• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RWBY (Web Series).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I have the same problem I had with the Katawa Shoujo game, which is that it feels like instead of taking inspiration from anime and making something new, they are just doing mimicry. It seems like such a waste of time, energy, and motivation.

The voice acting in particular is rough. They were able to start Red vs Blue without voice actors because "stand around and complain" dialog didn't really require them to do much "acting." I think it was a mistake to expect to pull off a similar approach with a show like this.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Five episodes in, and I have to say, that whole process of choosing your partners has to be one of the most contrived things I have ever seen; it pretty much borders on absurd. There's nothing much to add except that ep. 5 pretty much exploded on the shipping between Ruby and Weiss.

You have interesting points there, jsc315, and those were pretty much on par what Zac and JesuOtaku said in Twitter when they witnessed RWBY. Now I'm wondering if those criticisms will get through Monty Oum and his team so they can be aware and make necessary improvements. In the back of my mind, I want this to succeed but in a way where it doesn't feel like derivative cotton candy.
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I ended up dropping it. The whole doki doki kawaii neko desu bullcrap ended up getting to me. If the rest of the production was "amazing" then I could have possibly swallowed such an offensive drawback but sadly that's not the case. Everything else in the production wasn't so good but just got worse the further the show went.

I think it would've gone better as series of combat-oriented music videos. They shouldn't have used dialogue at all and just built a world through similarities in who and where the different fights were taking place. I saw a short Starwars fan film like that back in the early 90's and it was really cool because the fights were great but you had a perfect grasp of the story just by what happened during the fights.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
My major issues are models looking like they are ripped from Gurren Lagann, Idol Master, Nanoha, BRS and Tales of Xilla (probably more too). Not only that but they look like fan altered models of MMD bases. It is a mess of things copied and pasted. I see nothing original. It just seems like nothing special at all. at bes it is a good fan attempt. Nothing more. People make better projects on Nico Nico too.

Also the voice acting is just horrendous and I can't even stand to listen or take anything serious. The animation mistakes also don't help anything. Overall they are trying to be too ambitious and the outcome isn't kind.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Your speculation is interesting, but I am not sufficiently learned to speak to it.

Looks like the natives are getting restless in the public thread.

willag wrote:
Of course, it could just be because of the animation schedule.

I might be getting too hung up on consistency. As there're no advertisers to please or network schedules to fit in, they can do what they want.

willag wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
Each character's 'landing strategy' seemed indicative of their personalities in some way. Yang was definitely having big, brassy, fiery fun.

Yes, I think so as well. Pyrrha is gonna be another powerhouse if the way she crashed through those trees is any indication. Perhaps not with the same gusto as Yang, but still there.

She did plow through those things like a champ. I gotta love a redhead who plows through solid wood like its balsa.

I'm curious to see what she's like in a scrap. They've tried to imbue her with a certain elegance or dignity, but her landing strategy suggests that might not be strictly the case. One presumes that fire might be involved.

willag wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
I think I begin to see what they're trying to do with Pyrhha...

Yeah, I'm liking her more. She's a very earnest individual. And I can see her as someone with a firm code of honor, never one to betray her teammates. I thought her "I'm sorry!" for pinning Jaune a second time - despite saving him - was cute.

Note to self: Double <r>, single, <h>, which you could have found it in like five second with a search, dummy.

I suspect that at their hearts, Pyrrha and Jaune might have similar psychologies, but they manifest very differently because of differences in what they've experienced in life and other ways. Pyrrha's rather extensive personnel success has licensed her to be more confident and secure, but she's might be fundamentally as much as a sweet, earnest dork as Jaune, just more refined and guarded. If they see value in their respective differences overlying a similar underlying character, that might give them a tight dynamic and definite bond, although it might also limit the form said bond could take.

willag wrote:
That fandom interaction can really help make a series more enjoyable for me (as if anyone couldn't tell with my mile-long write-ups after each episode).

They've been enjoyable to read, even if I can't match your level of attention and investment.

willag wrote:
Three, just the characters in general. I like the personalities that have shown up and I like how they're being presented, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of them.

I've found the cast surprisingly likeable myself, as I think I've mentioned. Admittedly, when you have a cast like this, it's catnip to me. I'm a little loth to slip into old habits, but I can't help but notice that not only is the cast predominantly female, but most of the 'energy' that moves and sustains any given scene comes from them. I think that's kind of impressive for a production company that came from a gaming background.

I wonder what the gender demographics of the fanbase are. Years ago I'd've just assumed, "pfft, dudes watch this," but nowadays, that's a rather foolish assumption. (Oh, how the world hath changed!) I don't know why I keep getting surprised by this.

I think that they've done best at setting up pretty believable dynamics between pairs, especially long-standing ones like Ruby and Yang. This is a good place to start from, but what will be interesting is seeing if they can keep things steady when they 'expand the sphere' by dealing with larger group dynamics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:07 am Reply with quote
I expected some might not like the show so i will respect your opinions.

However, a group of users from another forum heard what you guys said.

What was their reaction? Anger? Nope.

Their reaction was to laugh on all of the criticisms which one user i think said "was tame compare to 4chan."

Some of them do agree of your views that it's not anime or the cliche tropes used but the voice acting they didn't see anything wrong as the dub was fine since their VAs did a good job on their characters and is no different what most of today's American cartoons show.

I remember reading on Kotaku that Japanese fans like the show(There's about 980+ fanart on Pixiv last time i checked) with the common criticism they have is that the episodes are short.

While the show might not be everyone's Cup of Tea, you gotta to admit the show has gained a large number of viewers and fans.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quote
So I took a quick look at this since it had popped up on my Amazon recommended list. My initial reaction was that it came off as...crude.

Backgrounds look out of a video game from like 15 years ago. Black silhouettes for background and foreground characters that are not the main cast...not good. End of second episode there's about 5-10 seconds before the ending credits roll and the video goes to black except the characters are still talking. Not good. There's a chibi scene which came off visually awkward. It felt forced and I didn't think it really belonged with the rest of the style of the show. Again not good. I wasn't really impressed with the dialogue in that it didn't always feel natural. The whole thing feels like someone took their favorite parts of anime shows and tried to mash it together into their own story.

On the other hand, while I didn't care for the dialogue much I thought the voices of the actors were fine. I can't really find fault with that. The music is also ok. I've certainly heard worse. I do think they captured the essence of some of the characters which is a positive. I also kind of like that the episodes are short and quickly digestible. I would say that its acceptable as an early effort by some fledgling group. Does it make me want to watch more? Not really, some of the visual deficiencies are really off putting to me. Would I pay for the BD that is pre-order up on Amazon? No way Jose.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote
I've added this to my Crunchyroll queue but not looked at it yet. Never got into RvB, but I am fond of their "Real Life vs Internet" skit.
willag wrote:
[color=blue]RWBY "White" (Trailer)

Character: Weiss Schnee (voiced by Kara Eberle)
  • Her first name, Weiss, is German for "White" while her surname, Schnee, is German for "Snow", thus combining to "White Snow".

Fairy Tale Influence: Snow White

I don't know if it is worth mentioning, but Schneeweißchen is the other Snow White.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
However, a group of users from another forum heard what you guys said.

What? Where? I only ask because I'd be curious to see first-hand what others are specifically saying about my posts. It's kind of rude to say a line like that and not back it up with a link. It's the internet equivalent of office whispers.

As for RBWY's japanese reception I'll hold out on actual japanese votes. The pixiv fanart tally is mostly all alts of deviantart users by the looks of it (don't go by username since everyone can type in kanji. Go by the actual posts and accounts themselves). I fell pray to this same thing once too when I thought Wakfu was surprisingly popular in Japan but it turned out it was all deviantart folk on pixiv.

I can see the characters themselves getting noticed in Japan because characters and source aren't manditorily inclusive to one another (hence the mountains of Flandre Scarlet love long before Touhou became the colossus it is now. Most artists hadn't even played it at that point. They just knew Flandre.) but I certainly can't see them accepting this show as it is, especially since their doujin circles have raised the bar so much higher already.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am Reply with quote
I've found it... okay. Enough to keep going. I certainly wouldn't call it terrible, but I don't have many rebuttals for most of the criticism it's drawn.

It feels like a cheaper variant of American sitcom, and I have conflicting feelings about that. On the one hand, its anime-like appeal makes it somewhat cute, and the distinct American comedic personality here is refreshing in the sense that it is being combined with what is generally thought of as an eastern visual style and character tropes (Weiss is... just about as tsun as it gets without devolving into physical abuse). On the other, I really don't feel any love for American sitcoms because almost nothing interesting happens in them: they're carried not by story or character depth, but by cheap one-liners, fake "drama", and the occasional laughtracks. In terms of character delivery, I'd call this a step up from that, bar the laughtracks, but not a big step.

Not enough goes on in each episode, either: I am actually having difficulty imagining how Rooster Teeth expect this to be an eventful first season at only sixteen episodes with the way things are going, especially considering that they are not consistent in length. They really should have rethought the production model on this, either to allow more episodes for the season, or to make each episode longer.

Still, for reasons I can't really explain, it has a certain charm to it, not to mention that there is always the promise of Oum's famous fight scenes. It looks like we might be getting one next episode.

Also, definitely not a bad soundtrack, by any means.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying it for what it is. Compared to some professional stuff... eh, it's passable. But compared to a lot of other web original stuff, it's fantastic. It's flaws don't bother me, and the traits I like I really like. I love positive sister relationships in media (it's surprising how rare they seem to be), the music is great for a web series, and the fights are just awesome.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
For the curious someone actually did an MMD rendition of the Red trailer to show what it would look like. It looks pretty good actually but not quite as polished as the original
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I watched what was available up to now on Youtube, but I think I'm going to need like 10 more episodes to release before I start watching again. Too little happens between credit rolls for my liking. Aside from that, I think there may be too many characters for the Rooster Teeth style to work. I don't know, I guess we'll see.

As an aside, do people pronounce the title as "Ruby?"

EDIT: Oh, I should add that I only started watching now because of some of the comments about bad voice acting here, but I think it's fine.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
As an aside, do people pronounce the title as "Ruby?"

Yeah. Though it's merely spelled "Rwby" as one giant title pun between the color schemes of the four main characters and one of the main character's name. Lots of story titles work that way.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying RWBY very much... it's a hilarious nod to anime by the crazy guys from Rooster Teeth and has it's own feel. Griff ball was a game they made up for an episode of R v B and it made it into Halo 4 release... maybe we can get a "landing strategy" online based game... LOL

I really like how the non-essential characters/"extras" are blacked out silhouettes yet still have voices and dialogue for background information...very nice use of limited resources.

Yellow trailer is my favorite (reminds me very much of Catblue Dynamite) and I'm glad the direction of the series seems most like the Yellow trailer - comedy series giving homage to anime. It found it's groove and hilarity in episode 4 and has a certain special charm that is all it's own. Can't wait for episode 6 and beyond.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 19