• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Criteria for Priority Adds

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:11 pm Reply with quote
In another topic Dormcat mentioned his criteria for deciding what manga are a priority to aprove (this is an issue because we have so many titles waiting to be aproved).

dormcat wrote:
1. Manga adapted to/from anime.
2. Manga from manga-ka whose other manga title(s) have been adapted to/from anime.
3. Manga from manga-ka whose works are well known and are already in the Encyclopedia.
4. Manga which have found their way to North America.
5. Excellent titles from rookies (their first tankoubon). This criteria is rather subjective.
6. Average titles with manga-ka who has drawn few, if any, other titles, and none of his/her other works (if any) has been included in the Encyclopedia yet.

The priority list can be similarly applied to anime, although it is less of an issue because there aren't nearly as many anime as there are manga.

However I feel that 4. Manga which have found their way to North America. should really be #1. All licensed (non-adult) titles should be the priority.

I figured I'd sticky this so people can see how we prioritise what to add.

Its worth noting that the submission process and, more importantly, the aproval process will be radically different in the new encyclopedia.

-t
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote
This may have been asked before, but when is the new encyclopedia due to come out? On top of that, what is the ratio between pending manga titles versus pending anime titles?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:47 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
However I feel that 4. Manga which have found their way to North America. should really be #1. All licensed (non-adult) titles should be the priority.

A reason I didn't put it higher because of the taste of choice of American licensors are quite different from that of Oriental ones. Often I found newly-licensed manga in NA are authored by some lesser known and less experienced manga-ka, yet some very famous manga-ka, like Yukinobu Hoshino, Hidenori Hara and Fujihiko Hosono, have few or even no title licensed, and their names are rarely mentioned, or even known, among American fans.

This ain't right.

I know that ANN was established to serve mainly for English-speaking North Americans, but people around the world have gathered to contribute their knowledge and passion to a Japanese culture and, compared to the rather young manga licensing industry in US, many European and Asian can read them in many other different languages. I've said it two years ago that I'd rather not see ANN to become a "licensing information database" (of which, Anime on DVD does a pretty good job), and I've repeated it twice.

Perhaps jgreen's view would be more similar to yours?

jgreen wrote:
1. Manga available in English
2. Manga that are based on/the basis for an anime available in English
3. Other manga by creators whose work is available in English
4. Manga which are considered "classics" even if they aren't available in English (all of which, I'm sure, are already listed at this point, but if I were building from the ground up blah blah blah...)
5. The newest "hot" manga in Japan that is destined to be exported
6. Everything else

Another issue is the difficulty of obtaining correct and reliable information. Sometimes a press release from an US licensor contains only the translated English (not romaji) title of the said manga, as well as the name of the author(s) (in some worst cases, even the name of manga-ka wasn't provided). However, it's not uncommon that

- the title has been changed significantly during translation
- manga was obcured enough to be identified only by artwork (sometimes there's no artwork to use as a reference at all)
- manga-ka was lesser known or even a rookie
- no info of the original publisher (Shogakukan, Shueisha, Kodansha, Hakusensha, Akita Shoten, Kadokawa Shoten, etc.)

When all three disadvantages combined, with only a translated English title and a romaji name of unknown origin, I found it almost impossible to look it up in its Japanese form. In some unlucky case I have to crawl all over the Internet and try all kinds of keyword combinations for two hours just for one title, and in other cases I found them already listed in the Encyclopedia under Japanese (romaji) title. The same situation applies to hentai anime titles as well.

Just for your information: I do have a "#0" criterium: manga (and anime) mentioned in the news. If a title was mentioned in the news and yet it hasn't been included, I'd drop what I'm doing and add them immediately. Furthermore, if any US-licensed manga fits first three criteria as well I'd add them immediately. Finally, I'm not the only encyclopedist left approving new titles, am I? Wink

fighterholic wrote:
On top of that, what is the ratio between pending manga titles versus pending anime titles?

Right now it's about 7:2. Time 100 and you get the real numbers. Plus ~450 error reports.

A big problem for manga is, unlike anime that all new ones have their own website(s) and even old ones have at least some form of information can be found, information for manga titles are much more obscure. Only the most popular manga and their author can have independent website, and any title with a bit vintage (pre-millennium) has little information available outside the publisher site (e.g. S-Book for Hitotsubashi Group) or Amazon.jp. You might have noticed that many manga has no picture to be displayed; that's because most manga doesn't have a displayable picture other than a cover page cluttered with text, and in some unlucky cases (usually very old titles) even a cover is not available.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
atlantima

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Just for your information: I do have a "#0" criterium: manga (and anime) mentioned in the news. If a title was mentioned in the news and yet it hasn't been included, I'd drop what I'm doing and add them immediately.

Define "the news". In theory, that could mean anything from the Wall Street Journal to the student paper at a high school.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote
atlantima wrote:
Define "the news".

News on the front page of this website.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
tyciol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know how to submit a series for approval to begin with? I only know how to make changes to pages that exist but not how to add new ones.

In this case the Oni Chichi series has new anime released after the last one we currently have listed, which is OCC Reborn from 2011.

Since then, two more (Revenge and Rebuild) were released in 2013 but do not have pages and I am not sure how to create them or make sure they are properly listed as sequels to Reborn.

I do know the official pages for them but since this is a hentai series I don't know if it is okay to link them in the forums, even though the other OCC articles have direct links to their sites.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1