• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga Licenses Kou Yoneda's Saezuru Tori wa Habatakanai

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Ah man! Ah man! Freaking yes! I adore this manga! It is messed up and beautiful! So freaking happy, however is it in print? They never announce their digital manga guild stuff (always a surprise when I go to their site and see titles I want but don't get in favor of 'will go out of print' titles and items. The beauty of digital, it all gets put on the will get later list.) The article didn't specify (or maybe I missed it, big possibility). Plus I thought they had announced that they weren't getting anymore yaoi titles this year. Still happy about it, let's just hope there's no prolonged delays that they've been so good at these past two years. (And also that one chick isn't translating it. I can't remember her name at the moment- which is odd since I shake my fist toward it quite often- but her work is always awkward like Your Story I've Known.) Still happy buzzing about this announcement. Yay!
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
This looks interesting. I've sorta getting a Fifty Shades vibe from the cover. Course I think Fifty Shades is crap, but this could be good. Wonder if they'll announce an English title soon?
PansyWansyLinsy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
Oh man, seems like DMI won the war for this one. Saezuru has a huge following in the BL community, so it was always a matter of when and who would get the licensing rights. I always assumed it would be suBLime because they've been pretty aggressive about acquiring titles as of late - well, at least more so than DMI anyways. DMI has all the signs of a sinking ship when it comes to yaoi lately. All the delays and the unavailability of their titles on other bookseller sites made me (still does, in fact) question their commitment to BL.

It also frustrates me to no end that I can't buy from other sites like B&N over their akadot store which sells at full retail and at [relatively] high shipping prices. Availability dates for almost all of their new yaoi titles on amazon or bn are unreliable. I thank the stars that it was Viz that got Crimson Spell.

As for Saezuru, I'm rather ho-hum about it overall. S&M themes are quite possibly my least favorite tropes in yaoi and Kou Yoneda has been hopelessly slow with her releases. I get the feeling that it'll be years upon years before we see even a couple of printed tanks.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:12 am Reply with quote
This is great news, but the real question now is, will they only license one book at a time like they do with everything else? It is so frustrating to get into a series knowing that there's a chance you'll never get the rest of it because DM only licensed the first two books or whatever and won't pick up the rest until years later. If we're lucky.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:38 am Reply with quote
I absolutely adore Yoneda's series so this one getting an actual print release makes my whole month.

NTAA is excellent, I've yet to read Kanjou Spectrum but I hope it gets more than an e-book release too.

Thank you, DM!!
falloutgal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
sakuragtin wrote:
(And also that one chick isn't translating it. I can't remember her name at the moment- which is odd since I shake my fist toward it quite often- but her work is always awkward like Your Story I've Known.)

I just went to look up the translator for Your Story I've Known and what do you know, it's the same one I perpetually shake my fist at too. Alas, there's a good chance she'll be doing it since she seems to translate most of Digital's BL titles, including their previous Yoneda title, No Touching At All. I also saw her name pop up in a Sublime book, Blue Morning - that didn't seem to read so bad to me so perhaps she's improved? Anyway, since it appears that Sublime and Digital use some of the same translators, I suppose it makes little difference who got the license.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
^ The first two volumes of Private Teacher weren't bad but the third volume was, Border wasn't too bad either just some spots but Your Story I've known was incomprehensible in some parts. Your right, No Touching At All had problems with dialogue too, which is a damn shame just like the rest of them. I think SuBlime editors might actually bother rereading the work before they ship it off to print so they can catch the awkward conversations prior, Digital Manga just doesn't seem to care enough anymore. I really hope that's changing, but if not, I'm still getting quality goods from SuBlime. They won my heart with the Fujisaki Kou and Sakae Kusama.
niastyle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I am so happy to see this title licensed, but beyond disappointed to see that DMP got it. Only God knows when we'll actually see this book in print, and if they will even continue the series once they start. I am so tired of them licensing a series, putting out the first few volumes and then stoping. So those of us who are into the series, never get the rest of the story. Titles like Kurashina Sensei's Passion, and one of my favorites, Border.

I really wish Sublime had licensed this one. They do a much better job with their print and digital titles. And they are a lot more reliable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1