• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Removes Titles from Online Exclusives

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smoochy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Thank god for that. I was not looking forward to having to get Dragon Head through their website.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"This program is a work-in-progress and we pride ourselves not only on innovation and being trendsetters ... but also on our ability to listen and respond to feedback from our partners. The books above have been removed from the program based on suggestions from retailers whose opinions we value."

In simple English: Our fans were really upset that we did that, and we don't want to upset our fans......so we have to give them what they want.

Good to see Tokyopop is listening to the feedback of the people who keep them in business, I wasn't interested in any of the items on that list....in fact I don't buy any manga from them....but I do buy their (Hack/otogizoshi)novels.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

Last edited by Deltakiral on Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
rowsdower

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Dragon Head's been on the shelves of my workplace (Barnes & Noble) for a couple of months now. Am I missing something here?
Reno-chan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
^
They were going to pull some of their poorly selling titles from bookstores and only have them available for purchase online, along with some newly released titles. A bunch of consumers and retailers raised a stink, and now some of the titles they were going to pull from store shelves will still be available at brick and mortar stores.
rowsdower

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Reno-chan wrote:
^
They were going to pull some of their poorly selling titles from bookstores and only have them available for purchase online, along with some newly released titles. A bunch of consumers and retailers raised a stink, and now some of the titles they were going to pull from store shelves will still be available at brick and mortar stores.

Ah, I see. For whatever reason, it sounded to me like those titles had always been online-only. I guess that's what I get when Dragon Head is pretty much the only Tokyopop title I read and I just plain don't follow TP news.
Seca

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:45 pm Reply with quote
The only title I'm interested in is the next two Slayers novels, which looks like I'm going to have to pick up from the TP website still. I would really much rather be able to go to my local bookstore and just pick them though.
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Simple business dynamics, it wasn't working. If I'd had to get my manga titles directly from them, I too would not have been happy.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Props to them for actually listening to the fans, which is a rarity among American comicbook and manga companies. Now that all this fuss is over, hopefully people will actually buy Dragon Head (yeah, it wasn't the only online exclusive, but it's certianly one of the few truely great titles TP publishes).
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
To be honest I haven't been able to find Dragon Head in the bookstore to begin with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
In simple English: Our fans were really upset that we did that, and we don't want to upset our fans......so we have to give them what they want.

Kagemusha wrote:
Props to them for actually listening to the fans, which is a rarity among American comicbook and manga companies.

But they didn't say they listened to fans at all - they said they took suggestions from retailers:
Quote:
The books above have been removed from the program based on suggestions from retailers whose opinions we value.

So a better translation would be something like: Fans on the internet lack credibility - but when we upset the middleman we know we've screwed up.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I think that Tokyopop has a good idea. Online exclusives generate more income for them and help bring more attention to titles that won't sell as well in the B&M. More income for them hopefully means more titles released.

B&Ms had exclusive releases of FMA movie and Inu Yasha Movie 4 and you didn't see the online retailers or fans screaming "It's not fair!"

Go for it, Tokyopop!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1