• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Forums have been modified

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4KrapSucks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Riyousha wrote:
Without the colors and size button, how will we live like this.

You seriously need to lay off the forums for a while if the size and color buttons are a required asset of your daily life.

Yeah, I agree. Kind of like those guys who sit around all day ogling fully-clothed cartoon women. They really need a life.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
Aw man, I wish the old format was back. Without the spoiler tag, people will be spoiled by tagless ones. Without the colors and size button, how will we live like this.

Since changing your avatar isn't avaliable anymore? Does this mean I'm stuck with this avatar forever?

We should really PM tempest to bring back the old format, the avatar-changing section, spoiler tags, color tags, and size-font tags.

I have a feeling the format we are in is just temporary. I can't imagine them actually taking away such options.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
The "missing" reply button is because we removed the threaded view. It was a part of the threaded modification as it was necessarry to know what post a person was replying to when using threaded.

The threaded mod was very buggy, not only in its own features, but in the way it affected other pieces of the forum. We weren't aware of very many people using it, but perhaps if there's enough demand, we'll bring it back (or a different implementation that does the same thing, without so many bugs) at a future time. Perhaps when we upgrade to phpBB 3.x

The spoiler tag will most likely be back very soon.

I'm not sure why the font size and color tags are gone, but if I may say so myself, good riddance. Most people did not use them appropriately.

Avatar changing was most probably a bug and will be back soon.

FYI: This wasn't a "format change" but rather a complete deletion and re-instalation of the forum software (while maintaining the existing database). It had just become too messed up following countless upgrades (all the way back to phpBB2 beta) and buggy mods (like the threaded view mod).

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I have a feeling the format we are in is just temporary. I can't imagine them actually taking away such options.

Hopefully.

I'm just glad I remembered to look in this forum to see if anybody else had the same problem I did before I went and started my own thread about it. It's quite odd. I also notice that as I'm typing this post the Subject box is empty at the top of Post a Reply thing on this page. Is anyone else having that problem as well? Also, it doesn't tell me what topic I'm viewing. It usually says "Anime News Network Forum Index -> Bugs & Technical Questions -> (thread)". Anybody else experiencing that?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
Also, it doesn't tell me what topic I'm viewing. It usually says "Anime News Network Forum Index -> Bugs & Technical Questions -> (thread)". Anybody else experiencing that?

Yeah hopefully they will fix that. I get up and away from my computer a lot, and when I come back knowing the title of what I may have been typing or repiling to is important.

spoiler[Testing]
edit:
Also there is no titles on the index page either.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
it doesn't tell me what topic I'm viewing. It usually says "Anime News Network Forum Index -> Bugs & Technical Questions -> (thread)".

I'm glad it;s gone - I kept clicking the wrong link ad reloading the thread rather than returning o the forum. Still, it is now had to tell what thread you are in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bluepita

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:06 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:

It's quite odd. I also notice that as I'm typing this post the Subject box is empty at the top of Post a Reply thing on this page. Is anyone else having that problem as well? Also, it doesn't tell me what topic I'm viewing. It usually says "Anime News Network Forum Index -> Bugs & Technical Questions -> (thread)". Anybody else experiencing that?

Yep, having that problem. I actually use that frequently too. It doesn't quite bother me as much as the fact that some of the posts are still showing as new, no matter how many times I visit them.
DaZ616

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:09 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Phew~, This means i wont be stuck with my current avatar for life. Good relief.

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
Aw man, I wish the old format was back. Without the spoiler tag, people will be spoiled by tagless ones. Without the colors and size button, how will we live like this.
EDIT: You can still put your tags in by typing them down by memory.

spoiler[No kidding. Just write it down.]

tempest wrote:
FYI: This wasn't a "format change" but rather a complete deletion and re-instalation of the forum software (while maintaining the existing database). It had just become too messed up following countless upgrades (all the way back to phpBB2 beta) and buggy mods (like the threaded view mod).

Hence the hickup a couple months ago?
Riyousha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Hopefully. Because I wanted to change my avatar into the one of Kakashi from Naruto.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote
Hm, good thing I picked a good avatar to stick to for the time being. Wouldn't mind keeping Ballot from Mardock Scramble for another good while.

With the exception of the missing spoiler tags and colored tags (I used it for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni!), and the missing reply button as well (although it takes no more than 5 more seconds to quote and delete the quoted post), this current "skin" functions and looks like pretty much every other phpBB-powered forum out there. It's kind of bland, but it helps me now appreciate all the great modifications made by ANN to the rather uninteresting default layout.

(And is it just me, or is every page in the forum loading faster right now?)
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:48 am Reply with quote
I have to say that I don't particularly like the fact that the thread topic title doesn't appear anymore. I look at so many posts via my e-mail topic notifications and via the forum directly, I get confused unless the thread title is listed.

I also hope that they bring back the spoiler tags as well, font size and color don't really matter to me.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't think *that* many bugs would pop up.

- added the button for the spoiler tag (but it was always possible to use it by just typing it in)
- fixed the missing avatar upload
- added latest thread title on index page
- fixed the skin problem
- added the topic title when replying

NOT BUGS:
- color/size tags were removed on purpose
- threaded view was removed on purpose; it's great for Q&A-type forums but not for discussions
- reply button is at the end of the thread because you're supposed to read the discussion before replying

bluepita wrote:
1) Although the index is showing new posts correctly, when I click on show new posts, it takes me to the posts that were new yesterday, which has not happened to me before.
I don't understand what you're talking about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:40 am Reply with quote
Oooooh. The e-mail topic reply notifications now have the thread title in the subject line. Thanks, that's nice.

I'm still getting the duplicate e-mails for each new notification, though. Sad

Also, is this...

The Shiny New Forums wrote:
Most users ever online was 1843 on Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:54 pm

...actually true? I don't think I have ever seen more than 150 or so on line at a time. What the heck was going on that day?

Last edited by ManOfRust on Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:44 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
- added the button for the spoiler tag (but it was always possible to use it by just typing it in)
- fixed the missing avatar upload
- added latest thread title on index page
- fixed the skin problem
- added the topic title when replying

NOT BUGS:
- color/size tags were removed on purpose
- threaded view was removed on purpose; it's great for Q&A-type forums but not for discussions
- reply button is at the end of the thread because you're supposed to read the discussion before replying

Yes, it is possible to do the spoiler tag manually, by typing [spoiler] and then repeating the process at the end, though I don't think some people don't know that you're supposed to put [/] before spoiler at the end.
It looks though that you can still put size on manually unless you prohibited it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7