• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: MPD-Psycho Licensed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Sweet. Great series. Anyone else read it?

Hope it isn't edited.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Naiomi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Licensed by who? Kinda odd that a licencing announcement was made with no mention to which company would be releasing it.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, my best guess would be Tokyopop or Dark Horse.

But yeah, weird no licensor was mentioned. Or where this news came from...

Not exactly my kind of violent manga, but more stuff like this licensed is a good thing. Let the world be desensitized towards mature manga that isnt yaoi >.>
/me wants Koroshiya, Freesia..
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow sounds like an interesting title, perhaps I'll pick up the first volume when it is released out here.....it so strange that before I could barely ever read part of a manga but now I am really starting to get into them.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
barbapapa wrote:
Hmm, my best guess would be Tokyopop or Dark Horse.

But yeah, weird no licensor was mentioned. Or where this news came from...

Not exactly my kind of violent manga, but more stuff like this licensed is a good thing. Let the world be desensitized towards mature manga that isnt yaoi >.>

I'd think Darkhorse, but they still haven't released the manga-ka's Kusosaki Corpse Delivery Service, which makes me wonder.
As for the actual manga, good news. I hear you about rather having something like Ichi or even The World is Mine licenced, but it's a fun, insane little read.
godakame

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:39 am Reply with quote
Suprise, suprise. I read 3 volumes of mpd, and liked it quite a bit, glad to hear it was licensed.
barbapapa wrote:

I second Freesia, but can't really see anybody licensing it. And Koroshiya frightens me.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:42 am Reply with quote
godakame wrote:
Suprise, suprise. I read 3 volumes of mpd, and liked it quite a bit, glad to hear it was licensed.
barbapapa wrote:

I second Freesia, but can't really see anybody licensing it. And Koroshiya frightens me.

Both are Shogakukan titles, and I doubt Viz is interested in going that direction with their Signature line (especially with Ichi, which is rather dense and complex in addition to being one of the most graphic manga ever released).
barbapapa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote
godakame wrote:

It's not really about seeing it happen. I just want it.
Heck, if MPD can get licensed... Even those have a shot.

But, like Kagemusha mentions, I'm not sure how hard they are to get licensed when you're not Viz.
I heard from Andrew Cunningham over at the AoD forums that Shogakukan doesn't have the rights to The World is Mine, so that's up for grabs. Maybe Viz or Shogakukan wont care enough about those titles to let them go. Lets hope.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I heard from Andrew Cunningham over at the AoD forums that Shogakukan doesn't have the rights to The World is Mine, so that's up for grabs. Maybe Viz or Shogakukan wont care enough about those titles to let them go. Lets hope.

I don't think Shogakukan really cares so much about holding the US rights to something like The World is Mine as much as other companies don't want to deal with them. A title like that is never going to sell very well in the US, so it wouldn't be very smart to go through the trouble of licencing it from a company who traditionally hasn't dealt with US companies outside its own subistaries. In any case there are other titles I'd rather see in english aside from Ichi and TWiM (like those author's newer titles like Homonuculus or especially Ki-itchi).
barbapapa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:33 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:

I don't think Shogakukan really cares so much about holding the US rights to something like The World is Mine as much as other companies don't want to deal with them. A title like that is never going to sell very well in the US, so it wouldn't be very smart to go through the trouble of licencing it from a company who traditionally hasn't dealt with US companies outside its own subistaries. In any case there are other titles I'd rather see in english aside from Ichi and TWiM (like those author's newer titles like Homonuculus or especially Ki-itchi).

No, you misunderstood. Shogakukan doesnt even have the rights to TWiM in Japan anymore. Don't ask me about the details; but sales were probably so lousy that they just let them expire I guess.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:17 am Reply with quote
FREESIA!!! FREESIA!! ICHI THE KILLER!!

we need those!! about time the Us publishers realize there are too much goth/girly manga around.

Man, Ichi the killer is a great comic, not for the weak of heart or the inmature one, also I would suggest a great title from the same creator:

HUMUNCULUS, if you want psychological manga without so much "in your face" violence, that one is a great title.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:56 am Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:

HUMUNCULUS, if you want psychological manga without so much "in your face" violence, that one is a great title.

Homunculus is definitely something the world needs more of.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:52 am Reply with quote
The World is Mine is being released in Japan in five mammoth volumes with quite a lot of new and corrected pages by EnterBrain, through the BeamComics label.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Koroshiya Ichi is brilliant...I hope it gets licensed, though I honestly can't picture it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't really get Dark Horse. They have problems picking up titles like Gantz, but they'd license an obscure manga, just because of the Miike connection?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2