• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kiddy Grade 2?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:01 pm Reply with quote
There's news floating about that there may be a second series of Kiddy Grade in the works. Near as I can gather at the moment is that Aya Hirano said something in the last Suzumiya Haruhi radio broadcast. Obviously I'm fairly excited, if this turns out to be true (original source was moonphase which I believe to be quite reliable) and I'll be trying to confirm what I can when I'm on my own computer at home.

I'll tracking any news I can locate here:

http://anime.thenexxus.org/blog/archives/2006/10/kiddy_grade_sea.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:08 pm Reply with quote
That'd be sweets. Unfortunately, that's hardly enough to get me excited quite yet; keep following it and let us know if it's true and/or you've checked it yourself. My policy? Cautious optimism.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently listening through what I think is the audio file where the news originated for the second time and not heard anything relevant yet, but then I can barely understand anything they're saying (not just my poor Japanese skills.. three exciteable Japanese girls in a booth means lots of high pitched squealing) and am doing other things at the same time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:58 pm Reply with quote
As long as it isn't episodic and actually deals more with a plot, like the second half of the first series, I'll be looking forward to it. Or at least make some of the episodic stuff a little more interesting.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Ah.. realised the problem.. I'm listening to issue 34 which is online, while I need 35... which isn't yet.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Kiddy Grade was pretty good, but does it actually need a sequel? I thought it was rather self-contained and did a good job of concluding the story. For me it's just not one of those titles that stands out as needing to flesh out the universe or delve into the characters more. Anyhow I'd definitely watch it if it were to come out.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:54 pm Reply with quote
They have developed a big universe with a lot of backstory to explore. There are also spinoff novels and manga with characters and organisations not shown in the anime. The first anime had a pretty open ending and I would welcome more.

gímik's Gemini Knives novel may have been set later in the same universe (cannot confirm as I cannot read most of it, but I did notice a date given in Star Century format) so it's always possible that they're actually making a Gemini Knives anime.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
gímik's Gemini Knives novel may have been set later in the same universe (cannot confirm as I cannot read most of it, but I did notice a date given in Star Century format) so it's always possible that they're actually making a Gemini Knives anime.

We can certainly hope. I've been jonesing for some Gemini Knives anime since the first official artwork came out for it.

Either way, though, Kiddy Grade was some damn good fun, and more certainly wouldn't hurt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Here's the MOON PHASE page that has the information about Kiddy Grade 2:

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/20060930#p1

The English translation from Matthew's Anime Blog:

Matthew's Anime Blog wrote:
MOON PHASE reports that during episode 35 of Haruhi SOS Dan Radio that Aya Hirano said that a second season of Kiddy Grade is in the works and that it will focus on what happens to Eclaire and Lumiere after the events of the first season. I've been waiting to see what gimik (Keiji Gotou, Megumi Kadonosono, Hidefumi Kimura) would be doing next after doing Uta~Kata with HAL Film Maker a couple of years ago since I did enjoy watching both that and Kiddy Grade, so I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

While this is still spectulation, to be honest I didn't expect to see Kiddy Grade receive a second series. But with the way the first series ended, I kind of figured that the possibility for a second series was there. From my understanding it looks like that the original VAs for Eclair and Lumiere (Ryoko Nagata and Aya Hirano respectively) will be back to reprise their roles, which is pretty sweet. Aya Hirano was only 15 years young when she recorded Lumiere I believe, and that performance was very good. Now that Aya has reach a level of superstardom thanks to some girl named Haruhi Suzumiya, her reprising of Lumiere could attract new fans to Kiddy Grade.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for more Kiddy Grade. My biggest complaint about the series (other than the craptastic last few episodes) was that Eclair and Lumierre's backstory was mostly implied or explained in a line or two of dialogue.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote
There were two episodes that delved into backstory, Look/Back and Lost/Days.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Kiddy Grade was pretty good, but does it actually need a sequel?

Good - but not great. Though, what else can be done with this story?

Quote:
Now that Aya has reach a level of superstardom thanks to some girl named Haruhi Suzumiya, her reprising of Lumiere could attract new fans to Kiddy Grade.

LOLI Question Question
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote
The sequel (the PV at least) has now been acknowledged by Keiji Gotoh on his site and blog:

http://goto.cute.or.jp/info/info.html
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/gocky_01/e/e68f8907e5f49a3f1e578a8134f38425
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I'm all for more Kiddy Grade. My biggest complaint about the series (other than the craptastic last few episodes) was that Eclair and Lumierre's backstory was mostly implied or explained in a line or two of dialogue.

That would be a good premise for the second season. Deal with more of their "past" lives so to speak. Maybe have some unresvoled issue be the focus of the second season. I wanna see more of Sinistra and Dextera. See more of their past. They were my favorites. Kiddy Grade was so damn good fun. I picked it up after seeing a brief preview on some funimation disc, I forget which one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1