• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CPM to Release Anime Online

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kushiel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote
w00t!

CPM's taking a step in the right direction - it'd be great if other companies followed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Prices range from $9.95 to $19.95 for purchase and $1.99 for a 24-hour "day pass" for videos ranging from under 1 hour to over 2 hours in length.

Well at least someone is trying to move into the next century. Out of the title I saw there I wasn't really all that interested in too many. I wonder how many people are actually going to purchase ($9~$19) and who are going to buy the 24 pass.

Because 2 dollars to rent an anime is a hell of a good deal. Your local Block Buster/Hollywood Video charge around 4-5 dollars.....although you do get 5 days, but how many times do you watch that movie multiple times? I can't wait to see if other companies will try to do the same thing. I always figured that Itunes would be the program, but oh well.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Geez, what a heavy news day.

I wish they gave you a full quallity 30 second clip instead of a low quality one.

But yeah this should be a step in the right direction. Just not sure if there up for any risk at this point though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:03 pm Reply with quote
It's still cheaper and more convenient to buy the DVD or online rentals like Netflix and RentAnime if you are in Region 1. You have to be connected to the internet to view copyrighted movies using Google video and you can only use the Google video player for copyrighted material.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I suppose this is a step in the right direction, though I think allowing free streaming of the first few episodes would be better to combat situations of "I'll just DL a few episodes to preview... ah well, may as well DL the whole thing." EDIT: Actually, CPM actually doing something other than re-releasing old anime at lower prices is more significant news than this online distribution thing.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Either they've been removed, or they're not available to Australasia... I get no matches when I click the link. Subsequent searches also yielded no results.
mskala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:38 pm Reply with quote
If it's free of DRM, then I think it's a good idea and will use it. If not, I don't and won't. It's that simple.

Last edited by mskala on Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm just on my own Island because I'm not crazy about google video. Don't like the interface, etc. The thought of shelling out cash to that isn't appealing. I like what Jetstream is doing and would like to see that built upon... But this is the time to experiment with "interfaces" of possible distribution. Good move for CPM.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Didn't CPM lay off all their staff? Who's running the show back there?
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I also think that they are taking a step in the right direction. Now they just need to add more series, like Bandai's Anime Village. I believe Anime Village was the first service to offer downloadable for a little sum of money and some On-Demand Streams for less. Not to mention they do free streams of Eureka 7. Either way, this is good. It's always good to have more services like this available.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote
But they need to put an age restriction on some of those clips. I clicked on Scorpion's Revenge and... OMG! Shocked

Then, I clicked on Zero Woman: Dangerous Game and... Shocked Shocked Shocked

Don't they know how to create a general audience trailer for these titles?! X(
CochraneO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:53 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

The laid off most, but not all, of their staff, according to this and this (among others). Obviously some folks are still employed there.

Good to hear some good news coming out of CPM. If they can't get it together to put out new releases, at least it's nice to think they're finding new revenue streams for their existing catalog.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

They totally shut down their manga section. I am eternally bitter about that.
BRING BACK FULL HOUSE!
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:59 am Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
They totally shut down their manga section. I am eternally bitter about that.

No one who I know who used to work there is there anymore - although granted, most of the people quit before the massive layoffs when they saw that the place was going downhill.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I suppose this is a step in the right direction, though I think allowing free streaming of the first few episodes would be better to combat situations of "I'll just DL a few episodes to preview... ah well, may as well DL the whole thing." EDIT: Actually, CPM actually doing something other than re-releasing old anime at lower prices is more significant news than this online distribution thing.

i agree. its what there known for. i bet with you itll be 2+ years or never before they license a new title. Or pull a star wars and rerealease utena several times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2