• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime OK'd on G4TechTV Canada

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Okay, since I really don't have a firm grasp of CanCon, could you explain to me why they had to go through this red tape?
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:04 pm Reply with quote
So by "dramatic programming", they mean what... 2 more episodes of Star Trek 2.0 a week?
LordOfPie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:10 pm Reply with quote
G4TechTV Canada is not the same as G4 USA. Namely, I hear their programming sucks a lot less on the whole.
ryujin jakka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Am I understanding this right?

The goverment told them how much anime they can show?
Someone_II

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:34 pm Reply with quote
ryujin jakka wrote:
Am I understanding this right?

The goverment told them how much anime they can show?

Not exactly. Every network in Canada is generally dedicated towards airing spesific content (ie: YTV to youth programing, Teletoon to animation, MUCH to music related programing, MTV Canada to talk shows, etc). Before now G4TechTV has been limied [almost] entirely to airing shows that are technology related, now it seems to be allowed to air dramitic programing.

Another thing to note on the topic of what the government limits our is Canadian Content (or CanCon) which is requiered to cover 60% (?) or so of a networks schedual.

Edit: some networks are allowed more verity, but for the most part...see above.

LordOfPie wrote:
G4TechTV Canada is not the same as G4 USA. Namely, I hear their programming sucks a lot less on the whole.
I've never seen US's G4TTV but I've heard that Canada's rather resembles the old TTV b4 the G4 merger.
ryujin jakka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
what if they showed something with out it being part of there normal programming?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow good to hear that folks up North are going to be getting some anime from their G4.....meanwhile I am still stuck with this terrible waste of a channel know as G4, (USA) btw if possible can you (G4) air another 4 episodes of star trek a day? That would be great.....ya.....ok....thanks.
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
btw if possible can you (G4) air another 4 episodes of star trek a day? That would be great.....ya.....ok....thanks.
*L* Can't get enough of a good thing huh? Razz They pretty much filled up Saturday with nothing but Star Trek. That's... not a bad thing if you consder the other shows they got on there. Ed the Sock? WTF?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:07 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
*L* Can't get enough of a good thing huh? Razz They pretty much filled up Saturday with nothing but Star Trek. That's... not a bad thing if you consder the other shows they got on there. Ed the Sock? WTF?

You know what you make a point.....there is some bad programming on G4, I think the only shows I tend to watch are Cheaters and Cheat...strange how that worked out huh?

I really just can't believe that G4 has abandon anime completely, I remember their Anime unleash block had several shows that I eventually ended up purchasing......And what happened to Attack of the Show? I miss the old cast so much.....
SomeWhiteGuy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:41 am Reply with quote
Ok, somehow I'm getting a little angry here. But I think I just may be misunderstanding something.... So like, does this mean TV stations don’t have the freedom to show what they want? They are regulated by the government? They have to get an OK from the government before they show something they want to on their station? Somehow,,, that just seems a little nazi.
Ghola

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:19 am Reply with quote
The idea behind the CanCon regulations is to give Canadian artists, writers, producers, directors, studio's etc.. a bit of a head start in the Canadian market in the face of the all consuming US market directly to the south of us.

It applies to TV, Radio and even print media. (remember split run magazines?)

While I admit it's occasionally annoying, since all I ever seem to hear on the radio is Nickleback and Theory of a deadman, it's mostly sucessfull.

Otherwise we'd all be watching Fox. Anime cry

Basically its' an extention of foreign ownership laws that limit foreign investment in corporations that's jsut extended to media content.

And it's not not just a Canadian thing, most countries have similar laws limiting the availability of foreign media.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Ataru wrote:

You know what you make a point.....there is some bad programming on G4, I think the only shows I tend to watch are Cheaters and Cheat...strange how that worked out huh?

I really just can't believe that G4 has abandon anime completely, I remember their Anime unleash block had several shows that I eventually ended up purchasing......And what happened to Attack of the Show? I miss the old cast so much.....

Different audiences. G4 is trying to target the Spike TV twenty-something crowd. That means making fun of, not pandering to, the anime loving crowd. It's also why G4 makes fun of anime on a daily basis (Back when they were owned by TechTV, X-Play made fun of anime games, but for the most part, left the shows alone. Now you're lucky to go 5 minutes without Adam or Morgan going into an anime sucks rant)
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
It's also why G4 makes fun of anime on a daily basis (Back when they were owned by TechTV, X-Play made fun of anime games, but for the most part, left the shows alone. Now you're lucky to go 5 minutes without Adam or Morgan going into an anime sucks rant)
BS. One thing, not every 5 minutes, every day, or every other day. Maybe once or twice a week, deal with it.

The other thing is X-Play reviews games, not the show it based on. If they get an anime game to review and blows, they aren't going to cave in to fans and tell them it's great, 5 out of 5 game. If it's blows, they will let every one know it blows, even if they don't understand the show. While their reviews has comedy in them, they are "Burtally honest."

EDIT: Cleaned it up abit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1