uncensored alternative for this is the Japanese version which not everyone could understand. Also, you can read translated scans obtained from the internet... but I really like reading a book anywhere and not on a computer and also supporting a series too. I know that this edit doesn't affect the story and all that but who knows what they'll do in the future if something comes up in future volumes. If Viz makes some statement saying they will make no more edits to at least future releases of FMA I will definitely let this one slide and continue purchasing if that happens but who knows.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Anyone care to jump on the bandwagon to ask the mods to close this idiotic thread that is full if n00bs who think they know what the hell they are complaining about? I mean seriously people, get over it. I'm surprised you aren't boycotting FUNimation for changing the FMA episode titles completely for their dubbed versions.
MezzoFan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
Anyone care to jump on the bandwagon to ask the mods to close this idiotic thread that is full if n00bs who think they know what the hell they are complaining about? I mean seriously people, get over it. I'm surprised you aren't boycotting FUNimation for changing the FMA episode titles completely for their dubbed versions.

That's not editing, that's adaptation.

It's an edit because the content was altered in such a way to change the religious connotation of the scene. It's SUPPOSED to have a religious connotation... and changing the image removes that.

They might as well have changed the 7 Sins to the 7 Naughty-things-to-do.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:16 pm Reply with quote
MezzoFan wrote:
Deacon Blues wrote:

That's not editing, that's adaptation.

It's an edit because the content was altered in such a way to change the religious connotation of the scene. It's SUPPOSED to have a religious connotation... and changing the image removes that.

Adaptation is still an edit. You are adapting one thing into another thing which is more often that not something entirely different. Who cares if it was changed, it's a one page plot point. There are plenty other of religious elements to oggle over in the entire series. Dwelling on one won't solve anything.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think its cool Viz is on the same level of Al Queda in some aspects about destroying art that "may" be ofensive to a hand full of religous zealots. If any Christians are actually ofended by this, I'm more than glad I revoked by Christianity long ago.
MezzoFan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
Adaptation is still an edit. You are adapting one thing into another thing which is more often that not something entirely different. Who cares if it was changed, it's a one page plot point. There are plenty other of religious elements to oggle over in the entire series. Dwelling on one won't solve anything.

But unlike edits, adaptations aren't made to censor works, they're made to make them understandable to the audience/readers.

This is censorship. They felt the scene was "too controversial" for American readers, so they changed it. For what reason? How is a scene resembling crucifixion any worse than the other religious references in the series?
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Well, I think its cool Viz is on the same level of Al Queda in some aspects about destroying art that "may" be ofensive to a hand full of religous zealots. If any Christians are actually ofended by this, I'm more than glad I revoked by Christianity long ago.

First the Holocaust and now terrorists? Ho shit! Somone call Homeland Security! Viz translators and artists are all Al Queda cells! Omg! My manga has been wiretapped! Ah! Help me Tom Cruise! Use your witchcraft to put the fire out!

Some other wonderful points I think are appropriate for the way this discussion is heading: a). if Viz wasn't doing harmless little edits like this they could be facing the prospect of harmful big lawsuits from psychopathic religious groups and rabid soccor moms, and b) most people are in fact Normal and not Insane Anime Fascists who make impoverished mobs in Syria look tame, so this probably won't be a problem for the vast majority of people anyway.
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:53 pm Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
I can't believe people are getting so worked up over a minor edit in FMA when there's worse edits in manga like Tenjo Tenge by CMX...

Besides the fact that Tenjo Tenge blows, that's CMX. They've pretty much responded to the public outcry by saying they're not changing anything. We're hoping that perhaps Viz will come to their senses and stop this. I can understand boycotting Viz, it's getting hard to trust them especially when they start doing things like editing Midori Days when it's almost finished. Makes me afraid to start any Viz series for fear that I'm going to be screwed over. In my opinion censorship of any kind ever is unacceptable.
MezzoFan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
a). if Viz wasn't doing harmless little edits like this they could be facing the prospect of harmful big lawsuits from psychopathic religious groups and rabid soccor moms

Oh please. If they think they'll be skirting a lawsuit by editing out a crucifixion scene in a series full of faux crosses, magic symbols... let alone the story being about a pair of brothers who tried to use "magic to bring their dead mother back to life"... they're absolutely insane.

Deacon Blues wrote:
b) most people are in fact Normal and not Insane Anime Fascists who make impoverished mobs in Syria look tame, so this probably won't be a problem for the vast majority of people anyway.

That's the kind of mentality they're hoping for. The kind that just takes whatever is given to them and never voices their opinion or takes any type of action to show disapproval. What they're counting on is for people to be ignorant of the edits or apathetic enough to buy it anyways.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Hi. Someone needs to wake up.

Corporations don't care about something small and trivial like this. It's the same with Tokyopop and Gundam/hack/whatever. Fans complained about things, they didn't listen. They never have and they never will. Hell, Gundam fans complained to Bandai about the subs on the Zeta Gundam DVDs as well as 'defects' in the discs. What did they do? Denied replacements. This is hardly something worth noting for them that could hurt them. If they changed a characters sex around, then I could see that being a major problem.

Quote:
What they're counting on is for people to be ignorant of the edits or apathetic enough to buy it anyways.

Well, considering this volume of the manga came out on July 18th, nearly two months ago and went relatively un-noticed until some wonderful moron told this site to make a huge deal about it, I think that it's over and done with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 27