• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online To Be Released Over 4 Parts

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shuurai25

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
Huh, really? I'm one of the people who still defends SAO and enjoyed watching it but I don't know what makes them think I'd want to pay £80-120 for it. It's better than some people give it credit for, but it's also still not that good.

But then again, having seen that Nisemonogatari is being milked as a 2 box release despite only being 11 episodes I suspect that Aniplex has something to do with this. Precedent says these aren't moves Manga have made willingly, especially considering they released series like Princess Jellyfish and Un-Go as 1 box releases (both are 11 episodes).

Oh well, can only hope they do actually release a complete edition of it I guess.
link2link8

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Shuurai25 wrote:
Huh, really? I'm one of the people who still defends SAO and enjoyed watching it but I don't know what makes them think I'd want to pay £80-120 for it. It's better than some people give it credit for, but it's also still not that good.

But then again, having seen that Nisemonogatari is being milked as a 2 box release despite only being 11 episodes I suspect that Aniplex has something to do with this. Precedent says these aren't moves Manga have made willingly, especially considering they released series like Princess Jellyfish and Un-Go as 1 box releases (both are 11 episodes).

Oh well, can only hope they do actually release a complete edition of it I guess.

I usually buy from Manga UK and can say they probably will do a complete edition, but I think it'll be way later after part 4 is released.

Not a huge fan of SAO so I'm still unsure if I should give this a miss or so... Well it's good to see more UK anime releases.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
So this is how Aniplex has decided to battle Euro-importation, eh?

Even though the price may seem steep at first, you're still getting it for less than HALF what AoA is charging for it. Not to mention those are SRP prices, so the final price is bound to be lower than that, AND Manga UK allows the use of coupons and discounts.

You're also getting it in a combo pack, which we're not getting, so that's one more advantage.

True, the lack of extras does suck, but for the major price difference, I think I can live with that. Cool

Last edited by SpacemanHardy on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Ooh this sounds like it might work out well for me as I only liked the first half of the series, so I can grab and appreciate that, then when/if the price drops I can pick up the later 2 sets just to add to the collection Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, they mention in the article that is was a license requirement to release in 4 sets if they wanted the series out as quickly as they are.
The price is more than regular titles, but compared to the US price, this is more than within reason.
No doubt Amazon UK will have each set at around the £20 price, which means £80 in total.

As for Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari, that is handled by MVM in the UK, not Manga.
No doubt it was also a license requirement to release in 2 sets, as that's what's happened with the Australian release as well, which usually splits the mastering costs with the UK license holder.
gtmacc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
Really want to buy this series but i refuse to go back to spending that sort of money on an anime series again!

Happy to wait for a completed box set.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
Shuurai25 wrote:
HPrecedent says these aren't moves Manga have made willingly, especially considering they released series like Princess Jellyfish and Un-Go as 1 box releases (both are 11 episodes).

Those are actually both Kaze releases so Manga was only involved in distribution and marketing, not in the production and licensing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
I have to ask why are British animé fans such cheap skates i paid £100 for my first DVD box set back in 2000 and i thought that was A OK.
Shuurai25

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
I have to ask why are British animé fans such cheap skates i paid £100 for my first DVD box set back in 2000 and i thought that was A OK.

Urgh, I hate it when people assume that complaining about anime prices is "being a cheap skate". It isn't. And it's actually kinda insulting that you think it is.

It's about the value of money and in turn, the value of anime or DVDs/BDs in general. If you think £80-120 is good value for an anime series, especially one as average as SAO, then you either have enough money that you don't share the same perspective or your idea of what money is actually worth is so warped you simply aren't able to understand why people complain.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't think you Brits have any room to complain about pricing when you compare it to the American price.

Ya'll have to pay, at the absolute most, £120. And that's the MSRP, which is guaranteed to go down. So you'll probably only be paying around £90-100.

Meanwhile, to get the exact same show on bluray, the US has to pay $360 dollars, or the equivalent of around £230. And that doesn't come in a handy-dandy combo pack like ya'll are getting.

You talk about expensive? YEAH. Now THAT'S expensive.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Meanwhile, to get the exact same show on bluray, the US has to pay $360 dollars, or the equivalent of around £230. And that doesn't come in a handy-dandy combo pack like ya'll are getting.

You talk about expensive? YEAH. Now THAT'S expensive.

I agree that $360 is expensive but the US does normally get "goodies" included with their releases. I.e. I have brought a couple if NIS releases for $70ish but got a large double sided cardboard case, Blu-ray and DVD in desperate cases & a hardback art book, where as the UK counter part was ether the blu-ray or DVD version in a bog standard case with normally just textless openings and endings as extras. If your lucky a few trailers maybe included.

But on the other hand we are able to pick up complete editions of series at a relatively cheap price I.e. The Big Windup S.A.V.E edition cost me around £25.

So on one hand we are lucky our box sets in comparison are relatively cheap but on the other hand we do get a poorer product.

Personally I would prefer to pay a higher price and get more (non-disc) extras which the US often gets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote
^ Honestly, I don't really see the value in the "goodies" that Aniplex offers. Soundtracks and artboxes are nice, sure, but most of the time they just throw in a bunch of paper junk like postcards, posters, and booklets.

Now, those things aren't that bad on their own, but they hardly justify doubling or sometimes even tripling the price of the show. And the fact that AoA rarely ever offers a "bare-bones" regular edition of any of their shows for people who aren't interested in all that extra crap just adds insult to injury.

I still think that using postcards as a "special feature" is the equivalent of giving your sweetheart a Walmart gift card for Valentine's Day. It's the sort of gift that says "Yeah, I technically got you something, but I didn't want to put any actual thought or effort into it, so here." Confused
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
Shuurai25 wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

Urgh, I hate it when people assume that complaining about anime prices is "being a cheap skate". It isn't. And it's actually kinda insulting that you think it is.

It's about the value of money and in turn, the value of anime or DVDs/BDs in general. If you think £80-120 is good value for an anime series, especially one as average as SAO, then you either have enough money that you don't share the same perspective or your idea of what money is actually worth is so warped you simply aren't able to understand why people complain.

I'm sorry but £3.20 per episode is more than fair at least then most of it doesn't get eaten up by the American studios which is the one thing i hate as a British fan
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
^ Honestly, I don't really see the value in the "goodies" that Aniplex offers. Soundtracks and artboxes are nice, sure, but most of the time they just throw in a bunch of paper junk like postcards, posters, and booklets.

Now, those things aren't that bad on their own, but they hardly justify doubling or sometimes even tripling the price of the show. And the fact that AoA rarely ever offers a "bare-bones" regular edition of any of their shows for people who aren't interested in all that extra crap just adds insult to injury.

I still think that using postcards as a "special feature" is the equivalent of giving your sweetheart a Walmart gift card for Valentine's Day. It's the sort of gift that says "Yeah, I technically got you something, but I didn't want to put any actual thought or effort into it, so here." Confused

I do see where your coming from - although I would pay extra for any little bits and pieces to add to a collection, there is a limit and tripling the price is excessive for say a few post cards and a poster.

I personally think because we are given so little anything more to me is appealing but if it was the other way around and I always had to pay more for "extras", which really aren't extras because there isn't a stand alone edition, then yeh I would probably get frustrated.

To end things on a positive from a UK prospective is that our complete collections are cheap in comparison so if I want extras I can buy say a figure or an art book separately.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote
In my day* a show like Angelic Layer cost me £140.93* - on DVD and with no off-disc extras other than possible booklets. It didn't seem as bad since that cost was spread over multiple volumes over many months. The DVD version of this show is at the exact same RRP - £19.99 - but no-one actually pays RRP these days and it's over 4 volumes, not 6.

* less than 10 years ago
** It should be £139.93 but I remember Virgin priced the one volume £1 over RRP for some reason and they were the only place that had it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2